What is a Chav!

benacre

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
In the UK we have the term CHAV! what is a Chav & how do they fit into the British Social Structure?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,270 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:05 pm
Well, since you're in the UK while many of us are not, perhaps you'd care to explain what CHAV stands for?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:09 pm
This has come up here before -- if I remember right it's something like the UK version of "trailer trash".
0 Replies

benacre

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 01:42 am
http://www.chavscum.co.uk/
Found this. It is the lower class scum of the UK
0 Replies

benacre

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 01:43 am
Lottery Winner Michael Carrol from the UK is King of Chavs
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 06:36 am
Ah, now I see. Thanx for that link, ben.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:14 pm
well here we have scumbags, tinkers and travellers!!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:03 am
Dont forget pikeys!!

I believe I witnessed a 10 year old pikey as they used there hand to suggest a finger based insult as I drove past him.

So sweet, the kids of today.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:40 am
The word "Chav" originates from a newspaper journalist, who was attempting to describe the awful fashion/lifestyle trend in question, and in his article, he used the town of Cheltenham.

He picked this town, because it is boringly average and nondescript. This suited his needs, as he was trying to illustrate how boringly nondescript these particular fashion followers are, and how they haven't got the brain power to show any form of individuality. This is demonstated by the fact that they all follow like sheep, but the funny thing about them is that they think they are somehow glamorous and that their outfits and chunky jewellery are somehow sophisticated.

The term "Cheltenham Average" (meaning the most boring, unsophisticated thing on the planet) very quickly shortened to...Chav.

Classic Chav wear is anything with the Burberry tartan.

I hope that, one day they will look back and laugh, but in all probability they will still be wearing the tartan, and feeling glam.
0 Replies

sculptin

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:10 am
I have heard several theories on this,
My favourite one was:

Council
House
And
Violent

which suits them pretty well where I come from
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 05:12 am
Same here.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:34 pm
So, are chavs necessarily the underclass, or merely people with bad taste?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:42 pm
Milfmaster9 wrote:
well here we have scumbags, tinkers and travellers!!

What about skangers ?
0 Replies

felixthecat

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 04:38 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
So, are chavs necessarily the underclass, or merely people with bad taste?
Merely those with bad taste. I've seen well of people who are chavs. A good example would be Wayne Roony and Coleen McLoughlin. Oh, and you forget to mention tracksuits tucked into socks. That's a popular with chavs! They also like to wear lots of "bling" (ie. a gold necklace from Elizabeth Duke - Argos... Not expensive) Or those horrid Playboy tops. (And THAT'S just the 8 year old girls!)
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:36 pm
and they tend to reproduce quickly and early in life...

Worst types with socks worn over bottoms of trousers..

Yes i have experienced certain underaged 'Knackers' (Chav) giving me the finger as i drive by but a few friends and i have found a solution. A short trip to the local Tesco and buy as many eggs as you can. Hunt down the culprite of course and using the car as a means of escape destroy their homemade or stolen burbury rags... The only flaw is that the eggs deserve better...
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:23 pm
I can only imagine these young kids wearing nothing but rags and old adidas shirts fighitng amongst eachother and having contests like who can say the most swear words, or who's shirt smells the worst.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:27 pm
there is a term... who is the 'ardest!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 04:48 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Classic Chav wear is anything with the Burberry tartan.

Usually purchased as a cheap copy from the local market stall,for a fraction of the price as an original Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:14 pm
This just occurred to me. Please pardon a dumb question from an ignorant Yank, but ... is that pronounced 'chav' as in chew or 'shav' as in shoe?
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:53 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
This just occurred to me. Please pardon a dumb question from an ignorant Yank, but ... is that pronounced 'chav' as in chew or 'shav' as in shoe?

Ch......as in church
av.......as in Avenue

Sorted Very Happy
0 Replies