Severe Shoulder Pain....HELP!!!

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:39 pm
Hi, since bout a year after I started secondary school I've been getting this shoulder pain. I think it was started by carrying my school bag.
Now I have reached my last year at 2ndry school and my shoulder pain's become really severe. I only get it when I've been carrying a bag (not neccessarily heavy), or am stressed etc. I've been to the drs and got prescribed this cream 'Movelat' bout 1 2 2 years ago. It didn't have any effect, so after my mum not booking me an appointment for AGES Mad she finally did and I got an appointment to c a physiotherapist...

now I went to physio appoint bout 6 weeks ago and the stupid cow didn't seem to believe I actually had anything wrong, or expreienced pain. I hurt my back/shoulder on trampoline bout three to four weeks b4 and, then, my dr said I had tenderthingy or something like that!...? So physio did all the arm movement things to see if I got pain that's usually connected to tenderthingy and I din't have it then, it doesn't usually hurt from moving my arm anyway...

I just really need some sort of advice, has anyone else experienced something like this? Or does anyone know any way I could help it?

Thanks...

Honey_rose_cr
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,377 • Replies: 12
No top replies

barefootTia

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:38 pm
I developed shoulder pain from carrying a large purse/book bag, that sustained over a period of approximately six months, but not severe enough to need medication. One of my doctor's main suggestions, aside from putting an end to carrying heavy weight, was to buy a new bed pillow. I was really surprised at how much it actually helped to alleviate the discomfort and pain.

Don't really have any advice to offer, just trying to help. I hope you find some answers.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:52 pm
Years of landscaping, including plenty of stonescaping, has left me with permanent shoulder and collarbone pain. Tia is correct that a proper pillow can really help. I sleep with a large firm pillow that actually puts my upper body higher than my hips.

When my pain is really bad I cannot raise my arms high enough to french braid my hair and I learned an exercise that helps: Stand in a corner of a room, face into the corner, brace your hands on opposite sides of the corner, palms flat on the walls, slowly arch in your back, butt out and press your chest into the corner where the walls meet. Your chest does not touch the walls, you just lean into the place where the walls meet. Hold, straighten and push forward again. If I do this for a couple of minutes it seems to put whatever is out of wack back into place.

The fact that you fell off a trampoline might mean you fractured something. but you would need an x-ray to confirm that.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:18 pm
Thanks, I have been looking for a new foamy mattress and supporty pillow, but my mum said she'd buy me one...but that was about two months ago and the dehumidifier to get the damp outa my room was 4 months ago and the heater for the freezing cold winters was bout year and half ago....empty promises, lies so many LIES!!!!!
Anyway, I can't really stop carrying my bag, my history file and bout 3 or 4 heavy books really kill my shoulder, then if I try to leave a couple at home my crazy history teacher has a go...I can't win...

No, I'm all better now after the trampoline incident...the most recent one that is....it's just this shoulder pain. First my dr prescribed me 84 ibuprofen, to burn my stomach lining away, and help with the pain of course. The my physio said 'Stop taking the ibuprofen, that won't help.' God, what does SHE know? Stupid cow. Anyway, I'll try that exercise Green Witch, see if it helps...thanks for your advice guys!! Very Happy

Honey_rose_cr

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:39 pm
I hurt my right shoulder and wrist slipping on the floor of a restaurant as we were being led to the table. No we were not in the bar first. It took a while but the shoulder has been giving me a lot of trouble and it has been about 8 months since the accident. The thing that helps me out is exercise with light (5 lb) free weights. I checked with my doctor first, because I didn't want to compound the injury. Tlhe doctor told me that a painful muscle is a weak muscle and apparently she was right. I took a class and also got a dvd called "weights for dummies". It's not too strenuous but it does strenthen the muscle.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:40 pm
I hurt my right shoulder and wrist slipping on the floor of a restaurant as we were being led to the table. No we were not in the bar first. It took a while but the shoulder has been giving me a lot of trouble and it has been about 8 months since the accident. The thing that helps me out is exercise with light (5 lb) free weights. I checked with my doctor first, because I didn't want to compound the injury. Tlhe doctor told me that a painful muscle is a weak muscle and apparently she was right. I took a class and also got a dvd called "weights for dummies". It's not too strenuous but it does strenthen the muscle.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 04:19 pm
Perhaps you have tendinitis near the armpits (feels like shoulder pain). If you get it scanned by ultrasound, a doctor may find the culprit, and prescribe what's needed.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 12:57 pm
Mmmm. Glitterbag....did you sue?!
Yeah, I was thinking ultrasound-wise coz that would also break up any calcium deposits and get the blood flowing better... Thing is, I've started getting this different pain now, it's sorta moving round, so sometimes I get pain at the front of my shoulder and it's more...I dunno, maybe muted, but still as painful, if you know what I mean, less sharp... I'm a bit worried that it's getting worse...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:11 pm
No honey, I didn't sue. It's a big pain in the butt to sue someone. Besides, what I do is worse. I tell everybody in the area about the incident and let them decide if they want to take a chance in high heels on a too-slick floor.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 03:45 am
Mmm I'd say that's pretty reasonable...!...I've come off milk and dairy stuff now coz of suspected lactose intolerance.....it's a pain in the a**...but my shoulder pain has mysteriously gone away...it does come back occasionaly when I'm really stressed out...but only mildly and only for a little while....Touch wood....!....but anyway...yeah...blah blah blah...

Honey_rose_cr
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 09:51 am
Start carrying your bag in your arms like a baby or get one of those bags that are more like suitcases. Just don't carry it on your shoulder anymore! You gotta prevent more pain from coming on.

Start swimming. Great exercise.

I worked in homecare for many years. I'm a little woman and I hurt my shoulder very badly at one point. I was lifting people around all day. I learnt the hard way what the human shoulder is capable of and what it is not.

All medicines and exercises and beds won't help if you keep aggrivating the area. You gotta rest it up and take care of yourself. Bottom line.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:09 pm
Wear a backpack type of purse; they make plenty of them in various styles. It has helped my shoulder a lot. When I do get a flareup (usually from typing on this thing too much!) I go to an acupuncturist - they work wonders! Also, as flushd suggested, swimming- or kayaking, if you live near the water - helps immensely. Good luck.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:52 pm
I wouldn't of thought Kayaking would help, I really enjoy Kayaking when I can go, haven't been recently...Thx for your advice guys...my shoulder pain still hasn't come back as bad since I've been cutting out lactosey things....it's great!! Except I can't have ice-cream.... :5(
I woz wondering bout acupuncture...I don't think I could handle it though..I got really queasy taking out my new earrings!!!
I've been to hospital now and talked to a Dr who actaully listened and did something about it...I'm on a 6 MONTH waiting list for an MRI scan and a 6 week waiting list for physio...hopefully get it sorted out for good!!
0 Replies