Can one "lionize" a non-human?

Lash

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:09 pm
I have been told the usual spelling in the UK is "lionise".

Anyhoo--I am aware you can lionize a person. Could you, as an example, lionize boyhood?....freedom....? an emotion?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,098 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:20 pm
Dunno. Wouldn't idolize be a better choice?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:30 pm
Hehe.

NO!!

But, thanks tweetie!

I have to laud something--to make it bigger than life. I need a word. But, laud isn't big enough.

I would like to lionize it, if you can do that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:31 pm
I would idyllize it, though.

But, not a word.

Pah!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:47 pm
Well, it's your word Lash. You can do whatever you want with it Smile
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:30 pm
can you humanize a non Lion?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:34 pm
Sure. It's called anthromorphism
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:37 pm
well there you go then.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 07:43 pm
I think your Lion--usually a literary Lion--must be bipedal, capable of sophisticated scorn and available for worship.

To my mind, abstractions can't be lionized.

Revered...worshiped... idolized...doted upon....but abstractions can't roar.

Unless the abstraction is "woman".
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 09:28 pm
Thanks everybody.

Sorry I'm late getting back. Bear, I like the way you're thinking. I wonder if my prof will let me give human qualities in that way to a time....?

I like writing that way--but what I like isn't the most important thing. (How I hate it when that happens!) It may be "by the book"
--in which case, I trust Noddy is correct.

But, tanks!! Smile
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 04:11 am
I think you're barking (?roaring?) up the wrong tree, Lash, because to "lionise" someone doesn't actually mean to admire, praise, or adore them; it means to treat them as a celebrity. You can't treat emotions or abstractions of any kind as celebrities, and I don't think that's what you want to do anyway.

The word derives originally from the lions which centuries ago were kept in a menagerie at the Tower of London. These lions were one of the most celebrated tourist sights of London; if a visitor didn't "see the lions" during his stay, he hadn't properly "done" London. So "the lions" became a slang term for the famous sights and the famous people of a place, the ones you want to be able to say you have seen and met when you go back home. Thus to "lionise" someone means to make them into a "lion", i.e. a celebrity, by making them guest of honour at parties, gossiping about them, flattering them, and so on. There used to be a slang word "lion-hunter" for the kind of host or hostess who always tries to get at least one celebrity to their parties.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 11:43 am
Syntinen--

Good points. I came back to this thread to Lionize the Tower of London cats and found that you'd made my comments unnecessary.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies