Being Fat or Smoking: Why is One Worse Than The Other?

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
I guess this means that either no one has an opinion about this or else everyone is so emotional over it they can't answer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:49 pm
i think there has been too much silence twords obesity in this country anyways.
Noone wants to talk about it.
Noone wants to address it
and if you are fat the rest of the world better ignore it, or at least act like they are ignoring it?

as america gets heavier and heavier, the gravitational pull will shift.. Laughing
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
why y'all gotta be putting down fat people. we need love and support. well, i may not be "fat" (my bmi says i am normal) but i am plumper than i should be...

on a more serious note, i think of smoking and obesity as relatively similar issues. while there are some medical reason that people are obese, more often than not, it is simply a lack of willpower. much like smoking in my mind. i don't really understand why it is OK to full on verbally assault those who smoke and it is taboo to do the same to those who are obese. both have very negative health effects.

i do think though that being obese has much more negative connotations to it than smoking. its not like you hear people saying, "haha you smoke". but "haha you're fat" is definitely an insult. why that is, i don't know. i guess it is just society. it is much more acceptable to be a smoker, thus more acceptable to make fun of them without repercussions than it is fat people. plus you can't really ban eating from outdoor places or airports like you can smoking.

definitely a good topic bella. and i have no answers...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
Bella, an article a few years ago in the New Yorker by Atul Gawande was really eye-opening for me about how much control people actually have over their weight. An excerpt:

Quote:
Apparently, how heavy one becomes is determined, in part, by how the hypothalamus and the brain stem adjudicate the conflicting signals from the mouth and the gut. Some people feel full quite early in a meal; others, like Vincent Caselli [the man to whom the title of the article refers], experience the appetizer effect for much longer. In the past several years, much has been discovered about the mechanisms of this control. We now know, for instance, that hormones, like leptin and neuropeptide Y, rise and fall with fat levels and adjust the appetite accordingly. But our knowledge of these mechanisms is still crude at best.

Consider a 1998 report concerning two men, "BR" and "RH," who suffered from profound amnesia. Like the protagonist in the movie "Memento," they could carry on a coherent conversation with you, but, once they had been distracted, they recalled nothing from as recently as a minute before, not even that they were talking to you. (BR had had a bout of viral encephalitis; RH had had a severe seizure disorder for twenty years.) Paul Rozin, a professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, thought of using them in an experiment that would explore the relationship between memory and eating. On three consecutive days, he and his team brought each subject his typical lunch (BR got meat loaf, barley soup, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, bread, butter, peaches, and tea; RH got veal parmigiana with pasta, string beans, juice, and apple crumb cake). Each day, BR ate all his lunch, and RH could not quite finish. Their plates were then taken away. Ten to thirty minutes later, the researchers would reappear with the same meal. "Here's lunch," they would announce. The men ate just as much as before. Another ten to thirty minutes later, the researchers again appeared with the same meal. "Here's lunch," they would say, and again the men would eat. On a couple of occasions, the researchers even offered RH a fourth lunch. Only then did he decline, saying that his stomach was a little tight". Stomach stretch receptors weren't completely ineffectual. Yet, in the absence of a memory of having eaten, social context alone,-someone walking in with lunch-was enough to re-create appetite.

Found that here, but haven't found the whole article online yet. A great one.

http://dangerblog.blogspot.com/2003/12/atul-shed-atul-gawande-writes-about.html
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I guess this means that either no one has an opinion about this or else everyone is so emotional over it they can't answer.

What was wrong with this? When you call a fat person out on their diet, you're obviously singling them out because they're overweight, which is attacking their looks/image/physical traits. That's going to be offensive to them. When you call out a smoker, you're just attacking a habit, which isn't going to offend them as much, or at all.

Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Calling someone out on their eating habits related to their obesity is more of a personal attack. You're pointing out their physical flaws which will make the person insecure/feel bad...smoking is just a nasty habit that's not directly related to how a person looks.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
interesting article..
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:06 pm
By the way Bella...don't they make those jeans you're wearing in a size that fits?

DAYYYYUM!!!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:09 pm
That is interesting Soz. Like I said, I really am interested in this.

I have to eat many small meals a day because I can't eat very much in a sitting before feeling full. However, I am hungry 2 hours later and have to eat again.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:11 pm
Haha...I remember in college I was hanging out in these girl's apartment, when one came back with a bunch of McDonalds. One girl who was a heavy hitter, after eating her quater pounder value meal sees there's another cheesburger left, and grabs it.

I look at her and say, "that's just disgusting." I could care less she was fat and may have thought I said it because of it. Same girl used to complain how she was overweight.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

What was wrong with this? When you call a fat person out on their diet, you're obviously singling them out because they're overweight, which is attacking their looks/image/physical traits. That's going to be offensive to them. When you call out a smoker, you're just attacking a habit, which isn't going to offend them as much, or at all.

Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Calling someone out on their eating habits related to their obesity is more of a personal attack. You're pointing out their physical flaws which will make the person insecure/feel bad...smoking is just a nasty habit that's not directly related to how a person looks.

I think that telling someone that their lifestyle is wrong is also a personal attack. Telling them a choice they've made is wrong is a personal attack. Religious attacks happen all the time and no one bats an eyelash. To some, religion is the most personal thing but we don't hesitate to tell them their god is stupid or they are wrong and delusional. How is that ok?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

I guess I mean that when you tell some fat person "hey, you shouldn't be eating that taco, that's why you're fat," it's worse than telling a smoker it's bad for their health. The sole reason because when you're talking to the fat person, you're attacking their personal choice(the food) AND their physical traits(being a fat pig).

In my experience, smokers hear that stuff all the time and shrug it off. Fat people aren't used to being called out on their diet, at least by people they hardly know.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:20 pm
I don't know where the rest of you live, but where I live, it isn't acceptable to criticize a person's appearance OR habits in public. That would be considered unkind and extremely rude. Maybe it's just a Southern thing.

I would only bring up either in a private discussion with a VERY close friend. Maybe not even then, if I thought they'd be sensitive about it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:23 pm
For the record, I don't bother telling people how smoking or what they eat is bad for their health. They obviously know this, and if they don't they should be shot in public.

However, many people don't fully understand what foods are and are not healthy.

For example, my friend who has ballooned up thinks he's doing himself a favor by drinking Gatorade all day rather than Coke. Gatorade carries a healthy/athletic image, but it's still loaded with simple sugars. Still gonna make ya' fat.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:26 pm
Slappy, you bring up a good point. He is trying to lose the weight but can't because he is uneducated. Whose fault? Partly his because he didn't do any homework on his diet.
Partly...who else?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:26 pm
As a fat boy who smokes, i just wanted to say how much this thread cheers me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
As a fat boy who smokes, i just wanted to say how much this thread cheers me.

Please don't take it personally.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:33 pm
I don't, i was laughing . . .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:34 pm
: lights a cig:

me too fellow chubby person. ;-)
me too...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
I don't, i was laughing . . .

Ok, good.

:wink:
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:38 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Slappy, you bring up a good point. He is trying to lose the weight but can't because he is uneducated. Whose fault? Partly his because he didn't do any homework on his diet.
Partly...who else?

Not partly. Completely.

If you make the decision to lose weight, gain muscle, any physical goals. What should you do?

Well, I went out, bought a bunch of fitness/weight lifting magazines, searched the internet for articles, talked to friends who worked out, ect. Educated myself...because as someone who doesn't live under a rock, I knew there's a lot of info out there.

So yea, it's his fault. It's an example of someone making a half-assed approach to losing weight. He's not very serious about it.
0 Replies