What new thing have you learned recently?

littlek

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 05:53 pm
Slappy is ripped!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 05:54 pm
i learned about a half hour ago that Madison Ave. is one block from Park Ave.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:09 pm
littlek wrote:
Slappy is ripped!

Actually I'm sober.

C'mon..you knew that. Don't hide the fact you hired me to strip at your party.

I learned something CRAZY today. I bet none of you knew this....but Boston, is in MASSACHUSETTS!!!! I know. I thought it was in Canada too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:46 pm
I hired you, but you spent the money at a bar when you were supposed to be at my party. Eh.

I learned that making crepes is easy!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:57 pm
special thanks goes out to farmerman for the inspiration

German Bellsnickel

Hand-sculpted and crafted German Bellsnickel in traditional white robe trimmed with white fur. This special hand-sculpted and crafted Santa is dressed in a hand sewn/designed brilliant white robe trimmed with white rabbit fur. His specially sculpted hands show the rigors of the years he has spent bringing joy to the world. In his specially sculpted right hand he has his staff to assist him in going from home to home. His right hand holds a special basket of treats for all in your house. He stands approximately 18" tall with a hand-made armature and a stuffed muslin body stocking.

http://www.stnickstudios.com/html/images/sold_santas/90011t1.jpg....http://www.stnickstudios.com/html/images/sold_santas/90011t2.jpg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:24 pm
Watching a documentary on "Star Wars" tonight, I learned that there was actually a man inside of R2D2. All of these years, I thought it was a real robot.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:29 am
Hello Eoe and welcome to this thread. Yes, I've heard of this one before. Interesting, isn't it? I've seen the background on some of the special effects that were done on some of the shows. Truly amazing!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:53 pm
The word butter comes from bou-tyron, which seems to mean "cowcheese" in Greek. Some scholars think, however, that the word was borrowed from the language of the northern and butterophagous Scythians, who herded cattle; Greeks lived mostly from sheep and goats whose milk, which they consumed mainly as cheese, was relatively low in butter (or butyric) fat.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:01 pm
All the colors in the universe originate from a mere fifteen fundamental physical causes. These causes appear over and over, lending color to the world around us. Some common causes seem logical -- for example, both light bulbs and candles are colored by incandescence -- and others are surprising -- did you know that the colors of peacock feathers and bubbles are both caused by interference?

These fifteen causes of color derived from a variety of physical and chemical mechanisms are summarized in five groups in this exhibit.

Vibrations and simple excitations explain the colors of incandescence (e.g., flames), gas excitations (neon tube, aurora), and vibrations and rotations (blue ice and water).

Ligand-field-effect colors are seen in transition-metal compounds (turquoise, chrome-oxide green) and impurities (ruby, emerald).

Molecular orbitals explain the colors of organic compounds (indigo, chlorophyll) and charge-transfer compounds (blue sapphire, lapis lazuli).

Energy bands are involved in the colors of metals and alloys (gold, brass), of semiconductors (cadmium yellow, vermilion), doped semiconductors (blue and yellow diamond), and color centers (amethyst, topaz).

Geometrical and physical optics are involved in the colors derived from dispersive refraction (rainbow, green flash), scattering (blue sky, blue eyes, red sunset), interference (soap bubbles, iridescent beetles), and diffraction (the corona aureole, opal).
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:15 pm
eoe wrote:
Watching a documentary on "Star Wars" tonight, I learned that there was actually a man inside of R2D2. All of these years, I thought it was a real robot.

I KNOW HIM!

Well, I don't actually KNOW him, but he used to live not very far away, and I would occasionally see him walking in our local park, or in the high street.

He is reasonably well known over here, and used to be seen in quite a few TV programmes, back in the 70's.

I shall now try to find his name.....

Got it!.....Kenny Baker.

http://www.kennybaker.co.uk/
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:26 pm
I know the fella who was inside C3PO. His name was whistler. I used to date him. He was short but very handy for resting my pint of Guinness on his head as we stood talking.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:30 pm
....and what was he looking at, whilst this was going on?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:35 pm
He was a multi-tasker.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:41 pm
CHARABANC
An early form of bus, used typically for sightseeing trips.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:30 pm
Random Funny Facts

1. California has issued at least 6 drivers licenses to people named Jesus Christ.

2. Kangaroos can not walk backwards.

3. 'Jedi' is an official religion, with over 70,000 followers, in Australia.

4. According to a recent survey, more than half of British adults have had sex in a public place!

5. Most alcoholic beverages contain all 13 minerals necessary to sustain human life.

6. Nachos is the food most craved by pregnant women.

7. Each year, 24,000 Americans are bitten by rats!

8. Most dreams last only 5 to 20 minutes.

9. The hair of an adult man or woman can stretch 25 percent of its length without breaking.

10. On average, the life span of an American dollar bill is eighteen months.

11. Non-dairy creamer is flammable.

12. The first domain name ever registered was Symbolics.com.

13. Americans collectively eat one hundred pounds of chocolate every second.

14. U.S. President Calvin Coolidge liked to eat breakfast while having his head rubbed with Vaseline.

15. When a giraffe's baby is born it falls from a height of six feet, normally without being hurt.

16. Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

17. The creator of the NIKE Swoosh symbol was paid only $35 for the design.

18. How does a shark find fish? It can hear their hearts beating.

19. Penguins can convert salt water into fresh water.

20. In ten minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world's nuclear weapons combined!

21. The IRS employees tax manual has instructions for collecting taxes after a nuclear war.

22. During WWII, because a lot of players were called to duty, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles combined to become The Steagles.

23. Nearly 22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong account over the next hour.

24. More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.

25. There are more fatal car accidents in July than any other month.

26. There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

27. More than 2 million documents will be lost by the IRS this year.

28. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

29. Washington, D.C. has one lawyer for every 19 residents!

30. Avocados have more protein than any other fruit.

31. The average car produces a pound of pollution every 25 miles!

32. Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them; a fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball.

33. In 1980, a Las Vegas hospital suspended workers for betting on when patients would die!

34. The most powerful electric eel is found in the rivers of Brazil, Columbia, Venezuela, and Peru, and produces a shock of 400-650 volts.

35. If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

36. Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country.

37. In India, people are legally allowed to marry a dog!

38. You are more likely to get attacked by a cow than a shark.

39. Half of all identity thieves are either relatives, friends, or neighbors of their victims.

40. One in three male motorists picks their nose while driving.
0 Replies

SpauldingSmails

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:44 pm
Thanks, Reyn!

Let the knowledge flow...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
That's my goal in life - to be a conduit!

Welcome to A2K, by the way!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:50 pm
Reyn wrote:
...35. If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction...

Strange image: a long line of people walking by, performing reproductive
functions as they walk.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:51 pm
"24. More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call."

Nor can they read or write, but cartoons really piss them off.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 03:00 pm
What have I learned?

It doesn't save time to hurry.

Getting attention and getting respect are hardly ever the same thing.
0 Replies