Texas doctors could face death penalty for abortions.

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:56 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I agree, both parties woman AND man should give permission.
Parents need to know because it can cause health problems.
Abortion is NOT a decision to be made by the governement or any f-n religious group...

x-(

and how sister! i thought you were running from this topic?

question: and i really don't know the answer so no laughing at me...i know planned parenthood provides free women's care, but do they do free abortions? or is there a group out there that does?
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:32 am
If true, Texas will be followiing the foot steps of the Third Reich. Abortion was a capitol crime under Nazi law.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 12:59 pm
Yeah and it's interesting to wonder if those 'nasty republican christian holier than thou law makers' would have the same opinion if one of their daughter's had been raped or their life was in danger due to the pregnancy. I don't believe in abortion as a means of birth control, but in some instances it should be legal.....parent/guardian should be involved in any case.....nuf said...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 04:04 pm
This thread is a perfect example of how knee-jerk in nature reactions are to anything and everything about abortion.

Irrespective of whether or not anyone intended for the death penalty to be used in cases where a doctor performs an illegal abortion, it will not be an issue if doctors don't perform illegal abortions.

In any case, it's extremely unlikely that a doctor performing an illegal abortion is going to sentenced to death.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 12:15 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Irrespective of whether or not anyone intended for the death penalty to be used in cases where a doctor performs an illegal abortion, it will not be an issue if doctors don't perform illegal abortions.

Indeed. Just as if the state mandated the death penalty for illegal left turns, it would not be an issue if people simply refrained from making illegal left turns.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 12:36 pm
over the years, i've noticed that a reaction is deemed either appropos or knee jerk depending on what side of the issue a person is standing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 04:49 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Indeed. Just as if the state mandated the death penalty for illegal left turns, it would not be an issue if people simply refrained from making illegal left turns.

True, and imagine how many fewer illegal left turns there would be if it were a capital offense.

If, inadvertently, an illegal left turn became a capital offense, people found guilty of the offense would not be executed any more than doctors in Texas performing illegal executions will be under this legislation.

Out of curiosity, are you equating illegal left turns and illegal abortions in grade of societal offense?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 04:52 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
over the years, i've noticed that a reaction is deemed either appropos or knee jerk depending on what side of the issue a person is standing.

Have you? How glib.

One need not be on other side of an issue to recognize when a reaction is reflexive and not the product of serious thought.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 05:12 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Have you? How glib.

One need not be on other side of an issue to recognize when a reaction is reflexive and not the product of serious thought.

One need only note that the post came from Finn.... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:41 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Out of curiosity, are you equating illegal left turns and illegal abortions in grade of societal offense?

Nope, just pointing out how ridiculous your initial statement was.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:34 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Have you? How glib.

hey! who you callin' glib, buddy ? Laughing

jeez, how much prolonged, overarching analysis do you want it to take when i've seen a situation over and over again?

you don't have to agree with my opinion. s'okay by me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:30 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Have you? How glib.

One need only note that the post came from Finn.... Twisted Evil

Now that is glib.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:33 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Nope, just pointing out how ridiculous your initial statement was.

With an entirely inappropriate comparison? Well, I guess in your world it works.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:36 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Have you? How glib.

jeez, how much prolonged, overarching analysis do you want it to take when i've seen a situation over and over again?

Aphorisms and opinions are not the same thing.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 01:35 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Have you? How glib.

Aphorisms and opinions are not the same thing.

really enjoying yourself, aren't you ? :wink:
0 Replies

tonyf

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:43 pm
abortion
“a human being who has been born and is alive” to “a human being who is alive, including an unborn child at every stage of gestation, from fertilization until birth.”

Is this patently a nonsense? Surely "human being" implies sentience & sapience; an unborn child is not sapient, nor sentient - both of which imply learned behaviour....which brings in nurture vs nature. The quote above used to define a human being impies creationism, which in itself is medieval and harks back to the Dark Ages.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:27 pm
It's the "from fertilization" part that cracks me up. Who's going to be charged when a fertilized ovum fails to implant in the uterus? God? The "mother?"
0 Replies

tonyf

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:48 pm
DrewDad wrote:
It's the "from fertilization" part that cracks me up. Who's going to be charged when a fertilized ovum fails to implant in the uterus? God? The "mother?"

or the fertilizer? Or maybe the whole reasoning behind the quote is simply verbal fertilizer :wink:
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:57 pm
Re: abortion
tonyf wrote:
"a human being who has been born and is alive" to "a human being who is alive, including an unborn child at every stage of gestation, from fertilization until birth."

Is this patently a nonsense? Surely "human being" implies sentience & sapience; an unborn child is not sapient, nor sentient - both of which imply learned behaviour....which brings in nurture vs nature. The quote above used to define a human being impies creationism, which in itself is medieval and harks back to the Dark Ages.

It is interesting that you find this statement "patently a nonsense." (Only tangentially because "nonsense" is rarely, if ever, considered a noun)

How do you come to the conclusion that "human being" implies sentience, or, for that matter, sapience?

Your argument (assuming you understand the meaning of these two words) implies that the unconscious and the dull are not human beings.

Consciousness (sentience) most definitely does not imply learned behavior.

I surely cannot prove that a fetus is self-aware, but I challenge you to prove it is not. Considering that we are discussing this issue in the context of killing the fetus, doesn't it seem to make sense to give the fetus the benefit of the doubt?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 09:34 pm
....and that makes sense to me, Finn. How does someone prove a fetus is not self-aware? There is evidence from medical staff who perform abortions that the fetus feels pain (from its expressions). I could get more graphic having been in the medical field but I won't. Also speaking of conscious vs un or nonconscious humans- a person with Alzheimer's, coma or advanced dementia is not aware of their surroundings. They often respond to pain stimuli such as a fetus will demonstrate. Does that make them less human or as human as a fetus? I have one thing to say to some of you who advocate abortion as a means of birth control - aren't you glad your mom decided to keep you?
0 Replies