hiking - what to bring?

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:01 pm
I'm taking (I hope) a strenuous 6-8 hour hike this friday in the white mountains. What things should I bring? It's not Mt Washington, so weather is a little less of an issue (besides it's the 'safe' season). I will be hiking from morning into afternoon and will need to bring food and water. I have a mid-sized back pack.

So, I figure almonds are a good food. And maybe some humus and corn chips. I have a small cold storage bag (about the size of a brown paper lunch bag). In this I was going to put a yogurt, the humus, and possibly tuna salad.

As for gear, I have no idea.... extra socks? A trash bag in case of rain? Will sneakers be ok to hike in? Should I wear long pants or are shorts ok?

the mountain is Lafayette. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=6909
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,758 • Replies: 95
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:10 pm
A light rain jacket, for sure. Extra socks are a maybe, but remember that two pair of thin socks dry out quicker than one thick pair. I've about decided that peanut butter is the staff of life. If you weren't a veggie, I might suggest those spicy beef sticks, on the order of Slim Jims. That's the only time I eat the darn things.

For water, a flexible canteen, on the order of a bota seems to work best, unless you are carrying bottles inside a pocket of the pack. I can's stand a stiff canteen bouncing around.

A good hiking staff or trekking poles is a god send.

Sneakers? How rocky is the trail and how much load are you carrying? Both indicate a heavier shoe, especially a stiff sole.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:18 pm
Thanks Roger..... I'd have to buy a light water proof jacket. How about cutting a hole out of a trash bag and wearing it as a poncho? Or should I head to the store?

I hate peanut butter, but isn't the almond thing largely the same? I also have dried fruits (craisins and dried blueberries and cherries). I have one of those nagalene bottles (1 liter) and will likely pack pre-packaged water and juice into pockets.

Good idea about doubling up the thin socks!

I dunno how rocky the trail is, fairly certain it's rough, but not so much that you need to use your hands. I have an oooooooold pair of vasque hikers which are hideous and not terribly comfy, but they are hard-soled. And I have a pair of cross-trainers. I dunno if buying a new pair of shoes would be wise at this point. Wait! I have a pair of old Merrels my sister gave me which are light-hikers with semi-rigid soles - hmmm, have one on my bigger foot. The only problem is they might be too narrow. But, I think I'll be wearing them anyway (and bringing bandaids).

And, since I ghave you, roger, I am hiking with a diabetic friend. Any special hints on things to pack for him? Should I just let him worry about him?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:22 pm
This is a topic where my husband and I really differ. I'm one of those people who would bring a down coat, a bathing suit a good pair of dancing shoes (you never know when the music will start) and a parachute. My husband (former field biologist and king of the "walkabout") thinks anything bigger than a match stick is a waste of space and energy.

Therefore, I must suggest matches in his name and I would whittle my list down to a good piece of brie, a slice of tomato and a chunk of crusty bread. Maybe a little notebook and a few colored pencils for observations... a few pieces of salt water taffy to chew on wouldn't take up too much space...
Enjoy!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:26 pm
Thanks GW! I forgot I bought some little individually wrapped chunks of cheddar. Bread's a good idea, but maybe corn chips cover that? bread won't crumble...
Matches! I was thinking about that! Matches and cell phone go into a zip-lock baggie. A bathing suit doesn't take much room and could be very useful. Thanks again!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:31 pm
But not having a bathing suit can be very useful too. Ya know... "Darn, I'm so hot from hiking and that secluded mountain lake looks so refreshing... sigh..."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:38 pm
Pretty much agree with roger - bring plenty of water - an alternate would be GatorAde - and low-volume, high-energy food. Peanut butter is a real winner there, and "in the boonies" is about the only time I eat pb&j sammiches, and then I count on 'em. Pb& honey is great, too. I'm not a big fan of trail-mix-type munchies; they tend to be a little on the salty side, and can up your water consumption. I've found hard candies are good to have on hand - I like the ones that are a little tart. Spare socks are an absolute must, from my point of view. A garbage-bag poncho will work in a pinch - I do that from time to time, one's always in my basic hiking kit, but a light, weatherproof windbreaker, with a hood, is a better solution. A compass or GPS is a good idea, and now days, you're foolish to go without a cell phone. You don't have to turn it on unless you really, really need it to summon help, but if that rare occasion does come up, you won't begrudge the extra weight a bit. Shorts or long pants is pretty much a user call; if weather impends, otr if there is likely to be brush and brambles to navigate, then long for sure; otherwise go with what makes you happy. If you do go with shorts, you might wanna bring along a set of leg warmers just in case, and dressing in layers is always best - a few light layers will serve as well as, and be more adaptable than, a single heavy layer.

Oh - and NEVER go hiking in brand new boots; if you don't already have a comfy pair with decent ankle support, buy a good pair as far in advance of your hike as you can, and wear them a few hours a day to break them in before counting on them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:07 pm
Vasque is one of the best, of course, and I had a pair of Merril Ramblers that I loved till the day they died a hard death. Sadly, I rate fit and comfort higher than design, so if the Merrils don't fit, I wouldn't wear them.

Yes, the hiker with diabetes. The only problem I can imagine is hypoglycemia. I get by without medication using exercise and diet and can tell you that I have a major spike, I can walk briskly for 25 or 30 minutes and drop 100 points immediately. If friend has trouble focusing, gets weak and trembly, and maybe breaks out in a sweat without reason, it's time to feed her. Timber's suggestion on Gatorade is not out of line. Skin milk is better and quicker, but not well suited to the trails. From dealing with Screech, I'm sure you wouldn't administer insulin even if it were available. Good.

I would much rather the rain jacket than the plastic bag, though you might use it to protect the pack. Good rain jackets can be expensive on short notice, though. If you had more time, you could shop sierra traders and backcountry online, but not by friday. If your weather is reasonably predictable, maybe go with the bag and hope you don't need it.

When I was backpacking, I always carried a plastic trowel and roll of toilet paper. Now here is a great use for plastic bags. Even overnight condensation in a good tent will take all the satisfaction away from a roll.

Don't like peanut butter. Okay, but I seem to recall you were into nutella for awhile. Probably better for you. Too many carbs and calories for be, but you've a different metabolism, and it's hard to get too much of either on a strenuous hike.

God, this makes me realize how much we know about people we've never met.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:11 pm
Ok, more good advice, thanks Timber.

And, soz, you may have a good point there. Not suit = less dry time.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:21 am
My favorite trail food when I'm backpacking is grapenuts and raisins. It's good enough that I'm rewarded during rest breaks but not so yummy that I gobble up my whole supply in a couple of sittings.

A breathable Gor-tex jacket is invaluable for such a hike. Even if it doesn't rain it serves as a windbreaker. A trash bag might work for a brief light shower but if it really rains you won't be very happy. Sneakers don't offer much protection and you might have pretty sore feet after eight hours of hiking. There are are lots of low shoes with light boot construction available at places like REI. You probobly don't need ankle support, that is actual hiking boots unless you are carrying fifteen ponds or more in your pack.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:26 am
chocolate and apples. best combination, and a great award when on top (of the hill, you know). a few sugar cubes for the diabetic special friend.
i'll be worried about you hiking in sneakers - you should get some decent goretex boots that cover your ankles stat, but agree that it would be a suicide to go in new boots.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:55 am
Pitter makes a reasonable point re low-top hiking shoes. For general, casual use, they're all most folks ever will need. I tend to be a little biased, though; my standard footware is water-proof, brush-proof, snake-proof high-top, steel-toed, traction-soled work/hike boots of relatively "Industrial" quality (strongly insulated ones for winter - it gets damned cold, and stays that way way a long, long time here in The Northwoods - just waterproof for warmer weather). I've worn 'em for years. They ain't cheap, but good ones need not be all that "heavy", particularly if you're used to them, and they last a long, long time, given reasonable care and occasional professional renewal. I have a couple pairs well over 20 years old, and I also have and like genuine military "Jump Boots" (superb ankle support - ideal for hiking/climbing over broken, rocky ground) and "Combat Boots" (great for extended treks under a heavy pack) - well suited for strenuous outdoor activity, they tend to be lighter than the "Industrial" work/hike boots I favor, and they are available (though they're not cheap either) in women's sizes.

But for what you're proposing, littlek, that heavy-duty approach is overkill. Just don't go with sneakers.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:28 pm
I am borrowing my hosuemate's hiking boots. They are light-weight and hard soled. They are ankle high, which I don't care for, but they're really good boots. i wore them around today for several hours, trying different sock combos and finally adding an extra layer of footbed. I am bringing extra socks. The pack is around 11 pounds (so far).

Oh, if only I still had a pair of military jungle boots! Those rocked! Deep tread, mesh siding, light-weight..... ugly, but great boots.

I am packing a bag with almonds and dried cherries and craisins. A small thing of humus, one or two drinkable yogurts (no spoons!), a banana, some cheese, graham crackers (light!) and chips to eat the humus with. I have chocolate covered almonds too. I am packing protien and carbs. I added a little sport drink to 3 waters containers (about 2 liters total) and am bringing two juice boxes which I might leave in the car for the drive home.

Also, I have matches (in zip-locked bag with socks) and ridiculous things like nail clippers and tweezers (why?). I have purell hand cleaner and some baby wipes (hehehe). Sun block, wind/water jacket (also from housemate), a pair of board shorts (they're super-light - why not?)
Should I bring a sun hat for the long, high-ridge trail?

So...... I am coming down with the kids' cold. Am I insane to go through with plans to hike? Will the hike cure me?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:33 pm
If I were hiking anywhere in your zone - and there was a possibility of going through any brush, I'd be pulling out the LL Bean pants that are tight around the ankles - gotta watch out for those deer ticks.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:38 pm
Not to be overly silly here but bring a compass and a map of the area. And leave a copy of the map (marked with your planned route) plainly visable in the vehicle wherever you park it. Ya just never know...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:42 pm
Not so worried about Lyme disease.

fishin, I'd have to buy a compass...... maybe. I will be bringing a trail book with the hike listed. I will leave the sticky as a marker on the page of the hike we're hiking and leave that on the dash. I don't think we'll be taking a trail map...... ok, maybe. The person I'm going with has hiked the trail several times.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:43 pm
I don't like the cold business. If this is a stretch for you in normal circumstances, doing it while coming down with a cold seems like a bad idea.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:45 pm
*makes note that lil k needs a compass* Can't start the Xmas shopping lists to soon ya know! (I can't beleive you don't have one!)

Don't get seperated from your hiking companion if you are counting on them knowing the way. Wink

Good luck and have fun!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:46 pm
Well, "seems like a bad idea" is a bit strong. Just worries me a bit.

Fishin' reminds me, have a contingency plan! Even if you plan to stay close the whole time, things happen. So if you split up, what's the plan?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:48 pm
What could happen Soz? I will monitor my self and will return before reaching the peak if that is what has to happen.

I'll look to see where there's a map.
0 Replies