Why not send cruise ships to New Orleans?

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:32 pm
Carnival Cruise Lines has a substantial fleet of ships. Couldn't they send one or two down to New Orleans? The ships hold thousands of people and they have plenty of food and water.

Obviously it would be unrealistic to expect Carnival to pick up the tab. Even though such a gesture would do wonders for their image I imagine the cost would be substantial and most companies, afterall, are concerned about their bottom line.

But money from the relief fund could pay for a good part of it, along with donations.

Is this a ridiculous idea?

Feedback please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,547 • Replies: 81
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:34 pm
damn good idea, Gus I think you should call George immediately and make the suggestion.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:34 pm
I saw on the news, a few hours aqo, that they are in negotiation with Carnival for this very purpose.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:36 pm
Still have to get the people out to the ships, no? Good thinking Gus.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:37 pm
Cool!

Further proof that Gus should be prez.

Wait, isn't he already pope or something?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:44 pm
No....dock.

We are trying to avoid drowning them, but they may opt for drowning at his point.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:45 pm
Lash,
Your humour is lost, at this point. Shame.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:51 pm
I was being serious.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:52 pm
If would definitely be easier with a dock, but it still seems like some kind of ferrying to and from with smaller boats would help the overall situation.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:55 pm
Lash wrote:
I was being serious.

Even worse.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:55 pm
I'm sorry I didn't think of that, good idea, Gus. I think - I have no idea of facilities for ships at port, but they do bring agricultural exports out of Louisiana, don't they? I think Timber said that earlier.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
They have helicopters down there. They could shuttle people to and fro.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:00 pm
Well, maybe not fro.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:07 pm
cruiseships have plenty of tenders/lifeboats to ferry passengers even in the worst of weather.
there should be plenty of cruiseships in florida ports to take on the job of serving as temporary shelters. they also have first-class medical facilities to take care of injured and disabled people.
it will be interesting to see if anything will materialize.
watching CNBC tonight it looked - and that was stated by many officials on the ground - like complete chaos. many state officials sounded quite annoyed by the lack of response and even misleading information.
since the hurricane center issued dire warning days before katrina hit, it's at least somewhat surprising that rescue efforts are rather disorganized. hbg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:09 pm
Quote:
since the hurricane center issued dire warning days before katrina hit, it's at least somewhat surprising that rescue efforts are rather disorganized.

Exactly!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:11 pm
ditto that exactly!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:12 pm
An excellent idea gus.

Lash is right - no dock makes it dangerous. I have been on cruise ships which were in deep harbours but couldn't get closer to shore (Aden, Yemen and Colombo, Sri Lanka) so they brought boats out for disembarkation. Now this was in good weather and everything was peaceful and orderly yet there were still a few incidents where people lost their footing and nearly fell into the water. In this situation with sick and injured it would be a massive undertaking. However it's worth doing but the difficulties shouldn't be ignored.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:15 pm
It makes you realize how fragile our living conditions are. We can be thrown back to the dark ages by one big act of Mother Nature. Apparently the government can't be counted on in such a crisis. I am really disappointed in our whole social system - it's just doesn't work when you really need it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:33 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Well, maybe not fro.

If we were giving out points, I'd give you one for that. Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:34 pm
goodfielder wrote:

Lash is right -

If we were giving out points, I'd give you two for that.
0 Replies