Handicapped Parking: Settle This Argument

Chai

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:59 am
In texas, we have the option of having a sticker attached to the car, or one of those placards you hang from your rear view mirror.

The person with the handicap is allowed to get at least 2 of them......

I keep the extra one in my glove compartment for use when I am driving for the handicapped person.

Can your aunt get another one for you to keep?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:59 am
Go Skwerl, go!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:00 am
Wow! You must be so proud of her. Telling that guy to go to hell would have been enough, but her history is really amazing. Do you hope sometimes that her talents have rubbed off on you?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:01 am
Skwerl X wrote:
What amazed me is how my aunt turned her walker into a ninja-like weapon of death. That sucker never knew what hit him.

I'm in her will. Cool

Fiesty old women are SO cool.

They are my heros.
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:05 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Wow! You must be so proud of her. Telling that guy to go to hell would have been enough, but her history is really amazing. Do you hope sometimes that her talents have rubbed off on you?

I should be so lucky. Lee's funny. She's a life long democrat and the home she's living in now is populated with southern baptist republicans. Every night I get a lecture about how she "can't understand how these damn fools made it to old age with their heads so full of crap." Laughing

Lee's a pisser.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:05 am
Can't you get her to join A2K, too?

Or at least transcribe some of your sessions.

She sounds great.

(And yeah, as everyone said, the point is to make it easier to walk from point A [parking space] to point B [door] for the person who has probems walking. Period.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:07 am
I so want to be like her when I'm old. My grandmother was a lot like that. Actually, they were both pissers. I'm so proud of them and if I could be half the women they were when I'm old I will die happy.
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
Lee is fascinated by the computer age, and I've tried in vain to get her hooked up. I think she fears the unknown but I'm sure she'd take to it like a duck to water. But she remains stubborn to her newspaper lineage.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
Skwerl, has anyone taken down any of her tales?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:13 am
Skwerl X wrote:
Crazielady420 wrote:
Skwerl X wrote:
She should have stopped pummeling him once he quit moving.

Your Aunt is now my hero Laughing

Lee is the coolest person I know. She's 92 and has basically lived alone her entire life and is fanatically independent. She was a reporter in Washington during the FDR and Truman administratins and was one of first women to be a part of the WH press corp before it was ever known as such. She was a frequent guest at Eleanor Roosevelt and Bess Truman's residences and was a frequent contributor to the old Colliers magazine.

I spend an hour or so every night with her and am constantly amazed at the depth of her experience and her memories of the depression and WWII up to current times. It's sad to see her slowly fade away but she's doing it with great style and dignity.

Wow that is awesome... my last next door neighbohor (god rest his soul) lived to be 94 and I used to listen to stories all the time... His wife passed away from altemizers and he was very lonely and close to our family, he had no immediate family of his own, no kids or nothing, but some of the stories are unimaginable... It is so crazy how things change and some things will never change!
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:14 am
littlek wrote:
Skwerl, has anyone taken down any of her tales?

Not formerly, no. But I've got quite a few of them committed to memory and should get them on paper. I've go to run, but I'll tell you a good one about FDR's last day when I get back.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:31 am
Skwerl X wrote:
farmerman wrote:
Id ask granny to be allowed to keep the handicapped sign for your use. It comes in handy when shopping.
Thats what Id do.

In times like these Id ask 'What would Paulie Walnuts do in a similar situation"

When I use the car myself, I wear my Bush/Cheney 2004 hat. That justifies parking in the handicapped spot. Very Happy

Seriously, I don't know what pissed me off more; this guy being so petty or the fact that he wasn't minding his own damn business.

At any rate, I wasn't sure what car this clown was driving, so to play it safe, I keyed all of the cars in the parking lot. My aunt helped with the obscene slogans.

ebrown_p wrote:
Skwerl X wrote:
So...I was justified in beating this guy into an unrecognizable pulp?

Sure. And the best part is, now he probably qualifies for a handicapped placard.

Everybody wins.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and this made me laugh out loud. The thought of Lee berating the guy is fabulous - good for her!
You guys are too funny!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:39 am
BBB
Disabled Placards

A Disabled Placard (placard) is a removable windshield placard that is to be hung from the rearview mirror of a PARKED vehicle in order to park in disabled parking spaces. The placard must be used ONLY when a physically disabled person is the occupant of the motor vehicle at the time of parking or when the physically disabled person is being dropped off or picked-up.

There are two types of Disabled Placards:
Permanent Disabled Placard
Temporary Disabled Placard
-------------------------------------------------

In California, I had handicapped license plates on my car. In New Mexico, all I have is a handicapped placard which I keep in my car at all time. Sometimes I take my placard with me if I'm in a friend's car. If it's possible for me to be dropped off in front of our destination, then my friend doesn't have to use my placard. If not, we use handicapped parking designated spaces.

Another thing that is important. If I have my electric scooter in the trunk of my car so that I have mobility at my destination, I need the safe space to electrically lift my scooter from the trunk to the ground and reload it when I'm ready to depart.

There have been so many times when I've driven around and around a parking lot, unable to find a vacant handicapped parking spot that I've given up and returned home. Spot after spot was occupied by cars without a handicapped placard. Some were occupied by people who obviously are not handicapped. I used to carry a little notice that I would put under the windshield wipers of these clods reminding them they are breaking the law and preventing disabled people from having a little independence.

BBB
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:24 pm
You are in the right. If you have a handicapped person in the car and you have a legit handicap parking card, then of course you are in the right. What you did was both legal and ethical. Your aunt was right and she sounds like a hot ticket! She sounds just like my grandmom. She once keyed some one's car that dented hers when they rammed their car door into hers.

Also, some handicapped situations may not be as obvious as others. You could have been the handicapped person for all he knew - just because you are not in a wheelchair or have a cane, doesn't mean that you might have some other physical condition not so obvious.

That's odd, material girl. Where I live the young children parking is typically near the carriage corrals, not near the door. Makes sense in that what parents really only need is to plop their youngsters in the carriage and cart them in. Also, where I live these are not necessarily legal spaces, but offered as a convenience to families with small children. I have even seen some places that offer elderly parking - sounds like that may be a suggestion to the store.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:26 pm
<so great to see Skwerl here>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:39 pm
That one tickled me too, Heeven.
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 01:32 pm
ehBeth wrote:
<so great to see Skwerl here>

Cool
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:08 pm
I have no problem with how you handled it Skwerl X. You had to get her there and the longer walk from non-handicapped areas would have been too much for your aunt, and not only is the card for her and her car it was her car. It is not as if you took another car and tried to use her card for your own purposes or even used her car for personal matters (or anything which did not involve her directly, such as even food shopping for her without her being with you).

Additionally how would the person who was having his tantrum know that it wasn't you who had a health concern? If you have heart disease it would not necessarily be immediately known and it could keep you from walking big distances and entitle you to a handicapped parking card. There are many invisible illnesses (things which are not seen just on appearance) which could entitle a person to the card. I like the way your aunt handled the guy when he threatened to call the cops, it also makes clear that he knew he didn't have any real legal ground to stand on.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
That reminds me of the story of the man outside a post office in northern Virginia who berated a guy demanding to know why he parked in a handicapped space since he could obviously walk. The man sat down on a bench, pulled up his pants leg and removed his prosthetic. The accuser shut up in a hurry.
0 Replies