Useful word lists like the SAT 500 list?

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 02:45 pm
I'm on a mini quest to improve reading comprehension. It is not really lacking, supposedly it's college level (which really is more of a statement about college students than myself), but not knowing several words on a page is rather unnerving. I usually know 3/4 of the "big words" I encounter, that SAT 500 list really helped with it. The words it had weren't just favored SAT words, they were also words you'd often find in many books. Do you know of any more lists like that? Practical lists that have popular "big words".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 813 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Boephe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:51 am
you could try looking at some local school spelling bee thingos or in a library. For a spelling bee, they often give out a book with a lot of words and then you can google them or something. Or just read bits of the dictionary randomly. Or you could find a site with a "word of the day" type thing a sign up to have them sent to you. That's fun too.

hope this helps and good luck with the English. My mum hates uni students who can't use English properly in their essay so go you for looking for improvement.

Boephe
0 Replies