Handicapped Parking: Settle This Argument

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:49 am
My 92 year old aunt has a handicapped parking card for her car. It's a legitimate card registered with the state. In the last few months her health has declined to the point where she can no longer drive herself. It's fallen to me to be her "chauffer" taking her to her appointments and such in her car.

The other day, we visited her doctor's office for an appointment. She's no longer driving, but since she's very frail and uses a walker, I parked the car in a handicapped spot by the front door. Well, some nosey so-and-so comes flying out of the doctor's office telling me I can't park in that spot because I'm obviously not disabled. I patiently explained that my aunt -who's standing right there next to me- was indeed disabled, this was her car, and I'm not going to make her walk half a block just because I'm driving her car.

This guy continues to berate me, telling me how insensitive I am blah blah blah. Then when he sees I'm pretty much ignoring him, he says he's gonna call the cops and have me towed. At that point, my aunt looks at this clown and says, "You call the cops and then you go to Hell." That seemed to shut him up. Laughing

So....who is right? Am I justified in using a handicapped space to accomodate my passenger (who owns the car) even though I'm not disabled or do I have to park elsewhere?

Just curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,063 • Replies: 38
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:57 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:57 am
Id completely agree with you.Well done to you and well done to your aunt for being so ballsy.

Years ago I took my nan(grandmother) to the supermarket.
She walked with a stick by then so I thought I should park as close to the shop as possible.Then I thought I could go in the parents and child spaces meant for parents and young children, (of which I am neither)which are right near the entrance.
I umm-ed and arr-ed about it on the way there, finally I did park in one of the spaces.

The way I justified it and would have said so (like your aunt)to anyone who queried me is that I am a child(at 20 something)and my Nan is a parent(to my dad).

The whole point of the handicappd parking space is so it is convenient for the handicapped person to get where they are goingYou did right.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:59 am
I agree as well. Should you take her car by yourself anywhere, it would be wrong and illegal to park in a handicapped spot. However, because your aunt is with you I think you are justified.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:00 am
I think you were very right with what you did... he was just having some sort of bad day and decided to take it out on you... I could understand if it was just you in the car and you still parked there, then he could get mad...but if she is in the car then she would have parked there anyways, so what is the difference
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:00 am
Id ask granny to be allowed to keep the handicapped sign for your use. It comes in handy when shopping.
Thats what Id do.

In times like these Id ask 'What would Paulie Walnuts do in a similar situation"
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:06 am
farmerman wrote:
Id ask granny to be allowed to keep the handicapped sign for your use. It comes in handy when shopping.
Thats what Id do.

In times like these Id ask 'What would Paulie Walnuts do in a similar situation"

When I use the car myself, I wear my Bush/Cheney 2004 hat. That justifies parking in the handicapped spot. Very Happy

Seriously, I don't know what pissed me off more; this guy being so petty or the fact that he wasn't minding his own damn business.

At any rate, I wasn't sure what car this clown was driving, so to play it safe, I keyed all of the cars in the parking lot. My aunt helped with the obscene slogans.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:17 am
Check the law in your state.

In PA a handicapped plate or placard is valid whether the handicapped person is a driver or a passenger.

Obviously there are a number of handicapped people who shouldn't be driving--and they aren't very good at walking, either.

Your critic was probably misinformed.
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:19 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Check the law in your state.

In PA a handicapped plate or placard is valid whether the handicapped person is a driver or a passenger.

Obviously there are a number of handicapped people who shouldn't be driving--and they aren't very good at walking, either.

Your critic was probably misinformed.

Yeah, he was probably having a God-like moment.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:22 am
you are absolutly right.
Handicapped parking is for the HANDICAPED.
DISABLED, and other wise unable to GET TO THE DOOR.
it isnt just for drivers.
it is for passengers.
and that is a country wide law..
The handicapped sticker allows that 'car' to park in spaces designated to assist those who are disabled in getting to the building using an easier, safer, quicker route.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:38 am
Same in NM. The card is the deal, not the driver. Totally disabled without the card would get fined, by the way.
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
So...I was justified in beating this guy into an unrecognizable pulp?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:44 am
Skwerl X wrote:

did you or did you just want to?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:44 am
Skwerl X wrote:

Sure. And the best part is, now he probably qualifies for a handicapped placard.

Everybody wins.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:45 am
Skwerl X wrote:

if he tried to stop you in taking your grandmother a safe and quick route to her destination that the LAW has provided her and that YOU are able to offer her by parking there..

yuppers
pound away man.
Laughing
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:47 am
What amazed me is how my aunt turned her walker into a ninja-like weapon of death. That sucker never knew what hit him.

I'm in her will. Cool
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:49 am
You were right, skwerl. The purpose candihapped parking is so that people with disabilities don't have to walk long distances and so that vehicles that have been customized to accommodate the handicapped have some place to park (wheelchair vans). Your use was absolutely what was intended.

Give your aunt a big fat smooch and tell her she should be proud of herself. I really can't stand the self-appointed judges of society.
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:51 am
She should have stopped pummeling him once he quit moving.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:52 am
Skwerl X wrote:

Your Aunt is now my hero Laughing
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:59 am
Crazielady420 wrote:
Skwerl X wrote:

Your Aunt is now my hero Laughing

Lee is the coolest person I know. She's 92 and has basically lived alone her entire life and is fanatically independent. She was a reporter in Washington during the FDR and Truman administratins and was one of first women to be a part of the WH press corp before it was ever known as such. She was a frequent guest at Eleanor Roosevelt and Bess Truman's residences and was a frequent contributor to the old Colliers magazine.

I spend an hour or so every night with her and am constantly amazed at the depth of her experience and her memories of the depression and WWII up to current times. It's sad to see her slowly fade away but she's doing it with great style and dignity.
0 Replies