Name Calling Between Friends and lovers

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:42 pm
If a man called a women "catty" how would you take it as an insult or just a way of saying you were complaining to much about something
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,323 • Replies: 21
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:46 pm
That soooo depends on the situation at hand and the relationship itself.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
Yep, that's what I was going to say. And the specific context, and the tone, and a zillion things. I could see use of that word by my husband being funny and nothing, really pissing me off, and pretty much everywhere in between.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
What Little K said.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:55 pm
Much nicer to offer a saucer of cream.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:56 pm
"catty" is a level or two below "bitchy" - it's mild.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:57 pm
Goodfield, you sodden twit, only you could come out with such tripe.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:23 pm
Set, you crack me up! Laughing

btw: if that pic is of your dog, he/she has got to be the most adorable lil one I have ever seen.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:28 pm
That is Cleopatra, or Miss Cleo, as i call her. She is the friend and tenant of my Sweetiepie girl. She is a hardy explorer, who is in that picture standing on the banks of the Rideau. She has also been in all of the Great Lakes, Green Bay and the Wisconsin River. She is delighted by the world, and eager to see it all.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
Goodfield, you sodden twit, only you could come out with such tripe.

That took me hours of agonising thinking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:44 pm
I'm sorry . . . and then i come along and belittle your pathetic, if herculean, effort . . . i'm such a bad little doggie . . .
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:52 pm
Setanta wrote:
I'm sorry . . . and then i come along and belittle your pathetic, if herculean, effort . . . i'm such a bad little doggie . . .

Nah, doesn't fuss me at all - jeepers if I worried about having the piss taken out of me I wouldn't be here Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:38 pm
There is something ludicrously entertaining in witnessing your wonderful grammatically correct execution of "having the piss taken of me."

Thanks fer the laughs, Boss.
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:42 am
I think it's all about the name-caller's intent. If he's doing that because he knows it's gonna grate on your nerves, than it's pretty serious. I come from a family of people who are experts at torturing each other without anyone else realizing that's what they're doing.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:46 am
All of Ya'll crack me. Now I know whether or not to be insulted that is for sure.

Littllek I do believe you are right. It depends.

The person who said does come from one of those families that argue and fight all the time - plus call each other names. Soooo, I guess I will say it probably was a substitute for the "B" word but the person is so used to calling names that it might not be so bad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:46 am
Yup - if he knew that you don't like that use of language, it'd pretty much make him open season.

I wouldn't take it very well.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
Beth I did not take it well, not at all. But it was over a silly matter. But I felt I needed some stern and rudder before I took him on again over the issue.

I have looked in two dictionaries and both say catty or cattness can be a verb or noun and can mean deceitful, without mercy, and other bad names but I wanted put a more human face on the term.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:07 pm
I'd much rather be called "bitchy" than "catty".

"Bitchy" is an insult that implies some power. "Catty" suggests pettiness and jealousy.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 09:57 am
Ouch, Noddy you are so right. If you have to choose I would chose Bitch.

What about "nag - what if someone said "you are such a nag". How would all of you take that? Or not take it might be a better question.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:00 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I'd much rather be called "bitchy" than "catty".

"Bitchy" is an insult that implies some power. "Catty" suggests pettiness and jealousy.

I think this is one of those "Dog person" vs. "Cat person thing".

<<I don't dare call the women close to me either.>>
0 Replies