Friendship ~ in any form

Rae

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 12:00 am
Friend (frend) n. [M E. frend, freond, friend, lover, akin to G. fruend, prp. of Gmc. *frijon, to love 1. A person whom one knows well and is fond of; intimate associate; close acquaintance. 2. A person on the same side in a struggle; one who is not an enemy or foe. 3. A supporter or sympathizer.

I recently met, for the first time, my best friend. We became acquainted with each other through a penpal site and hit it off immediately.

The clincher is that my friend lives in Germany ~ I live in Florida.

At the time we 'met' online, he had already had a vacation confirmed for Florida. During the time that we got to know each other a little better, he rearranged his trip for a forty-eight stopover in my town.

That visit has since passed and I miss my friend terribly.

I've never been one to have too many friends ~ one or two at a time is about all I can handle because I feel guilty if I can't give enough time to each person.

My question(s), I suppose.....

How do you define friendship? What keeps the relationship going for you? How quickly do you retain a 'friend'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,916 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 12:48 am
But Rae, like a lot of words, I don't bother to define it. It just happens and you know it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 03:33 pm
I like it when it 'just happens', too, Roger. Very Happy
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 08:31 pm
To me, a friend is somebody who is there when you most need them. It's someone whom you can not see or talk to for months or even years and then when you do see them the relationship picks up right where you left off.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 09:03 pm
Thanks, bandylu.....That's exactly how I feel about Matt ~ my friend from Germany.

When we met finally, face-to-face, it was instant recognition. And during the two short days we had, it felt like we'd know each other forever.

Unconditional acceptance is the first thing that comes to mind ~ I know that's how we both feel about each other. I have found that to be a very rare occurence in my lifetime.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 09:14 pm
Generally speaking, unconditional acceptance is given by dogs and parents (and not always by them). It is rare that one finds it even among one's very good friends. Sounds like the start of very long relationship. Hope you can find a way to overcome the distance thing. That is a bit of a bummer.
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 06:34 am
Greetings from Motown!

A teacher once told that me that a friend is oftentimes a stranger we have yet to meet. I am blessed with many kindred spirits in my life. Some are very close geographically, some very far away. I maintain contact with those far away mostly by e-mail and occassionally by snail mail or phone calls.
Some are friends (even those local ones) who are not in constant contact but who seem to float in and out of my life as time and situations occur.
I think at this point, e-mail will be your best way of maintaining contact with Matt.
Good luck!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 07:50 pm
Thanks bandylu ~ no need to really 'overcome' the distance thing ~ he's quite happy in Germany.....and I'm quite happy here. One of the great things about this friendship is that we both have really cool places to visit for vacation!

(Hope I haven't given the impression this is a 'romantic' thing ~ it isn't.)

Jesusgirl ~ first of all.....Welcome! So glad you're here!

Matt and I do keep in touch during the week via email and he calls every other week. (I would be happy to call him, but he knows that I've just started working again after a brief lapse in jobs!)

I've just thought of a brilliant topic!.....Off to post it now..... Idea
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 06:14 pm
What a neat question, and, though I am entering this thread late it makes me recall what my father said when I was 7 years old when I asked him; he told me a friend.." is the person who walks you home with their arm around you after you strike out in the baseball game.."
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 06:17 pm
Welcome to the site colorific!

Your grandfather is very wise. Very Happy
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:50 pm
Thanks Rae, and for the neat topic
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:57 pm