Kidnappers and graft

Vermont

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:03 am
Hi,

1.What does 'that ought to commend itself' mean?

I had a scheme for collecting that ransom without danger of being caught by counterplots that ought to commend itself to professional kidnappers.

2. "What suits me," Keogh used to say, "in the way of a business proposition is something diversified that looks like a longer shot than it is--something in the way of a genteel graft that isn't worked enough for the correspondence schools to be teaching it by mail.

In Arthur's time Sir William Keogh would have been a Knight of the Round Table. In these modern days he rides abroad, seeking the Graft instead of the Grail.

What does 'graft' mean? Business, business chance, bribe, corruption, monkey business--

Thanx!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 466 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:08 am
In reverse order:

(2) Graft means using one's position unfairly or illegally to obetain money or other goods. Bribery would be one example of graft.

(1) 'ought to commend itself' means it's the sort of thing one would find to be of one's advantage. If something 'commends itself', it stands out as being a desirable thing.
0 Replies

Vermont

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:07 am
In other words:

I had scheme for collecting ransom-- it's desirable thing for professional kidnappers to have scheme or they would be caught by counterplots. Correct?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:46 am
Right. In other words, I had a scheme that other kidnappers would be wise to imitate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:53 am
The use of third parties as bagmen for grafting ought to commend itself to those who would be successfully venal.
0 Replies