which religion is wrong?

Cicero The Orator

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:16 pm
au1929 wrote:
Ray
What do I mean you ask. The foolishness of people who can't recognize a hoax when they encounter one and choose to believe in and worship at the shrine of a fairy tale.

I somehow agree with you in the pure statement. The fools are the ones who believes Jesus actually walked on water, or those who still eat kosher even after the invention of the refigerator. There is a thought process involved when reading a religious scripture from hundreds of years before our time which 95 % of all theists ignore or don't know exist. Like the way the Bible is written in metaphors, and that those fairy tales you talk of have symbolical meanings rather than factual.

Briefly, religion today is tainted by shallowness. People are too uninterested and too stupid to get what it's really all about. The words of Jesus is lost in a faulty expression of God. That is why I have such great respect for Islam. And Buddhism. And if you can't see that, you're just as good as those you criticize.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:36 pm
What makes you think Islam is any more believable than the rest. It is all a crock of -----
0 Replies

Cicero The Orator

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:38 pm
au1929 wrote:
What makes you think Islam is any more believable than the rest. It is all a crock of -----

Did I ever say islam was more believable than whatever you cram together as "the rest"?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:41 pm
When you've been taught that Jesus did walk on water since you were a child, you would probably believed it for a long time. It does not mean you are foolish. It might be possible for someone divine to have existed, but it's not probable and those who believed it probably do because those around them have emphasized that they know that it really happened.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:48 pm
Cicero The Orator wrote
Quote:
That is why I have such great respect for Islam. And Buddhism. And if you can't see that, you're just as good as those you criticize.

Why than the alleged respect for Islam.It has the same slippery underfooting as any other religion. Some ones pipe dream
0 Replies

Cicero The Orator

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:58 pm
au1929 wrote:
Cicero The Orator wrote
Quote:
That is why I have such great respect for Islam. And Buddhism. And if you can't see that, you're just as good as those you criticize.

Why than the alleged respect for Islam.It has the same slippery underfooting as any other religion. Some ones pipe dream

I have respect for islam for the way it consciously tries to avoid misunderstandings and the wrong conceptions of the true muslim faith. The islamic literature is way beyond that of any other religion, and questions about the Koran is constantly being brought up for investigation and evaluation at all kinds of different islamic councils of elders. Obviously, it still has flaws, and will as long as people are ignorant by nature.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:10 am
Cicero The Orator wrote:
That is why I have such great respect for Islam. And Buddhism.

wow !!

first time i saw anyone who thinks these two religions have anything in common.
0 Replies

Cicero The Orator

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 05:06 am
brahmin wrote:
Cicero The Orator wrote:
That is why I have such great respect for Islam. And Buddhism.

wow !!

first time i saw anyone who thinks these two religions have anything in common.

Well, the abrahimic religions have more in common with buddhism than what people seem to think. ;-)
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:32 am
like what ??
0 Replies

Cicero The Orator

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:54 am
brahmin wrote:
like what ??

Like the fundamental belief of being one with God, which is the essence in all of them. The difference lies in how they define it.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:20 am
""fundamental belief of being one with God""

means exactly what ??
0 Replies

Cicero The Orator

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:53 pm
brahmin wrote:

means exactly what ??

Simplified; Christ preaches God in man, buddhist preaches we're all God. There's really very little difference.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:57 pm
islam doesnt preach god in man.
and nor does judaism.
& i am not so sure that the religion that holds everyone to be a sinner to some or the other extent, preaches "god in man"

also, the buddha didnt pluck that preaching out of his own head.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:20 pm
Cicero, you're a pantheist. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:11 pm
Which religion is wrong?

Every mother's son of 'em . . .
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:31 pm
and you are an atheist. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:02 am
As defined by others, yeah . . .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:36 pm
Cicero The Orator wrote:
brahmin wrote:

means exactly what ??

Simplified; Christ preaches God in man, buddhist preaches we're all God. There's really very little difference.

Then you completely misunderstand the Christian view.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:45 pm
I've always found the link between Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam (and some others) to be : an idea of salvation and a way out of the suffering state (or from being born a sinner etc).

Christianity teaches that the way is allowing Jesus into your heart in order to know God; Buddhism teaches that is the individual who must struggle to find the way out of suffering...

(All three teach that man is born into a state that is not 'perfect' or 'good-enough'. We have to work at being fully human. )

There are tonnes more links, but I just wanted to mention that. I felt like I knew where the Orator was coming from, in a way.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:17 am
Too bad all these "religions" don't teach what appears most likely to be "true"....

...which of course is that we do not know if there is a God.

If the best we can do is to guess about that (based on almost no unambiguous evidence)...

...going the steps further that involve describing what the God is like; what pleases or offends the God; what the God expects of humans; and whether or not we are part of It or It is part of us....

...makes no sense at all.
0 Replies