prosperity is just around the corner.

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:52 pm
Despite robust economic growth last year, 1.1 million more Americans slipped into poverty in 2004, while household incomes stagnated and earnings fell, the Census Bureau reported yesterday. The number of Americans without health insurance rose by 800,000, to 45.8 million.

The Census Bureau's annual report on income, poverty and health insurance sheds light on voter discontent with the economy in the face of seemingly strong economic data. The broad data draw a picture of a labor market still struggling to find its footing, three years after the 2001 recession.

"The poverty rate seems to be the last lonely lagging indicator of the business cycle," said E.R. Anderson, chief of staff in the Commerce Department's economic directorate, which oversees the Census Bureau.

The median household income stood at $44,389 last year, down slightly from the 2003 level of $44,482. But that level was propped up by more people going to work for lower earnings. A full-time male worker earned a median income of $40,798 last year, down $963 in inflation-adjusted dollars from 2003. Women's median earnings fell $327, to $31,223.

The poverty rate climbed in 2004 to 12.7 percent, from 12.5 percent in 2003 -- the fourth year in a row that poverty has risen. The increase was borne completely by non-Hispanic whites, the only ethnic group that saw its poverty rate rise. The percentage of whites in poverty rose from 8.2 percent in 2003 to 8.6 percent. African Americans saw no change in their poverty rate, which remained at 24.7 percent. The poverty rate for Hispanics remained at 21.9 percent, while Asian Americans' poverty levels dropped by two percentage points, to 9.8 percent.

The Midwest was the only region that saw both the poverty rate rise and median household income fall, a "double whammy," said Ron Haskins, a welfare economist at the Brookings Institution
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/30/AR2005083001727.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,195 • Replies: 23
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:02 pm
Re: prosperity is just around the corner.
dyslexia wrote:
Despite robust economic growth last year, 1.1 million more Americans slipped into poverty in 2004, while household incomes stagnated and earnings fell, the Census Bureau reported yesterday. The number of Americans without health insurance rose by 800,000, to 45.8 million.

The Census Bureau's annual report on income, poverty and health insurance sheds light on voter discontent with the economy in the face of seemingly strong economic data. The broad data draw a picture of a labor market still struggling to find its footing, three years after the 2001 recession.

"The poverty rate seems to be the last lonely lagging indicator of the business cycle," said E.R. Anderson, chief of staff in the Commerce Department's economic directorate, which oversees the Census Bureau.
.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:03 pm
Re: prosperity is just around the corner.
dyslexia wrote:

.html

Help a feller out with a translation? He seems to be saying that the only thing keeping us from being rich is poverty.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:06 pm
I also heard on NPR that the only group to see a gain in income were the 5% already at the top of the fiscal food chain. The rich get richer....

By the way - I am one of those people who can't afford health insurance and I own a profitable business.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:30 pm
Clinton . . .
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:35 pm
Roosevelt...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:02 pm
Theodore, Jr. or Franklin?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:57 am
W J
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:32 am
No bread? Let them eat cake.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
Theodore, Jr. or Franklin?

I liked both - Theodore for saving us some open space and Franklin for thinking out of the box.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:02 pm
BBB
bm
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
NY Times editorial

America's economic growth isn't what it used to be. In 2004, the economy grew a solid 3.8 percent. But for the fifth straight year, median household income was basically flat, at $44,389 in 2004, the Census Bureau said Tuesday. That's the longest stretch of income stagnation on record. 
Economic growth was also no elixir for the 800,000 additional workers who found themselves without health insurance in 2004. Were it not for increased coverage by military insurance and Medicaid, the ranks of the uninsured - now 45.8 million - would be even larger. And 1.1 million more people fell into poverty in 2004, bringing the ranks of poor Americans to 37 million. 
When President George W. Bush talks about the economy, he invariably boasts about good economic growth. But he doesn't acknowledge what is apparent from the census figures: As the very rich get even richer, their gains can mask the stagnation and deterioration at less lofty income levels. 
This week's census reports showed that income inequality was near all-time highs in 2004, with 50.1 percent of income going to the top 20 percent of households. And additional census data obtained by the Economic Policy Institute show that only the top 5 percent of households experienced average real income gains in 2004. Incomes for the other 95 percent of households were flat or falling. 
Income inequality is an economic and social ill, but the administration and the congressional majority don't seem to recognize that. When Congress returns from its monthlong summer vacation next week, two of the leadership's top priorities include renewing the push to repeal the estate tax, which affects only the wealthiest of families, and extending the tax cuts for investment income, which flow largely to the richest Americans. At the other end of the spectrum, lawmakers have stubbornly refused to raise the minimum wage: $5.15 an hour since 1997. They will also be taking up proposals for deep budget cuts in programs that ameliorate income inequality, like Medicaid, food stamps and federal student loans. 
They should be ashamed of themselves. 
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:07 am
This is sounding so much like another country I know very well. Used to be a good life for ordinary people. Sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:04 am
Still is for the rich - and there ARE more of them.

Ahhh - untrammeled capitalism.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:10 am
dlowan wrote:

Economic paradigm shift on the way?

Actually I think there is, sorry to answer my own question but it was somewhat rhetorical Very Happy

I shudder when I hear people in Australia talk about "market forces" being used to sort out issues such as water resources. I feel like choking the bastards to death actually. But that is a slight overreaction I'll grant you that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:15 am
Hmmm - I don't know if it is.

Cutting off some oxygen to the privatization fundy zealots on that one cannot do them any harm.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:27 am
goodfielder wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Economic paradigm shift on the way?

Hmm - I amn't holding my breath.

Interestingly, capitalism and the market became like a religious mantra for a while, didn't they?

"Trust in the market forces - 0 hosanna. The market knows. The market will cure cancer, end third world poverty, cure your piles, and make you wealthy."

There is no way but down from that irrational puffery - be nice to see a balanced sort of economic philosophy emerge - you know - "some things - but not all things - the market does well. There are other values to honour and competing imperatives."
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 05:40 am
lol - piles you say? I want to see an algorithm written for the relief of hemorhoids - could be a Nobel Prize for economics (either that or medicine) in that one.

The problem with the market is that these days it isn't so much the invisible hand as the invisible finger - and a lot of us are getting the latter.

While I have to admit that the market has done good I think it's time to wrest control back from it. Just as the totally planned comand economy went awry so has the totally unplanned market economy. It's been a long time since 1917. We have COMPUTERS! I think it's time we put the free market in the museum of human ideas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 05:46 am
There never was any such thing as a free market. If you evented a better sling ten thousand years ago, you can bet the tribe wasn't going to let you barter it away to strangers willy nilly.

Whether from market restriction, such as guilds anciently practiced, or the cronyism of cartels, there never has been any such thing as a "free market." It's a myth capitalists don't believe in themselves, but they certainly whine about it when it looks like anyone interferring in their greedy acquisitiveness.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:31 am
Setanta wrote:
There never was any such thing as a free market. If you evented a better sling ten thousand years ago, you can bet the tribe wasn't going to let you barter it away to strangers willy nilly.

Whether from market restriction, such as guilds anciently practiced, or the cronyism of cartels, there never has been any such thing as a "free market." It's a myth capitalists don't believe in themselves, but they certainly whine about it when it looks like anyone interferring in their greedy acquisitiveness.

True, there has never been a "pure" free market, but I tell ya the one that's been there since (theoretically) 1776 (The Wealth of Nations not the Declaration of Independence) needs some tweaking.
0 Replies