Dating Advice Needed

DarLill

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:30 am
Hi all! Smile

I'm returning to the dating scene after many years of being away from it. Alot has changed!

I need a little advice about personal ads. I haven't put myself out there yet but I have been looking. Some things I see bother me though.

It looks like some of the women are focusing on sex and not what they have to offer as a person. I know men think about sex all the time but I personally want a complete person for a mate and not a "sexpot". Maybe it's shallow of me but it makes me wonder how many men she's used her "charms" on. I don't think it's wrong for any person to do as they please sexually but in today's world of STD's I plan on being very picky about who I take that chance with.

I have my pet peeves too. It bugs me when someone can't spell a simple words in their name or description. This is your presentation! Take the time to spell correctly and use coherent sentences.

Another thing I see is pictures where you can't really see the person's face. I'm not looking for a beauty queen but if you put a picture on your profile with your face in shadows I'm going to wonder if you look like an ogre or if you look ok but have terrible self esteem.

I've also had bad experiences meeting people on the net in general. There was one woman I met through a message board and everyone said she was nice but then I found out she was befriending posters and learning their secrets and then threatening to tell all! And not for money either. It was all some twisted way of controlling people. How weird is that?

Anyway I'm sorry for this stream of consciousness post. I guess I needed to vent and to ask if anyone out there can give me some tips for dealing with meeting people online.

I may not be around much in the next few days so thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 605 • Replies: 2
No top replies

confused girl

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:38 pm
hey

im not sure how suited i am to giving advice, as im relatively inexperienced in relationships as a whole lol but what i will say is of my four relationships, three of them have begun as a result of an encounter online.

(the fourth is a second try for myself and my first bf who i met on the internet)

i used faceparty - at first it wasnt to meet men, in fact that has never been my intention but it just happened.

after browsing through i have recently discovered that people of all ages use this site, and many dont just sell themselves, you can view profiles of the people and find out about them.

of course there are abusers of the profile, those who have links to indecent websites, but you can generally tell who they will be in the case of women.

www.faceparty.com

there are people there of all ages up to 60+ from what i have discovered

be yourself, but dont put yourself under threat by exposing too many personal details, and browse to your hearts content.

there are so many people out there who are just looking for a bit of companionship, which may and inevitably does develop into something more over time.

good luck!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:22 pm
Hey Dar.
Welcome to A2K Smile

Hmm. Well, I don't have a lot of experience with meeting men/women online (with the specific intent of looking for a romantic partner). I have generally avoided the dating sites; after purusing in curiousity, I got back a lot of horrible matches. Plus, I have never been one for organized meeting anyhow. Too much pressure for me.

I have met some good friends who have continued into my real life; and one man became a serious relationship. I never intended it that way: but we turned out to have so much in common.

It sounds like you are looking for a just a nice girl who you can possibly get to know more seriously. A real relationship.
I have found, that just like in real life, it tends to work out easier if you start out getting to know some people as friends. (above post was a good suggestion). Start linking up and socializing on sites that interest you.

Also, this gives some more time to see if the person is just pulling your chain and lying. Unfortunately; it is very easy to misrepresent ourselves online. There are vampires and all-kinds prowling the sites. Exactly like regular dating Laughing

I wish you a lot of luck. Keep trying! And remember: there are plenty of nice women out there. Cool

cheers
0 Replies