He doesn't want to commit....

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:04 pm
A couple of months ago I started dating this guy. The moment we met there was an enormous amount of energy, sparks were flying everywhere. He called the next day. We saw each other the following week; it was pure synergy. Since then we have been seeing each other 1-2 times a week. .When we are together it's like nothing else matters. We can talk and laugh for hours. We can sing karaoke one weekend and go hiking the next. We are both very sexual and have an awesome time exploring one another's bodies. So what's the problem? I'm glad you asked. About 3 weeks ago we had a conversation that last about 12 hours and in that conversation I learned that he was still dating other women. One of which he has been seeing for 9 months. He said they have a purely sexual relationship and see each other once every 10 days or so. Now I suspect this S&M in nature, he neither confirmed or denied. As for the other girls he said that he was dating for the purpose of finding out more about himself. Naturally I laughed and said if you want to learn about yourself then spend time alone. Now let's be honest that's BS. After talking some more I learned that he was the dork in high school and college that girls walked over. He would fall in love only to have his heart stomped on by girls that thought he was too needy and a little scary. How sad. Eventually he married and 4 years later they divorced. Apparently, she turned into a status oriented money hungry woman who wanted more. So she suggested that they get divorced so she could go to graduate school and get her MBA. Okay so as I learn more about him I get that he's a little damaged. Not for nothing but aren't we all. So I tell him about the last guy I fell for who was a total two timing player and lied his ass off to me. Telling me that he wanted to marry me and that I was the one while he was sneaking around with his ex girlfriend. See we all have wounds. Naturally it's taken me a while to trust guys too. While it's a struggle, it's a fight I'm willing to fight to feel love again. Anyway, long story short the current guy said that while he's not opposed to commitment ever again, he's just not ready. He also confessed that one of his fears is not a girl getting attached to him, but him getting attached to a girl. He claims that when he does so, she loses interest. He believes it's because the mystery is gone. He also said that while he isn't afraid of my getting attached to him, he is afraid of getting attached to me. At first I wanted to walk away and I started crying and then he started crying when I told him we had to end things. After talking some more I told him we could continue to date on an exploratory basis, to learn more about each other and for us to both learn to trust again. The deal was that if he started to feel a connection wit someone that was stronger than our connection, then he should tell me. A week later we spent the day hiking which turned into dinner and then a bath and then morning. a few days later we both went our separate ways for Labor Day Weekend (plans we had). So he comes back from Burning Man and I from Sonoma….the first words out of his mouth are I missed you so much and thought about you the whole time, when can I see you? So we saw each other last night. Now today he left for 4 weeks on a backpacking trip to Europe with his buddy (another pre me thing). Last night I brought up the fact that I feel like we have gotten so close lately and I feel like I can trust and let myself go again. I told him thank you for that. He said he feels like we have gotten really close lately too. Then I asked whether or not he still wants to date other girls when he gets back from Europe. He said he didn't know what he would want or where he would be but as it stands he feels the need to continue dating other girls. He said that he's not sore from his divorce but that he still has a hard time trusting and doesn't know what he wants or can do yet. He also mentioned that while the night of the 12 hour conversation scared him because it remind him of his ex, that there were still so many things about me that he is drawn to and didn't want to walk away from. Btw, he's been divorced for 7 years and is 34, I'm 32. 2-3 of those years he spent in rehabilitation for a neck injury. Anyway, now I don't know. I'm starting to think that if he thought I was what he wanted then he would commit by now and the fact that he hasn't is indicative that I'm not the right girl. He says no. Any advice? Should I continue to date him when he gets back from Europe or just move on now that he's away? He says he has every intention of seeing me when he gets back and knows how much he is going to miss me and that he will keep in touch while he is gone. Yet, still I keep coming back to those stories of guys that date a girl for a year and never commit and then meet another girl and 3 months later are boyfriend and girlfriend. The response is always, I just knew. Do guys know or do they need to take a logical approach? I knew with him but chose to weigh each and every step carefully because of how little I trusted men. Then as time went on and he kept following through, I began to see how endearing his actions were which led to my trusting him and in a flash I was ready, it was like a light went on. Perhaps I'm being a sucker and should just move on….Now I know this isn't about attraction, there is major chemistry and I'm way cute. Some people tell me I look like Natalie Imbruglia, others say Audrey Hepburn...if anything he is dating out of his league. And I make great money, am athletic, well read and cook. To put the icing on the cake I have a body like a playboy model...so what is this boy's deal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 872 • Replies: 4
No top replies

flushd

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
Hi Sunflower.

You have only been dating him for a couple months? Geez; you are still getting to know him. Why the rush?

By your post, it sounds like you are beginning to fall in love with this guy.
You are having heart pains because he is not in the same spot as you. You want more than he does.

Yeaa: you are lucky enough to be 'suffering' from love sickness. Smile

At the end of your post, you went on and on about how great you are. Well, I bet you are. But that has nothing to do with the situation. Love doesn't discriminate.
Just maybe it isn't about you? Maybe you need more time to see where he is coming from; and if things are compatible in the long term between the two of you?

I realize I may be coming across as a real b*tch here, but you really are suffering from something that is beautiful. Instead of looking at it as a problem: try relaxing. Give yourself the opportunity to know him for who he is: even if what you see means the 'fairy tale' will end. It will save you a lot of suffering!

take care
0 Replies

SunflowerGirlnSF

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:02 pm
First off you are in no way coming of as a b*tch. I admire your passion and candor with regards to my problem. If anything you have calmed me down so I can see things more clearly. Yes, it only has been a couple of months. I think part of my problem is the fear of ending up in some open relationship. It happened once before and I never want to be involved in those kind of dynamics again. So where to draw the line? I'm thinking of just waiting for him to get back from Europe and continue dating him for another month or 2 tops before walking away; that is if he wants to see me again after he gets back, he may think twice after my revisiting the topic again and on the night before his big trip. I already apologized to him for my being so selfish. I just get out of my head what my guy friends say about guys and commitment, how when a guys says he doesn't want a commitment he's saying he doesn't want one with you. I guess that can't be true for all guys. And yes, I am so in love it's scary; it's been quite a while. Also, I just moved to a new city and this wasn't supposed to happen. I had the next 6 months planned out and it didn't include a boyfriend and now that's all changed in the blink of an eye.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:55 pm
I agree with flushd. I think you're rushing things.

Because of a bad experience, you seem to be in a hurry to commit. Plus, you just moved to a new city, which means you don't have your feet under you yet, emotionally speaking. So you're needier than usual. Perhaps this is why you've latched onto this guy so hard.

This is not good. I think you should go ahead and give yourself that 6 months you planned, and if things work out with this guy, then great. If not, you're right where you planned to be anyway.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:14 pm
Ok Sunflower, I can understand where you are coming from. I went through something similiar myself.

I agree with EVa. While he is away in Europe; it should give you a nice chance for a 'breather' . Some space to work a few things out for yourself; and focus on you . In the middle of something like this, things get so intense, and it can be sooo hard to see it from outside.

It sounds like you have everything going for you: so, like Eva said, even if things don't turn out the way you'd like, you'll just end up right where you originally planned to be! And that sure doesn't sound like a bad place to be all.

take care for now
0 Replies