which religion is wrong?

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:19 am
ebrown_p wrote:
So who are we left with then? Actually the UUs seem pretty harmless, if a bit confused.

Laughing Yup, we pride ourselves on harmless and confused. Both are explicitly called for in our Principles.

Harmless: "The inherent worth and dignity of every person; Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations; Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations; The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all; Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part."

Confused: "A free and responsible search for truth and meaning." - You're never expected to actually find Truth - just search for it. Smile
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:38 am
Religion is the opiate of the masses. One which the population of the world has overdosed upon from the moment they emerged out of the primordial mist.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:54 am
Quote:
Religion is the opiate of the masses.

au- Sad, but true. The problem is, that without religion, some of those masses would run completely wild.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:03 am
Phoenix32890 wrote
Quote:
au- Sad, but true. The problem is, that without religion, some of those masses would run completely wild.

And with religion the running wild is organized and more dangerous and destructive. Is that any better?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:08 am
Au- Probably not. Hey, as much as we may not like it, it IS their right.
0 Replies

logicalunit42

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:58 am
also, there are different views within each religion. if they each think the other religion is wrong, then they think their own religion is wrong too, since they don't agree 100% with everything in their own religion.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:05 am
logicalunit42
People do not see the faults in their own religion, which they follow like lemmings. Only in those of other religions.
Religion and prejudice go hand in hand.
0 Replies

logicalunit42

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:27 am
au1929 wrote:
logicalunit42
People do not see the faults in their own religion, which they follow like lemmings. Only in those of other religions.

they do? then why does any christian have non childbearing sex? didn't jesus say no sex unless its for a child? thats one example of an infinite i can think of...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 11:38 am
I am certainly not making a judgement, but only an observation. I look at the title of this thread...

I look at the content of the thread. I consider tolerance which should be a high priority for those that possess faith.

I look at the comments on the past few pages.

I do not believe that an answer will be arrived at and both the believers and non-believers will leave in a state of confusion. Many make look back and wonder why they entered the thread in the first place.

On the other hand, it may prompt some to look into themselves and change their manner of exchange.

As I said, I am not making any judgements. I include myself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 11:50 am
logicalunit42 wrote:
au1929 wrote:
logicalunit42

they do? then why does any christian have non childbearing sex? didn't jesus say no sex unless its for a child? thats one example of an infinite i can think of...

This seems a nonsensical post. You might want to explain yourself here. Otherwise, one is left to wonder how AU's contention that religion and prejudice go hand in hand leads you to make statement about sex which is not for procreative purposes. I'm not a biblical scholar, although i have thoroughly studied the history of the bible and its origins; i have read both the "old" and "new testaments" in their entirety, more than once. I don't recall anywhere that "Jesus said" no sex unless it's for a child. Even if you could provide such a citation, what possible bearing would that have on whether or not prejudice and religion go hand in hand? Also, this sentence fragment: "thats one example of an infinite i can think of" makes little sense. That's an example of an infinite what? Do you perhaps mean an absolute? If so, you are once again faced with the necessity of citing some scripture, any scripture, in which it is alledged that Jesus said what you claim.

AU's statement about religion and prejudice does have a sound logical basis. Adherence to religious dogma requires the adherent to accept a contention that the religion in question is the absolutely truthful creed. By inference, any other religion is therefore false. Given that circumstance, the adherent would judge in advance of an acquaintance that anyone professing a different religion is in error, hence the adherent displays prejudice.
0 Replies

logicalunit42

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
logicalunit42 wrote:
au1929 wrote:
logicalunit42

This seems a nonsensical post. You might want to explain yourself here. Otherwise, one is left to wonder how AU's contention that religion and prejudice go hand in hand leads you to make statement about sex which is not for procreative purposes. I'm not a biblical scholar, although i have thoroughly studied the history of the bible and its origins; i have read both the "old" and "new testaments" in their entirety, more than once. I don't recall anywhere that "Jesus said" no sex unless it's for a child. Even if you could provide such a citation, what possible bearing would that have on whether or not prejudice and religion go hand in hand? Also, this sentence fragment: "thats one example of an infinite i can think of" makes little sense. That's an example of an infinite what? Do you perhaps mean an absolute? If so, you are once again faced with the necessity of citing some scripture, any scripture, in which it is alledged that Jesus said what you claim.

AU's statement about religion and prejudice does have a sound logical basis. Adherence to religious dogma requires the adherent to accept a contention that the religion in question is the absolutely truthful creed. By inference, any other religion is therefore false. Given that circumstance, the adherent would judge in advance of an acquaintance that anyone professing a different religion is in error, hence the adherent displays prejudice.

people don't follow their religion all the time. what do you think people do in confession? its obvious they don't believe in their own religions. its just a matter of degree how much they believe in their religino, and how much that belief can be transfered to any other one. thus there is no absolute "wrong" or "right" religion, as each one is made up of hundreds or thousands of rules of dogma which no single person in the religion believes in each one, obviously.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:13 pm
That's not an answer to why you posited some rather bizarre contention about Jesus prohibiting sex which is not for procreative purposes.

It is also not an answer to AU's contention about prejudice and religion, unless you mean to stipulate that people willfully adhere to a religion which they do not believe is the absolutely truthful creed. In which case, we have left the realm of the absurd for the realm of the sublimely absurd.
0 Replies

logicalunit42

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
That's not an answer to why you posited some rather bizarre contention about Jesus prohibiting sex which is not for procreative purposes.

It is also not answer to AU's contention about prejudice and religion, unless you mean to stipulate that people willfully adhere to a religion which they do not believe is the absolutely truthful creed. In which case, we have left the realm of the absurd for the realm of the sublimely absurd.

have you heard of confession? each religion says not to do certain things. if people believed in their religion, then they wouldn't do those things - thus since so many go to confession, they don't - that seems pretty logical and straightforward to me
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:22 pm
logicalunit42 wrote:
have you heard of confession? each religion says not to do certain things. if people believed in their religion, then they wouldn't do those things - thus since so many go to confession, they don't - that seems pretty logical and straightforward to me

The absurdity of what you write is almost enough to lead me to abandon the effort of communicating with you--the snotty tone will clinch the deal, however, so i advise you to drop it. Have you not ever heard the sanctimonious expression "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak?" Your entire thesis hear ignores or denies the concept of sin and redemption.

This also does not address the issue of why people espouse any particular creed. Once again, people adhere to a religion in the belief that it is the absolutely truthful creed, and therefore are disposed to prejudice with regard to those who profess a different, or profess no creed. Their relative merit in living up to the standards of the professed creed has absolutely no bearing on this.
0 Replies

logicalunit42

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:28 pm
Setanta wrote:
logicalunit42 wrote:

The absurdity of what you write is almost enough to lead me to abandon the effort of communicating with you--the snotty tone will clinch the deal, however, so i advise you to drop it. Have you not ever heard the sanctimonious expression "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak?" Your entire thesis hear ignores or denies the concept of sin and redemption.

This also does not address the issue of why people espouse any particular creed. Once again, people adhere to a religion in the belief that it is the absolutely truthful creed, and therefore are disposed to prejudice with regard to those who profess a different, or profess no creed. Their relative merit in living up to the standards of the professed creed has absolutely no bearing on this.

then they don't believe it. if they believed it like you siad, they would do it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:28 pm
Intrepid wrote:

On the other hand, it may prompt some to look into themselves and change their manner of exchange.

Observation noted. :wink:

I will change my manner of exchange when others are held accountable for theirs.

Perhaps I didn't express my apology to the extent a certain poster was looking for but I did acknowledge my bad attitude and was rewarded with and insult. Intrepid, I know what you are getting at but it seems that no one wants an honest opinion around here. I take the criticism as well as I give it. It might make me angry but I expect it.

And as for your comment on tolerance... Tolerance is a wonderful thing until you get someone who abuses your patience and deliberately provokes and insults you. Then I challenge anyone to remain tolerant. It isn't easy for a believer or non believer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:31 pm
Well, the self-styled "logicalunit" has demonsrated that he/she/it is neither logical nor particularly civil. That member fails to consistently post coherent sentences and in fact seems immune to logic.

I'm outta here . . .
0 Replies

logicalunit42

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:41 pm
bye
0 Replies

logicalunit42

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:42 pm
also how is this thread any different from the 300 page which is the one true religion thread?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 01:14 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Observation noted. :wink:

I will change my manner of exchange when others are held accountable for theirs.

Perhaps I didn't express my apology to the extent a certain poster was looking for but I did acknowledge my bad attitude and was rewarded with and insult. Intrepid, I know what you are getting at but it seems that no one wants an honest opinion around here. I take the criticism as well as I give it. It might make me angry but I expect it.

And as for your comment on tolerance... Tolerance is a wonderful thing until you get someone who abuses your patience and deliberately provokes and insults you. Then I challenge anyone to remain tolerant. It isn't easy for a believer or non believer.

Nobody said it would be easy. I know exactly what you are saying and do not deny how difficult it can be. I have been there, done that. Those who can maintain their tolerance wins. Oh, they may not appear to win the particular incident that is occuring at the moment, but in the end...they win.

If we do not want to be part of the wrong it should begin with us. The road to salvation begins with ME. The one who must change is ME. The only who can control the situation is ME. These are the situations when it is ok to be all about ME.

Backing away from something takes a bigger man/woman than the one who stays and later is mad at themself. We could call the other person an idiot, or we could call ourself an idiot for following in their ways instead of our own.

Have a GREAT rest of the day. :-)
0 Replies