which religion is wrong?

Cicero The Orator

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:54 am
real life wrote:
Cicero The Orator wrote:
brahmin wrote:
""fundamental belief of being one with God""

means exactly what ??

Simplified; Christ preaches God in man, buddhist preaches we're all God. There's really very little difference.

Then you completely misunderstand the Christian view.

No. I believe the catholics misunderstood the christian view. Tremendously. They bought Constantines politics too blindly.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:41 pm
Frank, I agree with you once again.

However; I'm always trying to get to the meat of why people would 'choose' specific gods (?!). It seems to me that certain gods serve certain functions for people.
I was just pointing out that the singular gods (such as The God with a capital G that christians claim as theirr own) all have a root reason for their 'existence'. They start off with an idea that human beings are basically sh*t and not good enough. It is truly a twisted idea; and I think it deserves more attention.

Other peoples ideas of gods (for example, the People of the Deer) is very different; and serves a completely different purpose. Their gods are everywhere, plentiful, and able to be hurt/influenced by humans. They do not engrain the idea that people are born into a state of lacking. The gods lavish upon all of creation equally: humans are not superior nor sh*t.

I find it petty to fight over whose god is superior, or saying "oh the catholic idea of god is alll wrong". That is like comparing packages in the locker room.
" My penis (god) is bigger, more viriile, better than yours! "
" Don't agree?! Well, let me prove how manly I am by beating the piss out of you (destroying other cultures and peoples).

thanks
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:02 am
Cicero The Orator wrote:
real life wrote:
Cicero The Orator wrote:
brahmin wrote:
""fundamental belief of being one with God""

means exactly what ??

Simplified; Christ preaches God in man, buddhist preaches we're all God. There's really very little difference.

Then you completely misunderstand the Christian view.

No. I believe the catholics misunderstood the christian view. Tremendously. They bought Constantines politics too blindly.

What does that have to do with trying to equate Christianity and Buddhism?
0 Replies

Cicero The Orator

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:17 am
real life wrote:

A lot since catholicism has been the major christian influence over the years.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:44 pm
Cicero The Orator wrote:
real life wrote:

A lot since catholicism has been the major christian influence over the years.

Did you miss the Reformation?

Even that aside, Catholicism does NOT teach "we're all God" in any way, shape or form that even resembles Buddhism. Your attempt to equate the two is completely off the mark.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 02:15 pm
Hi Real Life,

Nice to see you.

Boy, this is an, well, I was going to say interesting thread but that's not the correct word.

My take, for what it is worth, is there is a God and I know in my heart there is. It's not a guess to me, it's a given.

I think that most everyone that believes and follows a certain faith or religion probably believes that their religion is the right one. If they didn't believe that, why chose it?

The most important thing for anyone to remember is we all have the right to choose for ourselves what is right for us. God has laid down His laws and what He says we must believe for salvation. It is up to us whether to accept this or not. I for one, chose to accept and believe it.

Unfortunately, the problem that seems to always arise is when one believes and then demands that someone else must believe the exact same thing in order to go to heaven. I do not believe there is one person in this world that does not at least have one question about something in their religion. So, it's up to us individually to decide which is best for us. I prefer to keep it as simple as possible. I believe Christ died on the Cross for the forgiveness of sins and I do my best to follow His teachings. One of those teachings is if someone does not agree with you or they get angry with you about what you believe, you drop it. You don't try to force it. That, in itself, will force someone further from God. I do not agree with every form of religion but I do agree and believe others have the right to believe what God gave them the free will to decide upon.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 03:19 am
Momma Angel wrote:

My take, for what it is worth, is there is a God and I know in my heart there is.

Humans NEVER "know anything in their hearts."

In fact, the expression actually is an acknowledgement that they do not KNOW whatever it is they claim to "know in their heart"...but that they are unwilling, for whatever reason, to even acknowledge that they do not know.

Quote:
It's not a guess to me, it's a given.

And people who do not know a thing...but who claim they "know it in their heart"...(which of course means they do not KNOW it at all)...absolutely will INSIST they know it (that it is a "given")...and that they are not making a guess.

That is why I mention that in a religious context...people make guresses and disguise the fact that they are guesses by calling them "beliefs"...and then get all stone-headed about it, but saying they have "faith"...which is little more than insisting that their guesses are more than guesses.

Quote:
The most important thing for anyone to remember is we all have the right to choose for ourselves what is right for us.

Okay...I can agree with this.

Quote:
God has laid down His laws and what He says we must believe for salvation.

Interesting guess...but certainly not the guess I would make. But I have not problem with you making this guess.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 08:58 am
Good Morning to you too, Frank! Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:43 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Good Morning to you too, Frank! Laughing

Morning, MA. Hope all is almost back to normal in Louisiana. :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:54 am
We are getting there. Trying to find homes for the evacuees right now. The country has been so wonderful in helping these people. It is so wonderful to see us all unite for the common good!

I guess you heard that Bourbon Street is already opened up? Amazing.
0 Replies