hiking - what to bring?

roger

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:17 pm
Yes, but the pump type filtration systems take a distinct effort, so I wonder how long the water would take work its way through the filter. Anyway, if you're dealing with guardia, which is about everywhere, the water on the bottle but above the filter might carry enough cysts to do you in. Might work - I haven't tried it. I've also heard of a straw with a filter inside it. Never tried that either.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:37 pm
hmmm..... so, tablets or pumps for longer expeditions.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:42 pm
I heard some negative commentary on the tablets over the long term, but it probably doesn't apply to a hike limited by the groceries you could carry. Anyway, I don't remember what the negative was supposed to be.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:07 pm
When I was doing a dig in UT, "Doc" the ex-military guy who then ran the Arch department at SUSC had us rinse all water containers with bleach. So, a little water, a cap of bleach swish, dump and DON'T rinse with plain water, fill up for consumption. That was fine in the field, but I wouldn't want to live that way.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:32 pm
That'd work, but there are two things I won't carry in a pack - bleach and kerosine. I will carry white gas, which isn't a lot better than kerosine if it spills.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:36 pm
Nope, not carrying bleach either. I was thinking that the bleach thing was sort of like the tablet purifying thing. Good in temp/small quantities, not so good long-term.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:05 am
I always used "Potable Agua" tablets on my backpcking trips. Almost always two per litre because the water was always very cold (Wyoming Rockies) or filled with leaf litter (Missouri Ozark Trail & national forests). The only time I came down with giardia (and boy is it nasty) was in the city of Barranquilla, Colombia.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:15 am
Gus if you do go to Machu Pichu be damn carefull of the restaurants in Cuzco. There is such a high incidence of food poisioning (I had to call a doctor to our hostel for my wife) that a girl with some foundation was at the airport interviewing travelers regarding any food poisioning experiences they might have had while in Cuzco.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
I read recently that many hiker's blame their tummy troubles on contaminated water when the real culprit is slip-shod basic sanitary habits of the hikers.

The author suggested packing little containers of spray disinfectant which can be used without water for handwashing after the latrine and before the cookpot.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:32 pm
I brought baby-wipe types of things (didn't need them) and purell hand sanitizer. I'd recommend at least the later.....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:47 pm
eh, i survived india drinking tap water and eating just about everything everywhere... no problems. i guess one has to be conditioned from childhood. i loved playing in dirt as a kid. never had a problem while traveling.
maybe playing in dirt for a few weeks prior to hiking would immunize oneself?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:53 pm
Wellll, from my recent experience with a friend's death, I'll say, bring a cell phone, assuming one gets reception in the area.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:23 pm
Osso, I thought of you and your friend on my hike.

Dag, I too played in dirt as a child and had super immunity. Somehow, something has changed drastically since then.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
<I finally read an article by a friend about her that gave me some peace about it, just this afternoon. I'll post it on the thread on her in art forum.>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:00 pm
good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:36 pm
link to that...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1557085#1557085
0 Replies