Bush Proves How Far Removed He Is

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:15 am
eoe wrote:
Brandon, Tico, your president is a punk.

way to distill it down baby. props. :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:56 am
eoe wrote:

Wounded deeply, I am.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:08 am
Ticomaya wrote:
eoe wrote:

Wounded deeply, I am.

into exile go you must Yoda.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:34 am
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1711/stopblamingfema4tm.jpg

New Orleans Mayor Nagin and Govenor Blanco undoubtedly deserve a nice chunk of culpability however, that ding-dong Bush should be appointing as the head of any agency someone who is qualified for the job and deservedly gets a piece of the blame pie himself.

Bushie, you're doing a heck of a job.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 11:18 am
The massive state and local failure isn't really a surprise since they predicted correctly that the storm would overwhelm their capability to respond.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 04:39 pm
The failure of the Mayor or Governor is a local New Orleans issue, go complain on the Times-Picayune forum. Most of us here in the USA can only affect change on the national level. Besides, trying to blame the locals is a Rovian smokescreen.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 04:43 pm
AAAHHHH!!!!

Good God, would you stop sneaking up on people!!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 10:47 pm
eoe wrote:

A post consisting only of name calling means you have no argument.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 12:49 am
......Surprise surprise........

A visit to New Orleans on 9/11.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4234210.stm#map

" President George W Bush has arrived in the American Gulf coast on his third visit since Hurricane Katrina hit the region nearly two weeks ago.
Mr Bush has likened the rebuilding of New Orleans to that of New York after the 11 September attacks in 2001."

Cynical exploitation at its worst.

"Officials insist that high security for the president's visit will not detract from rescue efforts which are continuing."

Yeah, right.

"Opinion polls in Time and Newsweek magazines suggested most Americans were unhappy with the speed with which government reacted to the 29 August disaster.
The Newsweek poll gave the president his lowest approval rating - just 38%."

38%!! 38%!! THAT MUCH?..... Just HOW many "simple simon" Americans ARE there out there? Let me guess..........

I hope he took his guitar, so that he can boost the morale of the rescuers with a song or two............

Let's have a bet on the new photo shoot that will appear on Fox News.....

1. GWB, sitting astride a Michael Brown approved Arabian horse, surveys the wonderful progress being made.

2. GWB, dressed in the most macho rescue uniform available, giving a "heck of a job" speech to group of people who would rather be getting on with things.

3. GWB. shovel in hand, casting a ceremonial scoop of sand into an underfunded levee.

4. GWB, wearing "street" clothes, singing a rap number he has composed, which expresses his solidarity with the bred'ren. (guitar optional).

Any more bets out there?...............
0 Replies

catch22

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:20 am
It was the government's responsibility to ensure that a hurricane wouldn't result in this type of disaster. The government failed. It was the government's responsibility to ensure that an emergency response to such a disaster would save as many lives as possible. The government failed. Now, it is the government's responsibility to ensure that all the survivors are taken care of, financially and other wise. Apart from the frenetic rush to raise money, should not the government divert any and all resources from the Iraq war to the Katrina victims?

Last week Bush used emergency powers to suspend the 1931 Davis-Bacon Act in the affected states. This means that contractors who rebuild the flooded areas using federal assistance can pay their workers less than the prevailing wage, thereby ensuring continued poverty and undercutting unions. It was precisely the poor population of New Orleans who could not afford to own cars that were stuck behind to suffer and die during the flooding. By suspending this law Bush ensures continued poverty among those who return to rebuild.

Rev. Pat Robertson's Operation Blessing on FEMA's list.

Quote:
Operation Blessing, an evangelical Christian charity, founded by Rev. Pat Robertson. Robertson still serves on its national board. Operation Blessing is given a place of prominence at the FEMA website. It appears third on a list of charities overwhelmingly dominated by religious groups.

The governmental endorsement of Operation Blessing has been a media boon for the group, with wire services, newspapers, television and other media widely publicizing FEMA's promotion of it.

Operation Blessing describes its mission as seeking "to exemplify Christian compassion and benevolence while conforming to the highest standards of integrity."

Surely, before FEMA refers citizens to Operation Blessing, it should expect that a board "conforming to the highest standards of integrity" would have long ago expelled Pat Robertson.

Rev. Robertson has deeply shamed the country by his notorious suggestion that the United States ought to assassinate Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez. This unforgivable remark is just the latest in a long string of embarrassing and outlandish pronouncements, such as his 2003 suggestion that "maybe we need a very small nuke thrown" at State Department offices.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:06 am
BBB
Compassionate Bush:

http://harpers.org/CartoonKatrina.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:12 am
BBB
The American Eagle with the head of a chicken:

http://harpers.org/CartoonAmericanEagle.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:17 am
Negative Capability of George W. Bush
Negative Capability

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004. The following assertions were collected from public statements made by George W. Bush and his official spokesmen since 1997. Originally from Harper's Magazine, May 2004.
SourcesThe President of the United States is not a fact-checker.

I'm not a statistician.

I'm not a numbers-cruncher.

I'm not one of these bean counters.

I'm not very analytical.

I'm not a precision guy.

The President is not a micromanager.

I'm not a member of the legislative branch.

The President is not a rubber stamp for the Congress.

I'm not a censor-guy.

I'm not a lawyer.

I'm not a doctor.

The President is not an economist.

I'm not a stockbroker or a stock-picker.

I'm not a forecaster.

I'm not a predictor.

I'm not a pollster, a poll-reader guy.

I'm not a very good prognosticator of elections.

I'm not a committee chairman.

I'm not of the Washington scene.

I'm not a lonely person.

I'm not a poet.

I'm not a very good novelist.

I'm not a textbook player.

I'm not an emailer.

I'm not a very long-winded person.

I'm not a very formal guy.

I am not a revengeful person.

I'm not an Iraqi citizen.

I'm not a divider.

I am not a unilateralist.

I'm not a tree, I'm a Bush.

This is Negative Capability, a reading, originally from May 2004, published Thursday, July 15, 2004. It is part of Governance, which is part of Readings, which is part of Harpers.org.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 08:56 am
How's that song go?

Cause i'm a picker
I'm a grinner
I'm a lover
And i'm a sinner
I play my music in the sun

I'm a joker
I'm a smoker
I'm a midnight toker
I sure don't want to hurt no one
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 10:58 am
Along the lines of what Catch22 said on the previous page:

Quote:
The Disaster Profiteers

First came the phone calls -- 6,300 by last Wednesday to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers alone, from contractors offering "'cure-all' technologies and services" for the Gulf Coast reconstruction effort. Then came the cash: more than $500 million a day is being spent already, much of it on Iraq-style no-bid contracts, since normal federal contracting rules were "largely suspended" in the days following Katrina's landfall. The White House mindset, according to Time magazine: "Spend freely, and worry about the tab and the consequences later. 'Nothing can salve the wounds like money,'" one official said. It's the same mindset that has governed the reconstruction efforts in Iraq, which have lined the pockets of politically connected corporate interests while leaving Iraqis with an infrastructure less capable than it was under Saddam Hussein. "This is very painful," says Danielle Brian, director of the Project on Government Oversight, a nonprofit government spending watchdog group. "You are likely to see the equivalent of war profiteering -- disaster profiteering."

IN FEMA WE TRUST: FEMA proved itself largely incapable of carrying out its primary responsibility of emergency preparedness but was rewarded with a $50 billion windfall and vast new responsibilities. Congress last week passed a $51.8 billion Katrina aid package after just 40 minutes of debate, during which members were barred from proposing amendments. All but $2 billion was placed under the control of Mike Brown and his associates at FEMA. "As the title says, FEMA is an emergency management agency, not a reconstruction agency," Josh Marshall points out. "It doesn't have the organizational structure or competence to run the economy of a significant chunk of the United States for the foreseeable future, which is what this amounts to." But the funding would be questionable even if FEMA did have the organizational structure -- just last year, the agency was caught "giving out FEMA money as political pork with an eye to the 2004 elections."

THE KARL ROVE OF CONTRACTING: Joe Allbaugh made it to Louisiana before most FEMA officials. By August 31, Allbaugh -- the manager of the 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign and the Bush administration's first FEMA director -- was on the ground "helping coordinate the private-sector response to the storm." You'd expect that reaction time from "the Karl Rove of contracting," the nickname given to Allbaugh by Charlie Cray of Halliburtonwatch.org. Already at least two of Allbaugh's major corporate clients have "been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast." One is Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. The other is Shaw Group Inc., whose website now reads, enthusiastically, "Hurricane Recovery Projects -- Apply Here! Subcontractors/Suppliers & SBA Apply Here! Personnel Applicants Apply Here!"

BEYOND CONTRACTS -- LOW WAGES, BIG PAYOUTS: Big contracts aren't the only post-Katrina kickbacks being served up in Washington. For years congressional conservatives "doggedly tried -- and repeatedly failed -- to repeal a Depression-era law (the Davis-Bacon Act) that requires federal contractors to pay workers the prevailing wages in their communities." Following Hurricane Katrina, it took President Bush all of eleven days to banish the requirement, "at least temporarily, with the stroke of his pen." Congress also passed a major White House-backed change to federal contracting regulations. The new rules allow holders of government-issued credit cards "to spend up to $250,000 on Katrina-related contracts and purchases, without requiring them to seek competitive bids. ... Before Thursday, only purchases of up to $2,500 in normal circumstances or $15,000 in emergencies were exempt." Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA) calls the rule change an "unwise provision that could lead to contract abuse and extensive waste, fraud, and abuse," pointing out that even honest federal employees "are not trained to make purchases of this magnitude to ensure that taxpayers get the best value for their money." Even President Bush's cultural conservative base was rewarded. FEMA designated Pat Robertson's group Operation Blessing "as the No. 2 charity for donations in the wake of Hurricane Katrina," despite the fact that the group "gave more than half of its yearly allocation of cash donations -- $885,000 -- to the Christian Broadcasting Network," according to its most recent tax filings.

THE SILVER LINING: Not everyone is closing their eyes to possible contract abuse. The nonpartisan Government Accountability Office, which monitors public spending, already says it plans to audit Katrina-related contracts, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) yesterday announced her support for an independent anti-fraud commission to oversee Katrina-related government contracts. These are some important first steps to ensure oversight of "the largest domestic rebuilding effort ever undertaken," but they can't be the only measures. As Rep. Waxman points out, "The administration has an abysmal contracting record in Iraq. We can't afford to make the same mistakes again. We must make sure taxpayer funds are not wasted, because every dollar thrown away today is a dollar that is not available to hurricane victims and their families."

Source

FEMA lists Operation Blessing as the #2 charity on the government website, when it "gave more than half of its yearly allocation of cash donations -- $885,000 -- to the Christian Broadcasting Network," ?????
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 11:02 am
squinney wrote:

FEMA lists Operation Blessing as the #2 charity on the government website, when it "gave more than half of its yearly allocation of cash donations -- $885,000 -- to the Christian Broadcasting Network," ?????

Swell. Just swell.
0 Replies