Exile Instead of Imprisonment

gollum

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 04:26 am
The Soviet Union used to punish people by sentencing them to live in Siberia. They would not have cars and could not walk out of Siberia.

I think it would be far more cost-effective for the U.S. to exile people rather than imprison them.

Do you agree? What other system would be more cost-effective than our present system?

cherrie

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 04:55 am
@gollum,

Where would you exile them to?
gollum

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 05:07 am
@cherrie,
Mabe a rural area of North Dakota
cherrie

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 06:00 am
@gollum,
And what would stop them leaving there?

I don't know much (anything) about North Dakota but I can't imagine that it's anything like Siberia.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 06:47 am
@gollum,
You're an idiot (and a likely psychopath). The Siberian gulags were work camps. They were prisons where they worked they population to death. If you didn't die from overworking, you'd die from malnourishment or abuse by the hands of the gulag prison staff.

And you don't think that someone desperate enough to be sent there? Still wouldn't try to return to civilization at all costs? Via bribery or just risking their lives by walking as far as they were capable?

And what part of exile to a gulag CANNOT BE CONSIDERED CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT? Ya know?!? Literally forbidden by the US Constitution?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 06:49 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Mabe a rural area of North Dakota

North Dakota ain't that large a state. For a desperate person? They could find a way to walk out of the exile zone (or at least die trying).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 06:50 am
@cherrie,
cherrie wrote:

And what would stop them leaving there?

I don't know much (anything) about North Dakota but I can't imagine that it's anything like Siberia.

You're right. Siberia = 5.058 million mi² vs North Dakota = 70,705 mi².
gollum

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 07:43 am
@tsarstepan,
How about Alaska?
RPhalange

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 08:10 am
@gollum,
How about "Palmyra Atoll"; I have read this is the most remote part of a US terrority? It currently has no permanent population and is it like 1,000 miles from Hawaii. Although researchers and nature scientists might object as they is what is currently being used for.

I did find this in Alaska that might work: "St. Matthew Island, located in the Bering Sea. It's over 300 kilometers from the nearest human settlement and requires a 24-hour ship ride to reach. " It is uninhabited so it might work and it'd be closer to Siberia; seeing it is that Palmyra Atoll would be much more pleasant to live on I'd vote for St. Matthew Island.

Another thought would be somewhere in the desert, but we would then likely have to supply them with water so I think St. Matthew Island.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 08:12 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

How about Alaska?

How about you actually learn a thing or two about the Siberian Gulags? The literal and wildly incorrect model of your whole thread? How about no to cruel and unusual punishment that's effectively torture and inevitable death sentence by slave labor?
RPhalange

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 08:13 am
@tsarstepan,
So this dude is serious? I just thought this was a joke so I gave him options. I guess that is fine, I doubt he has any control over that.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 08:14 am
@RPhalange,
RPhalange wrote:

So this dude is serious? I just thought this was a joke so I gave him options. I guess that is fine, I doubt he has any control over that.

Given the posting history here at a2k? I'm 90% certain he's serious.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 09:09 am
@gollum,
Siberia wasn't exile, it was prison. Exile would be to send someone out of the country with no possibility of return.
gollum

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 05:15 pm
@engineer,
Tsarstepan, I would not work people to death.

I live in New York City, where we have a prison named Rikers. At least a few have died there just in the last year. Maybe that is cruel and unusual punishment.

I would not have cruelty, torture, or slave labor.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 May, 2024 05:38 am
@gollum,
You would, you just wouldn't call it that and play ostrich.

That's a lot easier than dealing with the consequences of your crackpot ideas.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 May, 2024 05:59 am
@tsarstepan,
It's the leaps of logic that get me.

Gollum has started a threat about Putin locking up defence officials.

He respose is are US officials more honest or do they get away with it.

Huge assumptions here, primarily that the US and Russia are similar states which they're not.

Overall Gollum looks at a very complicated situation and gives simplistic uninformed responses.

They're clearly very ignorant, and given their responses so far I think they're quite stupid.

It's not just malice, although that may play a part.

I really think it's because they're quite dim.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 30 May, 2024 08:49 pm
1. Maybe, convicted felon Donald Trump could be exiled to Antartica.

2. Trump would have to hunt for his own food and live off the land.

3. Trump would have to live in an igloo for shelter.

4. No electricity.

5. Maybe once a month someone could be helicoptered in for brief conjugal visit.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 31 May, 2024 10:34 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I'm thinking the bright side of Mercury.

Quote:
5. Maybe once a month someone could be helicoptered in for brief conjugal visit.

That's cruel and unusual punishment for whomever has to make that trip.
Real Music

Reply Fri 31 May, 2024 07:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
1. Mercury's proximity is too close to Earth. Pluto would be much more fitting for Trump's exile.

2. I agree with you, That it would be cruel and unusual punishment for whomever has to make that trip to be intimate with Trump.

3. Who knows? Maybe being intimate with Trump is way worse than dealing with the rigid cold unforgiving weather.
0 Replies

steve reid

Reply Fri 31 May, 2024 08:01 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Right idea, wrong place, it's never good to dump trash in a pristine environment and it's not fair on the penguins

Give him a rowing boat and set him adrift in the middle of the great Pacific garbage patch
0 Replies