What new thing have you learned recently?

eoe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 10:45 pm
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/272/baggypantsqf8.png

My husband told me this last week and then my brother confirmed it.
The whole style of young guys wearing their pants like this, showcasing their underware, originates from prison where the jailhouse queens would sport their pants hanging low to let it be known that they were 'available'. There's even a special term for it but I can't remember it now.

Can you imagine if the young guys who rock this look were made aware of that fact? They'd yank those pants up quick fast and in a hurry, I'd bet!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 07:57 am
Ye gads! This thread is a blast from the past!

Beth, how the heck did ya remember it?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:04 am
Always learning new things and itching to share...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:58 pm
I found this mooocho interesting. Maybe you will, too.

Ectomorph, Endomorph, and Mesomorph

[...]
There are three main body types: Ectomorph, Endomorph, and Mesomorph, each of which are characterised by a particular build and propensity to weight gain. Ectomorph's are characterised by being of slim build with a delicate bone structure and a high metabolic rate. In short, this is the body type idealised by the media and the model industry. Someone with this body type will have no difficulty in meeting the required standard without damage to his or her health.

The same is not true of either mesomorph's who are inclined to have more muscular bodies or endomorph's whose body metabolism is slowest of all types and the most likely to put on weight. Someone with a mesamorphic body type might be able to achieve a model-like body but it is unlikely that it could be done without resorting to virtual starvation and other extreme measures.

Despite the fact that the majority of women will never be this size or build, they are bombarded with dietary advice, equipment, drugs, surgery and reports that tell them that they only have to do x or y to achieve a body like a certain model.

Although women of all ages are susceptible to this media pressure, it is more often young teenage girls who fall prey to it. Many trying to achieve the ideal body will develop eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa and bulimia, which can be fatal or at least lead to further health problems in the future.

[...]

link
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:03 pm
What did I learn today?

That I do not completely understand this term, nor do I harbor the mindset to accommodate it

--- " pick your battles"--
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:08 pm
:wink: Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 08:18 pm
That level 2 with one instructor is the same as level 3 with another.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:09 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
What did I learn today?

That I do not completely understand this term, nor do I harbor the mindset to accommodate it

--- " pick your battles"--

Come on shewolf. I can't believe that you really don't understand this term?

And it's not a bad thing at all. As a matter of fact, IMO it's quite progressive and sometimes, on certain projects, it's my credo. If I'm having a rough time with a client and there are alot of details that we're battling over, I decide what is most important to me, what's worth fight for, and let the other things go. That's "picking your battles".
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:19 pm
I have learnt that Dreamweaver saves the templates onto the hard drive and not on the remote server. That has to be done manually. I wish I have learnt this about 5 hours earlier. Mad
Otherwise I'm enjoying learning web designing, from scratch (no pre-fab templates), very proud of myself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:25 pm
I learned, from a 9 year old, that I should have dark green shoes to make my dark green shirt. Are there dark green shoes to be had?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:28 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
I have learnt that Dreamweaver saves the templates onto the hard drive and not on the remote server. That has to be done manually. I wish I have learnt this about 5 hours earlier.

ouch!
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:11 am
I learned in scrabble that crwth is an english word which means a welsh six-stringed instrument played with a bow.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:16 am
(jotting that one down for my next Scrabble battle)
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 07:10 am
I learned that the term "democrat" originated as an epithet and referred to ~ one who panders to the crude and mindless whims of the masses.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 07:59 am
[looking back the last few posts]

Hey, who knew that there was still soooo much to learn in one day still, after all these years, eh? Laughing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 06:32 am
Today is Fathers Day in Singapore.
Reyn

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:33 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
What new thing have you learned recently?

How surprised I am when an old thread of mine from way back gets bumped up. Shocked
hingehead

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:48 pm
@hingehead,
Oh, it's fathers day in the US too!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:49 pm
@Reyn,
Took me ages to find it Reyn, but I knew it was in here somewhere....
aidan

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:54 pm
@hingehead,
I learned how to make a scale drawing of the exterior of a house. I had to learn how to do it so I could teach some painting and decorating students how to do it. The instructor gave me 8 out of 10 on my first try. I was very proud of myself and felt a huge sense of accomplishment.
0 Replies