Cults: A Handy Reference Guide - real handy

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:01 pm
If we go to a planet where there is intelligent life, will we send missionaries to tell them Jesus died for their sins?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:03 pm
Obviously Jesus would have to die on each planet.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:12 pm
Why?

Fox thinks her friend created everything.

Sat that were true, why would each planet, given that its inhabitants needed "saving", need separate "saving"?

Couldn't there be one big economy size one?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:13 pm
LOL. I've been teaching comparative religions and history of religious thought for a long, long, time D, and that is the very first time anybody has come up with that one. May I use it?

(Edited to correct spelling error in honor of the spelling police)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:16 pm
A core of the Christian doctrine is that God, in the form of Christ had to become a Man-- that is to live as a human-- in order to act as a sacrifice for the sin of humans. His death as experienced as a human was a big part of it.

Aliens on another planet would not be humans.

Clearly Jesus would have to experience life and death as a Yachxra in order to act as a sacrifice for the sins of Yachxras. And as a Kjraynoon for the sins of the Kjraynoons.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:19 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
LOL. I've been teaching compartive religions and history of religious thought for a long, long, time D, and that is the very first time anybody has come up with that one. May I use it?

Lol. Sure. There's a million where that one came from.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:20 pm
Cult=
Quote:
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
The followers of such a religion or sect.
A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
The object of such devotion.
An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.
[Latin cultus, worship, from past participle of colere, to cultivate.]

Apparently "cult" is simple another word for protestantism.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:22 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
A core of the Christian doctrine is that God, in the form of Christ had to become a Man-- that is to live as a human-- in order to act as a sacrifice for the sin of humans. His death as experienced as a human was a big part of it.

Clearly Jesus would have to experience life and death as a Yachxra in order to act as a sacrifice for the sins of Yachxras. And as a Kjraynoon for the sins of the Kjraynoons.

But, surely "Human" and "man" (sic) are just our local names for sentient life forms, dreamed up long before we knew there were other worlds.

Surely the putative creator makes no distinction between the essential qualities of we drab little primates and the splendid peacock jewelled 20 foot glittering glories of the X8@@nyzzzzyppts of Zzzzy^^lppttqursysty?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:37 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

Suppose those Yachxras and Kjraynoons might have a different history with God? Perhaps their Adam & Eve didn't sin? Point being, the redemption of Christ need not apply across the Universe. At least that's my lay opinion.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:38 pm
Gee, you even spelled them right Tico. Way to go.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:41 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Gee, you even spelled them right Tico. Way to go.

It's called "cut & paste" Foxy. Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:45 pm
Tralfamadorians look like toilet plungers with a single eye at the top of the handle. They find humanoids curious.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:48 pm
Tell, me Tico and Fox, do you actually, really, believe in Adam and Eve?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:51 pm
Actually, Philip Wylie asked the question about Jesus dying for aliens' sins back in the fifties. In the same book, he mentioned that if Jesus had been killed in modern times, Christians might be wearing electric chair images about their necks instead of crosses. (Would be hypdermic needles today).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:53 pm
dlowan wrote:

Of course.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:05 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Suppose those Yachxras and Kjraynoons might have a different history with God? Perhaps their Adam & Eve didn't sin? Point being, the redemption of Christ need not apply across the Universe. At least that's my lay opinion.

I already posited they needed "saving" for some reason. Th ealiens who do not need it are excluded from our sample.

Still say we can't have a super kingsize multigalactic redemption?

Bearing in mind that each lot can have it at a different time, cos the lightwaves will take so long to reach them.

Unless there is a miracle.

Tico, are you kidding me, or are you actually saying you believe in the Bible story of Adam and Eve?

Don't mess with me! Please!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:11 pm
dlowan wrote:
I already posited they needed "saving" for some reason. Th ealiens who do not need it are excluded from our sample.

Bearing in mind that each lot can have it at a different time, cos the lightwaves will take so long to reach them.

As I said, God works in mysterious ways. Who are you to suggest God's plan of redemption isn't appropriate in some way, or you have a better solution?

Of course you don't, but are merely projecting your doubt in God and Christ.

dlowan wrote:
Tico, are you kidding me, or are you actually saying you believe in the Bible story of Adam and Eve?

I am a born again Christian, Debra. I understand you to be an atheist or agnostic, or whatever. Don't try and bring me down with you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:12 pm
Dlowan writes
Quote:

Certainly. Humankind had to start somewhereand somehow, and at some point it had to learn the difference between doing it right and sin. I call that origin and human progress Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve require 10 letters to write or say. The other way takes 134 letters. I go for efficiency.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:14 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:

As I said, God works in mysterious ways. Who are you to suggest God's plan of redemption isn't appropriate in some way, or you have a better solution?

Of course you don't, but are merely projecting your doubt in God and Christ.

dlowan wrote:

I am a born again Christian, Debra. I understand you to be an atheist or agnostic, or whatever. Don't try and bring me down with you.

And do not spell my name wrong.

Down is relative, Tico.

I am stunned.

How many literal bible believers are there in the USA? Does anyone know?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:16 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Dlowan writes
Quote:

Certainly. Humankind had to start somewhereand somehow, and at some point it had to learn the difference between doing it right and sin. I call that origin and human progress Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve require 10 letters to write or say. The other way takes 134 letters. I go for efficiency.

So do you believe in the whole literal bible thing?

Or are you doing an "Adam and Eve as metaphor" thing?
0 Replies