Fascinating site re history of ship naming and launching

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 01:34 pm
Fascinating site re ship naming and launching:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_naming_and_launching

I was interested in the custom of "Christening" ships and what the religious link was.

---BBB

Medieval

While the liturgical aspects of ship christenings continued in Catholic countries, the Reformation seems, for a time, to have put a stop to them in Protestant Europe. By the 17th century, for example, English launchings were secular affairs. The christening party for the launch of the 64-gun ship-of-the-line Prince Royal in 1610 included the Prince of Wales and famed naval constructor Phineas Pett, who was master shipwright at the Woolwich yard. Pett described the proceedings:

"The noble Prince ... accompanied with the Lord Admiral and the great lords, were on the poop, where the standing great gilt cup was ready filled with wine to name the ship SO soon as she had been afloat, according to ancient custom and ceremony performed at such times, and heaving the standing cup overboard. His Highness then standing upon the poop with a selected company only, besides the trumpeters, with a great deal of expression of princely joy, and with the ceremony of drinking in the standing cup, threw all the wine forwards towards the half-deck, and solemnly calling her by name of the Prince Royal, the trumpets sounding the while, with many gracious words to me, gave the standing cup into my hands."

The "standing cup" was a large cup fashioned of precious metal. When the ship began to slide down the ways, the presiding official took a ceremonial sip of wine from the cup, and poured the rest on the deck or over the bow. Usually the cup was thrown overboard and belonged to the lucky retriever. As navies grew larger and launchings more frequent, economy dictated that the costly cup be caught in a net for reuse at other launchings. Late in 17th century Britain, the "standing cup" ceremony was replaced by the practice of breaking a bottle across the bow.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 564 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:15 pm
I see... and would you happen to know why people are so thrilled about seeing a bottle of champagne go to waste?

Interesting info though.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:37 pm
Sturgis
Sturgis wrote:
I see... and would you happen to know why people are so thrilled about seeing a bottle of champagne go to waste?

Interesting info though.

Obviously, they have no taste.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies