The best way to teach yourself French?

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 01:14 pm
Is there a shortlist of self-education books to be recommended?

Does listening to French audio while asleep really help?

What's the best way to go about teaching myself French (aside from actually moving to France)?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 358 • Replies: 2
No top replies

flushd

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:31 am
I've always believed the best way to learn a language is to be around people who speak it. Many say that this method is best for kids (little sponges) but getting plunged into the situation really helps.

My french is okay. I can understand it with no problems, but speaking it is another thing. However, when I'm around the fam. I can converse.

French has a lot of nuances and 'sayings' that you just can't learn in a book. Plus; you gotta think what KIND of french you wanna learn. France-french or Quebecois or other?

Then get yourself into situations where there are french people! Get a little handbook or whatever, and learn as you go. Try speaking as soon as possible, and find a reputable teacher to teach you grammar/writing. Learning on your own just isn't the best method, I feel.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:34 am
p.s.

I have found that listening to french t.v. and radio helps a lot. You can even have it on while you are doing the dishes or snoozing; and it will sink into your subsconscious. You still have to work to learn, but it helps. Read french newspapers and mags.

Again, I think this goes back to what I was saying about being plunged into the language. The more exposure you get to the living language, the better.
0 Replies