Where's The Global Aid?

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:14 am
Why is no other country, not even Britain, sending us aid, ships, workers, help of any kind to clean up OUR gulf area?

Do you think there's any chance that bushco might divert some Iraq war funds to help clean up our own country?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,111 • Replies: 35
No top replies

ul

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:49 am
As far as I know a country has to ask other countries for help- up to now the USA did not ask.
The spokeswoman for the Internal Red Cross asked for finacial donations but confirmed that they were not asked to send people over.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:48 am
I have received a couple of solicitations from charities I normally donate to for money to help re the hurricane.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:42 am
As I understand, only Isreal and England have made contact with our Govt.

However, I do understand your point and frankly, I am not surprised by the silence of the so called "world community".
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:50 am
I head on DateLine last night that 12 countries have pledged aid. But they didn't say which ones. So.....they want to remain anonymous? Confused Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:53 am
woiyo wrote:

However, I do understand your point and frankly, I am not surprised by the silence of the so called "world community".

Why? We bust our asses every time another country needs aid. We send food and water and medics. People give up their lives for a time to help strangers across the world. Billions of dollars have gone to the aid of other countries. I think its a shame that we don't have people knocking down our door to help. If not with money, with people to search with and help the sick and wounded.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:57 am
It would seem to me that the US can handle this on our own. We are still the richest country in the world? In addition, we, the US has not played well with others of late.

Did the US ask for or receive help from the outside on 9/11?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:59 am
Mexico and Canada offered help almost immediately.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:00 am
Joanne, we just don't have enough people to help! There aren't enough rescue teams.... there are still places that no one has gotten to...those people are dead because we didn't have enough rescuers.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:05 am
Chavez, of all people, has offered food and fuel:
Venezuela tries to improve US relations
I suspect more countries will step up once the scope of the disaster is more defined.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:24 am
It is time for the US government to understand charity begins at home. Even prior to this disaster there were millions of American citizens living in poverty. It is time that we use our tax revenues for the good of the American people first and not to correct the ills of the world.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:41 am
au1929 wrote:
It is time for the US government to understand charity begins at home. Even prior to this disaster there were millions of American citizens living in poverty. It is time that we use our tax revenues for the good of the American people first and not to correct the ills of the world.

well put, but to the citizens who support bushco, foreign poor are needy, american poor are bums at the tit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:49 am
I agree that we need to help our own, and I have. But I also helped those in the tsunami.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:00 am
Bella Dea

I am not speaking of the charitable donations of individuals but rather of the US government acting as a conduit for our tax dollars to foreign nations when the need exists at home.I am for no foreign aid until the domestic needs are satisfied.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:08 am
Mexico has been sending helpers for years.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:10 am
au1929 wrote:
Bella Dea

I am not speaking of the charitable donations of individuals but rather of the US government acting as a conduit for our tax dollars to foreign nations when the need exists at home.I am for no foreign aid until the domestic needs are satisfied.

Ah yes....that I agree with. Why feed the hungry in Africa when there are hungry right in our own cities?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:20 am
Venezuela offers hurricane aid to US
CARACAS, Venezuela, Aug. 31 (UPI) -- Venezuela is offering emergency oil and food supplies to the United States for victims of Hurricane Katrina, Globovision TV reported Wednesday.

"The Venezuelan government and nation express to the United States and its leaders their dismay regarding the magnitude ... of Hurricane Katrina," read a Foreign Ministry Statement.

Venezuelan is already a major supplier of oil to the United States, which has had its oil supplies from the Gulf of Mexico hampered by the devastating effects of Katrina.

The offer for assistance comes amid tensions between the United States and Venezuela. The White House accuses leftist President Hugo Chavez of turning Venezuela into a Cuba-style state.

Chavez in turn accuses the United States of trying to aid his political opposition and facilitating his overthrow.

Copyright 2005

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?feed=TopNews&article=UPI-1-20050831-23135500-bc-venezuela-us.xml
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:25 am
Why feed the hungry in Africa when there are hungry in our own cities?

Because we can do both.

Stop paying farmers to NOT grow crops. Stop controlling food prices by storing tons of grain in bins that end up rotting.

It's a matter of choosing what is important in our government policies as well as those around the world.

Why should other countries rush to our aid. We have squandered good will. Who wants to come to the aid of a bully when seeing that someone is finally taking his lunch money for a change?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:26 am
squinney wrote:
Why feed the hungry in Africa when there are hungry in our own cities?

Because we can do both.

Stop paying farmers to NOT grow crops. Stop controlling food prices by storing tons of grain in bins that end up rotting.

It's a matter of choosing what is important in our government policies as well as those around the world.

Right, but we don't, and that's the problem. If we HAVE to choose, why not choose our own?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:35 am
Because some few certain people as necessary casualties. Expenadble.
0 Replies