Boss, my $100K salary just isn't cutting it

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
Sturgis - I wouldn't have an issue with moving some where beautiful like Vermont, unfortunately the industry I have over 15 years experience in is mostly centered in Boston. I could move to Vermont, but would have to completely change careers. I am too old for that.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:24 pm
I'm from Burlington, Sturgis and the housing there was very expensive. I moved to the Chicago area a number of years ago and the cost of living here was lower than what I left in Vermont.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 04:45 pm
Slappy

Do you have much risk of not paying the bills without your renters?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:26 pm
Just remember: Trees don't grow to the sky...
"The PMI Mortgage Insurance Company in it's Summer 2005 risk report names cities the company believes are at most risk for a bubble burst. Many are coastal cities and Boston heads the list with what the organization predicts is a 55.3 percent chance for price declines. Long Island and four cities in California are the next highest risk areas on the company's list."

I have seen a number of articles naming Boston as the area mostly likely to burst. Prices are too high for the majority of buyers, even when both couples work.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 09:17 pm
husker wrote:
Slappy

Do you have much risk of not paying the bills without your renters?

Not really. I could swing it, but I wouldn't be able to live the same lifestyle if I paid the mortgage on my own. You know, carelessly spending money on beer, cd's, and whatever else I want.

The area I bought in has a huge number of renters, so I don't see it a problem finding roomates. Less than 5 miles from downtown(a cheaper alternative), and close to different schools.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:38 am
J_B wrote:
I'm from Burlington, Sturgis and the housing there was very expensive. I moved to the Chicago area a number of years ago and the cost of living here was lower than what I left in Vermont.

The problem is Burlington is one of the few exceptions in Vermont. For some reason (maybe it's the university and the college kids money) it is an overpriced error within and otherwise pleasant state. The other problem places for costs are of course the ski resorts and the little places immediately surrounding them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:59 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

The area I bought in has a huge number of renters, so I don't see it a problem finding roomates. Less than 5 miles from downtown(a cheaper alternative), and close to different schools.

So you're the guy who moved in next door! Please quit mooning the hibiscus plant, thanks.

-- Actually, in all seriousness, RP and I could never afford our current place if we bought it today (been there for 10 years). Was helping a friend look for a place recently, so I said, hey, try Brighton, it's cheap! No, it's not, it turns out. My neighborhood is averaging about $600 - $650k for one-family homes. Skeery.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 01:36 pm
Um yea....Brighton is far from cheap. Unless you want a crap studio. Because it's a huge rent area. BC/BU right there.

You'd probably think my area would be cheap too...not so much anymore.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:42 pm
What are the state taxes like there?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:56 pm
Mass has a flat tax of 5% (or maybe they bumped it up a bit) on luxury items and no tax on food and clothing (within reason).

Taxes by state HERE
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:49 am
Heeven wrote:
I meant Slappy. I guess I had a picture of what he did for a living and it didn't come anywhere near 100K, unless he was a man-stripper on weekends!

I just remembered this....so what picture did you have of me doing for a living, hmmm?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:47 pm
I can't speak for Heeven, but I've always pictured you something like this:

http://images.creatas.com/common/detail/53/17/22361753.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:48 pm
Was I close?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:56 pm
Close...that was me in a former life.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 05:35 pm
i pictured you as some type of computer geek guy...don't know why...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:39 pm
dragon49 wrote:
i pictured you as some type of computer geek guy...don't know why...

NOT close.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:08 am
dang it...you sound rather offended by that. Sad

my other thought was marketing exec...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 11:47 am
Ok, you weren't that far off. And no, not offended.

I'm outside sales/district manager for a software company. I sell to car dealerships across three states. I did have all of New England(6 states) for a while, until they realized I had the largest territory in my company and it was a little too much for one person.

Even though I sell software, I'm not a computer geek. I'm clueless when it comes to the technical side of things.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:40 pm
which one? i used to work for an online car site...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:50 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Ok, you weren't that far off. And no, not offended.

I'm outside sales/district manager for a software company. I sell to car dealerships across three states. I did have all of New England(6 states) for a while, until they realized I had the largest territory in my company and it was a little too much for one person.

Even though I sell software, I'm not a computer geek. I'm clueless when it comes to the technical side of things.

Sorry, we know techno-geeks when we see them. You qualify.
0 Replies