Pelosi: Bush, "Oblivious, dangerous"

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:23 am
Pelosi told Bush he should fire Brown because of all that went wrong, Bush replied, according to Pelosi, "What went wrong?"

Pelosi just told the media that Bushis oblivious, detached and dangerous!

You go girl, we Baltimore-born, California women can kick some ass!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,448 • Replies: 67
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:32 am
Re: Pelosi: Bush, "Oblivious, dangerous"
Chrissee wrote:
Bush replied, according to Pelosi, "What went wrong?"

t Bushis oblivious, detached and dangerous!

...and what else is new?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:10 pm
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/07/D8CFHLI01.html

"At a news conference, Pelosi, D-Calif., said Bush's choice for head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency had "absolutely no credentials."

She related that she urged Bush at the White House on Tuesday to fire Brown.

"He said 'Why would I do that?'" Pelosi said.

"'I said because of all that went wrong, of all that didn't go right last week.' And he said 'What didn't go right?'"

"Oblivious, in denial, dangerous," she added. "

Well, I guess she could not articulate what specificlly went wrong. I also wonder why she did not criticize the local Democratic Mayor as well as the Governor for their inaction?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:56 pm
I too am curious about exactly what went wrong that action taken by Bush could have prevented.

Admittedly, many people stayed in NO rather than evacuate because they simply had no means to evacuate. But that is a local issue unless and until local officials ask the Fed Gov for help, something they never did.

Also, many who had the means to leave did not for whatever reason. Again, local officials could have forced people to leave, just as they are trying to do now, but chose not to. Again, not a Federal problem.

Was the response by the Fed Gov quick enough? I don't know. It probably could have been a bit quicker, although getting anyone into NO became a difficult task after the hurricane hit due to the flooded roads and such.

I live in an area that has seen a hurricane or two. It has always been recommended that we keep enough supplies on hand to get us through the first 72 hours after a major hurricane since it could take some time to get relief supplies and Fed/State assistance into us. So is it the government's fault they could not get things mobilized in the first few hours after the storm? Guess it depends on whether you hate Bush or not.

Personally, the biggest fault for the loss of life in NO is the local government and their seemingly inadequate plans for evacuating their own citizens when faced with a hurricane of this magnitude.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:10 pm
I really think that when you campagin for president you should understand that you're the face of America and will take the heat when things go wrong because "the buck stops here". Otherwise you should like, run oil companies and baseball teams into the ground and do shady stock deals and snort coke.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:14 pm
so here's my question, and excuse my ignorance on the subject...on aug. 26th govenors of both lousiana and mississippi declare state of emergencies. on aug. 27th bush declares state of emergency in lousiana. (according to cnn.com who has a nice timeline of what happened). aug. 28th bush declares state of emergency in mississippi.

what exactly does the state of emergency give local officials the right to do? i have no idea so i was hoping someone out there did.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:23 pm
Quote:
I too am curious about exactly what went wrong that action taken by Bush could have prevented.

He didn't provide leadership. He failed to see the threat that the hurricane posted even though he was warned that it could be that bad. He didn't mobilize his own cabinet to respond whatsoever (Cheney was STILL on vacation till yesterday and Condi was busy buying shoes while Bush played the guitar). People need to see a president who is actually doing something about problems.

His appointees to FEMA were of the worst political nature; no previous experience, no reason to appoint them to these highly-paid positions other than the fact that they worked on his campaign. He is responsible for their poor performance.

He has lead the charge to shift our nation's priorities away from critical projects to Security and aggressive wars overseas. There is little doubt that the money spent in Iraq on a daily basis could help save the lives of Katrina victims, if we had it, that is. I have no idea where the money to rebuild is going to come from; we're already massively in debt.

Communications and organization have been horrible. Didn't we spend a huge amount of money after 9/11 to ensure that just this sort of situation could be taken care of with organization? Apparently much of that money was wasted, and noone has to answer for it.

There were, have been, and continue to be a large number of failures, strategic mis-steps, and fiscal idiocies that helped lead to the Katrina disaster. And you don't even want me to start talking about how much Bush supports Global Warming...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:24 pm
Are you having trouble understanding the system in place for emergencies of this nature? The Fed Gov does not step in until asked to help by the state gov. Or are you suggesting that the Fed Gov should make decisions on a local level about when to order evacuations and how to have them done? Or maybe you think the Fed Gov should risk lives of emergency workers by having them take supplies down into an area and guard them before a hurricane hits just in case the locals are inept?

I'm still curious as to what you think the Fed Gov could have done. All you keep saying is that Bush is to blame because the response time was too slow. Elaborate with all kinds of details exactly how they could have done a better job. Otherwise, any fool can say "They could have done better" about just about anything.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:28 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

He didn't provide leadership. He failed to see the threat that the hurricane posted even though he was warned that it could be that bad. He didn't mobilize his own cabinet to respond whatsoever (Cheney was STILL on vacation till yesterday and Condi was busy buying shoes while Bush played the guitar). People need to see a president who is actually doing something about problems.

His appointees to FEMA were of the worst political nature; no previous experience, no reason to appoint them to these highly-paid positions other than the fact that they worked on his campaign. He is responsible for their poor performance.

He has lead the charge to shift our nation's priorities away from critical projects to Security and aggressive wars overseas. There is little doubt that the money spent in Iraq on a daily basis could help save the lives of Katrina victims, if we had it, that is. I have no idea where the money to rebuild is going to come from; we're already massively in debt.

Communications and organization have been horrible. Didn't we spend a huge amount of money after 9/11 to ensure that just this sort of situation could be taken care of with organization? Apparently much of that money was wasted, and noone has to answer for it.

There were, have been, and continue to be a large number of failures, strategic mis-steps, and fiscal idiocies that helped lead to the Katrina disaster. And you don't even want me to start talking about how much Bush supports Global Warming...

Cycloptichorn

Attention seems to be drawn only to the many errors made by all levels of Govt in New Orleans.

Yet, Alabama and Mississippi also took a good beating by the storm.

Did local govts do a better job there that allowed the Feds to do a better job there? Biloxi is a pretty good size city that is destroyed. I would like to see WHY the States and the Feds handeled Al and MS better than LA.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:29 pm
maybe because the water came in, did it's damage and then receded, leaving an area much easier to get in to?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:32 pm
woiyo wrote:

"At a news conference, Pelosi, D-Calif., said Bush's choice for head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency had "absolutely no credentials."

"'I said because of all that went wrong, of all that didn't go right last week.' And he said 'What didn't go right?'"

Well, I guess she could not articulate what specificlly went wrong. I also wonder why she did not criticize the local Democratic Mayor as well as the Governor for their inaction?

Because she is a US Congresswoman!!! Local NO politics are beyond her control. When will you denialistas get it???
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He didn't provide leadership. He failed to see the threat that the hurricane posted even though he was warned that it could be that bad. He didn't mobilize his own cabinet to respond whatsoever (Cheney was STILL on vacation till yesterday and Condi was busy buying shoes while Bush played the guitar). People need to see a president who is actually doing something about problems.Cycloptichorn

Was he supposed to go down there, wade into the flood waters and give the democratic leaders of NO and LA explicit directions on how to run things? Ok, he didn't. I guess he is at fault for believing democrats in NO and LA know what they are doing.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

His appointees to FEMA were of the worst political nature; no previous experience, no reason to appoint them to these highly-paid positions other than the fact that they worked on his campaign. He is responsible for their poor performance.Cycloptichorn

Granted, I don't think his FEMA appointees are the best choices he could have made.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

How would money spent in Iraq had helped to save lives in NO? This is bull and you know it. If people stay in the path of a hurricane, for whatever reason, all the money in the world will not help them. Get real.

What communications are possible with everything knocked out by a hurricane? Yep, the locals did not seem to have any communications that lasted any length of time either. But somehow they are not to blame.

And yep, blame Katrina on global warming. That is bull crap also. There have always been disastrous hurricanes throughout our history. But it makes it easier to blame Bush by claiming global warming (which, according to those who believe in it has been happening long before Bush was in office).
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:55 pm
Chrissee wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Because she is a US Congresswoman!!! Local NO politics are beyond her control. When will you denialistas get it???

If NO politics is beyond her control, how can she know exactly what went right or wrong? Did she congratulate the Feds for doing a good job in Alabama and Mississippi or did she tell that to the locals?

I am sure in the days to come, we will find out exactly what went right and wrong in LA, MS, and AL. Until then, I would expect partisen a-holes to concentrate on helping those in need rather than play the blame game.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
Chrissee wrote:
woiyo wrote:

But local politics are not beyond Bush's control? Next time some area faces a major hurricane, I guess the only way you will be happy is if the Fed Gov steps in beforehand and tells the local people that they (the Fed Gov) will make the decisions and handle everything for them.

Will that make you happy? I bet it won't make any local government happy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:01 pm
eliminate federal taxes and let the states take care of thenselves, that would make me happy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:02 pm
Any response to my post, CR? About things that have gone wrong?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:07 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Any response to my post, CR? About things that have gone wrong?

Cycloptichorn

I responded several posts back Cy. You won't much like my response, but I did respond. :wink:
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:39 pm
Re: Pelosi: Bush, "Oblivious, dangerous"
Chrissee wrote:
Pelosi told Bush he should fire Brown because of all that went wrong, Bush replied, according to Pelosi, "What went wrong?"

Pelosi just told the media that Bushis oblivious, detached and dangerous!

You go girl, we Baltimore-born, California women can kick some ass!!!

Oh please! A top level Democrat comes in and stomps her feet and puts a pout on her already none too pretty mug and you decide to tell us about that?

Look here Chrissee it is clear you are a heavy hearted Democrat which is fine but isn't it about time you faced something new in life called reality?
You cannot keep blaming President Bush for absolutely everything. (well you can but it does not make any of it true)

Tell you what we're gonna do...every time you level a charge against a Republican I will level a charge against a Democrat. It would seem to be a good idea except that you have such a dull monumentally monotonous life that you'd clearly have 88088888 threads going all at once. Rather than clutter the board with more lunacy I will just keep an eye on you and correct you each time that you err. Hmm...that must be why I retired, I had to have time for my new full time job.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:51 pm
Sorry, somehow I missed this post when I was looking at the thread.

CoastalRat wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He didn't provide leadership. He failed to see the threat that the hurricane posted even though he was warned that it could be that bad. He didn't mobilize his own cabinet to respond whatsoever (Cheney was STILL on vacation till yesterday and Condi was busy buying shoes while Bush played the guitar). People need to see a president who is actually doing something about problems.Cycloptichorn

Was he supposed to go down there, wade into the flood waters and give the democratic leaders of NO and LA explicit directions on how to run things? Ok, he didn't. I guess he is at fault for believing democrats in NO and LA know what they are doing.

It isn't just a matter of showing up and telling everyone what to do. It was pretty obvious that FEMA was going to be involved somehow by Mon. afternoon, whether it was in NOLA or Mississippi or Alabama. Bush should have gone into 'danger mode' or whatever the federal equivalent of it is. While the Feds couldn't send in troops or act until requested there is a lot that can be done in either preparation of ground and air forces, or in preparation of media and political forces, of recovery and donation efforts, of asking people to listen to the mayor and get out. Of talking about the disaster for more than a minute in a speech about how great we are doing in Iraq.

As I've said earlier, Bush could have been on top of this one completely and scored a major victory with the American people; but he wasn't, and he didn't. The appearance of non-action during a time of crisis is dangerous for a prez with low ratings already. I don't think people blame Bush for what has went wrong but they aren't exactly talking about what a great job FEMA and the feds and the Admin. have done.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

His appointees to FEMA were of the worst political nature; no previous experience, no reason to appoint them to these highly-paid positions other than the fact that they worked on his campaign. He is responsible for their poor performance.Cycloptichorn

Granted, I don't think his FEMA appointees are the best choices he could have made.

Natch.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

How would money spent in Iraq had helped to save lives in NO? This is bull and you know it. If people stay in the path of a hurricane, for whatever reason, all the money in the world will not help them. Get real.

I'm not saying that money would have directly saved the lives of people who didn't leave NOLA, and while I think that the money that has been axed from our budgets for rebuilding the Mississippi river coastline over the last then years would have helped, they probably would have died anyways given the force of the storm.

No, I mean, when Bush goes and asks for 51.5 BILLION in aid for this event, where is that money going to come from? Are we just going to pile it on to the massive debt that the War has ran up for us? There's still a 5-billion (at least) dollar a month war going on, in case anyone has forgotten. We can't just keep writing checks and expect things to add up later on....

There is no doubt that w/out the war in Iraq, we'd have more money to rebuild our OWN country. I don't even see how this is arguable.

What communications are possible with everything knocked out by a hurricane? Yep, the locals did not seem to have any communications that lasted any length of time either. But somehow they are not to blame.

Wrong again. There are a lot of people to blame, who apparently never heard the Boy Scout motto.

I can't believe that people are surprised that NOLA didn't have good planning or execution of emergency plans; we ARE talking about the most corrupt city in America, hands down. They deserve a lot of blame.

But it's the job of FEMA and the Nat'l guard to institute communications systems during times of extreme duress. That's what we pay them to do. They failed in many ways in doing this. This needs to be addressed, immediately. Imagine if this had been a terrorist attack instead of a Mother Nature Terrorist attack.

And yep, blame Katrina on global warming. That is bull crap also. There have always been disastrous hurricanes throughout our history. But it makes it easier to blame Bush by claiming global warming (which, according to those who believe in it has been happening long before Bush was in office).

I, unlike you, understand that when you start changing the variables in a closed system (ie our environment) there will undoubtedly be effects. This is a scientific fact; that changing the elements of a closed system leads to change in the patterns of behaviour of that system. There is no reason, other than greed, to believe that the same does not hold true for our environment.

You are correct to point out that I erroneously used the term Global Warming, when the correct term is Climate Instability. My bad. Embarrassed

Cheers! While I doubt you will see heads roll over this one, it sure isn't a win for yer team.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:16 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Guess it depends on whether you hate Bush or not.

Personally, the biggest fault for the loss of life in NO is the local government and their seemingly inadequate plans for evacuating their own citizens when faced with a hurricane of this magnitude.

Ytpical. All the denialistas are capable of doing is ignore the facts and ACTUALLY believe the Rove propaganda. Really, some of you are beyond saving.
0 Replies