hiking - what to bring?

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:03 pm
I have to make a decision. Should I try to reach him tonight or talk about it tomorrow after I see how I feel?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:05 pm
My friend on the trail contacted me, littlek. There were some scary moments, trapped on the trail in a driving rain, wind gusts snapping tree all around, pitch black, that sort of thing.

Fortunately there was a road nearby and my friend managed to reach it and tether a tent to a roadsign. Then, after three agonizing hours of attempting to flag down cars, one finally stopped, and, while not willing to offer a ride, did have the decency to contact a squad car.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:06 pm
What tends to happen when you first get sick?

Do you tend more towards weakness/ exhaustion or just runny nose and such?

What happens with me when I'm weak/ exhausted is not so much that I collapse in a heap as that I make bad decisions, and am more likely to injure myself.

But everyone reacts differently, you know your limits.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:07 pm
Whew about your friend, Gus.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:09 pm
Soz, I'm sick, I don't KNOW anything. I really really really wanna gooooooo. Usually I work through being sick, but I'm tired at the end of the day. Rarely do I call in sick. I know that my nephew had several nights with fever from this bug, but those kids get fevers (I don't have one right now).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:10 pm
Gus, I'm glad your friend's ok Did s/he get back on the trail?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:12 pm
sozobe wrote:
What happens with me when I'm ... not so much that I collapse in a heap as that I make bad decisions, and am more likely to injure myself.

Given that l'k's companion has some difficulty with this - she needs to be sure that she's going to be able to spot her companion's problems as well as her own.

Be sure you're up for it, l'k.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:12 pm
Quote:
Soz, I'm sick, I don't KNOW anything.

See, that's what I mean. If it's a challenge even when you're healthy, that makes me a little nervous.

But that's me firmly in mom mode, and after watching Katrina stuff and worrying about people all day and wanting everyone to be safe.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:37 pm
littlek wrote:
Gus, I'm glad your friend's ok Did s/he get back on the trail?

Yep, another month to go.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:41 pm
I tend to vascilate between recklessness and over-thinking. I called the guy and asked what he thought. He sounded like he thought I was an idiot for asking him. I kind of was - I just can't seem to make a good decision. So, we're going. Wish me luck.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:43 pm
Good luck!

Have fun.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:07 pm
Big blisters, dead quads, aching knees and feet, sunburnt nose and cheeks, only 5 good photos..... I had a blast!

I wonder if I'll be able to walk tomorrow.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:09 pm
Glad you had so much fun! And glad you went.

Post those photos!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:45 pm
Did you ask for pictures?

The trail leading up the first peak was called the Falling Water Trail - it ran along a cascading stream. This first mountain is Haystack, elev unknown to me, it was like climbing a 2000' plus staircase. Here's one of the river itself (not a great shot, but we didn't stop often or for very long):

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgAZA3AcxR6!Hop!ofRgnsUDeRbRmcG70WUNR3mNXgWdTzpyvc*4oDOqVWwbPlo3sCIXMAP9y8PmP6lomFo8i!TuXJ5iPT3!Vey7zFOEjVjmfpYJF!L4lNAALWC5kAkL/lafayettefallingwatersmall.jpg

After we left the river, we took a quick (but brutal) detour to a place called Shining Rock. A sheer granite face with a constant sheen of running water over it and a beautiful view of the valley from whence we came. It was beautiful, but I was too busy bandaging my blisters to get a decent photo.

As we ascended up from there, I started to think I wouldn't make it. Not that I wouldn't finish the trail, but that I wouldn't finish the trail alive. My heart was racing and I'd stop often, for long enough to get it back down to target-rate-elevated before climbing more stairs. My hiking companion (HC) would wait for me (sometimes smoking a cigaret) after jogging up the stairs, but when I got there he'd continue (no break for the out of shape - he said himself he's a hiking nazi, albeit a kind hiking nazi). I started cursing the name of the mountain (Haystack!?!? This isn't a fjicking haystack! Who the fjick decided to call it Haystack!?! And, what were they thinking?) HC kept saying, we're almost at the top! Pfffft.

We crossed the alpine threshold, wound through a path in a grove of stunted firs, and popped above the tree line. Whoa! This is the reason. this is why (some) people hike mountains. I arrive at the peak to find HC perched on some boulders and make excuses to take a longer break. i need to eat some protien, my thigh muscles want to cease flexing. I down some humus which never really seemed to help. Sugar. Sugar is the key. Oh look, a cute little alpine flower. i think I need to photograph this - hang on, let me frame the shot..... not much longer:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgDvAngc9CC!Hop!ofRgnhFpxzO7Khcvc0S6JQTYzjE6XlgbHHAmaU90*crMyBrQEk!ahgybrDRqeVuygyinlr!yx9dYA29DXMGuYWf2pFstosLtvGvV6b8lT0dv8evv/lafayettealpineflowersmall.jpg

We then start off for the summit of Mt Lincoln, elev. 5,089'. We stop atop this peak and I eat loads of sugar (this does help). Between Mts Lincoln and Lafayette is the hogback ridge - this is where the path is. The path up toLincoln and Lafayette looks daunting from where I sat on Haystack (HA!), but we achieve the two peaks relatively easily. Before we make our final ascent onto Lafayette, elev. 5,260', we stop and I shoot back and forward. First is Lincoln and the ridgeway:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XgDrArgfcUa!Hop!ofRgnpeTJ*P*o20yKIB7EyCUcty!npp!WoWVKOPWX7vTZhAPTgAUJdLEIInkCQNf*P00RwHcDroCqpcy0wE8dO5IbOSq!FoGUeeLkK0L4oDUouzI2HNSJsJst*o/lafayettelookingbackatlincolnsmall.jpg

and next is (gulp) Lafayette:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwCVAjAbqLW!Hop!ofRgnuCcZBtWTIQZATrYPcNxI0PTCLjzWKVYvxOl8!awc5swZaxnGuk445IygxteoSTiyuDjZxSKvBcs2bkoDEUjL2OEOYIy9nh*520IX4QSFt!X/lafayettepancentersmall.jpg

After bagging our final peak (after 3.1 miles... maybe), we descend a steep scree slope made hikable by hand placed boulders. Back down into the scrubby alpine forest. We eat bunchberry berries and continuously jam our toes into the ends of our shoes. After some time we reach the Greenleaf Hut (a place where one can make reservations for a bed and meals while hiking the mountain) , use the facilities, rest, and continue onward. We watched a glider swoop and loft his way through the thermals around the peaks - quite fascinating and beautiful. The HC literally ran down the rest of the mountain. My heart rate was normal, I didn't have to pant, I could converse with him (when he was nearby) without feeling like I was suffocating. But, it was hell on my knees.

We did the hike, part of it on the Appalaichan Trail, in about 7 hours. After, on the second peak, I told him I felt embarassed about how out of shape I was and that I felt badly about holding him up, he said, don't worry about it. When we were cooling down and snacking in his car I asked why we were so ahead of his schedule (we were off the mountain at least 2 hours earlier than planned) and he told me that he'd planned for me to hike the loop more slowly. I was actually faster than he'd planned! Nice. So, maybe we could have stopped a couple more times to take pictures of things like the wild bunchberry or the monsterous trillium or the fields of ladyslippers....... ah well. I hadn't planned on doing any of that this hike anyway.

I am wired right now. I thought I'd be in bed exhausted, but I'm happy, relaxed and slightly in pain instead.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:50 pm
What's your altitude at destination, lilk? If you're going from a base as sealeavel, more or less, and going to be above 6,000 ft, turn back at the first sign of vision or respiratory problems.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:51 pm
Oof, our trail: 9.0 miles with an elevation gain of about 3800 feet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:51 pm
Ulp! Too late, as usual
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:52 pm
Roger, I was having minor halucinations at the start. Rocks seemed to be moving when they weren't - that sort of thing. It went away.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:55 pm
Yay, pics!! (Reminds me, I took the roll of yard photos but not developed yet.) The alpine flower one is lovely!

The whole thing looks great. I want to go hiking.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:58 pm
Can't wait to see your garden pix.

GO HIKING!
0 Replies