"Going to church" as euphemism for sex

Doomed

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:38 pm
An aquaintance of mine recently said he, "went to church in the woods." I think he meant he had sex in the woods (with his wife). I'm too embarrassed to ask. Has anybody ever heard this phrase? I might have heard it used to describe prostitutes going "to church" with their johns (on a TV show). I Googled it with no luck at all. Cannot find it in slang dictionaries. Is it an old? New? Am I just imagining things?

I just can't stand a mystery.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,796 • Replies: 26
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:38 am
Hmmm, I never heard that before. I don't understand the association of the phrase. I would not use it myself, but it would be interesting to find out where it came from.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:46 am
Googled the phrase and found this song or poem

"CHURCH IN THE WOODS
I went to church in the woods today;
I didn't hear a preacher pray.
A sermon from the blessed book;
Instead I hear the ripple of a brook.

The choir I heard was the melodies of birds,
The sweetest sounds, no need for words.
Their feathered throats brilled high with praise,
Till I felt a voice I had to raise.

Then I knelt in that mossy cathedral of God
The thrill of peace was born
among the woods on that Sabbath morn."
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:55 am
Now that makes more sense. Kewl poem.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:59 am
Somehow I doubt that poem is about sex...

... but it could be.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:04 am
ebrown_p wrote:

... but it could be.

I think it's more religious. It's like someone looking for god, in god's true temple (or church) which is nature.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:14 am
Re: "Going to church" as euphemism for sex
Doomed wrote:
An aquaintance of mine recently said he, "went to church in the woods." I think he meant he had sex in the woods (with his wife). I'm too embarrassed to ask. Has anybody ever heard this phrase? I might have heard it used to describe prostitutes going "to church" with their johns (on a TV show). I Googled it with no luck at all. Cannot find it in slang dictionaries. Is it an old? New? Am I just imagining things?

I just can't stand a mystery.

Maybe the person who said this is looking at sex as a natural part of gods creation, and may have known about the poem.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:33 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

... but it could be.

I think it's more religious. It's like someone looking for god, in god's true temple (or church) which is nature.

This stanza makes me wonder...

Quote:

0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:46 am
ebrown_p wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

... but it could be.

This stanza makes me wonder...

Quote:

Do you mean the last sentence? It could be the voice of the spirit, raised to sing and praise from the inspiration the poet felt. But, I also see what you mean. But, the tittle, and the rest of the sentences in the poem lead me to believe it's a religious poet inspired by the wonder of the world.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:50 am
But, you know brown, it would be very beautiful to make love, or have sex, in such a setting. :wink:

Let me clarify, I would rather make love underneath the dome of stars or celestial sun, in the church of my beautiful planet.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:57 am
From what I can read on the internet on the sites citing this poem, it's religious.
0 Replies

Doomed

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:16 am
Yeah, why not combine spiritual (nature) estasy with the sensual (human nature)? That's an interesting link in terms of in the two kinds of "going to church."

If "going to church" is used as an euphemism because sex is naughty, even dirty, then what better ironic substitute is the phrase "going to church," which usually means a kind of spiritual cleansing.

I wonder if the usage of the phrase is just one of those family inventions and not a known slang expression ??? I think it's a pretty good one, don't you?

Anybody else ever heard this?
0 Replies

Doomed

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:28 am
whoops, meant "ecstasy," my spelling is atrocious.

Also, just musing ... sex is revered as a means to religious ecstasy in some religions. What a far cry from the Judeo/Christian tradition where sex and religion are usually seem as separated into two - opposing - camps ... just a thought
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:19 pm
Has anyone ever heard the saying "baking cookies"
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:59 am
My wife and I have terms that sound perfectly normal we use so we can talk in front of the kids.

"Baking cookies" (as in "you want to bake cookies tonight honey?") sounds like one of these.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:04 am
ebrown_p wrote:
My wife and I have terms that sound perfectly normal we use so we can talk in front of the kids.

"Baking cookies" (as in "you want to bake cookies tonight honey?") sounds like one of these.

I have heard some people say "a bun in the oven" for a woman being pregnant.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:17 am
I have heard of "trains and tunnels", "cars and garages", "on the nest"and
"hide the sausage" in that context, but never "going to church".

The only time I have heard that phrase or similar, to mean anything else is when someone is going down to the Pub. Normally on a Sunday lunchtime.

"I'll mow the lawn this afternoon, dear...I'm just off to church with Harry"

Safety Warning: Anyone wishing to partake in hide the sausage under the celestial sun should always apply sufficient sunblock to relevant parts.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:22 am
ebrown wrote:

<ebrown jr. hears such a phrase muttered by his dad and turns to his sister, rolls his eyes, and says, "The old man is gonna pester the old lady again.>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:56 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

I have heard some people say "a bun in the oven" for a woman being pregnant.

Bun in the oven.....
Very common expression here in England. Also, the quaint phrase "Oh look, she's up the duff!"
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:04 am
LOL
0 Replies