Literary gems and coal yard!

Vermont

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
1. What does 'to furnish the literary gems' mean?

(They asked long lists of questions, numerically arranged, about the climate, products, possibilities, laws, business chances, and statistics of the country in which the consul had the honor of representing his own government.
"Write 'em, please, Billy," said that inert official, "just a line, referring them to the latest consular report. Tell 'em the State Department will be delighted to furnish the literary gems. Sign my name. Don't let your pen scratch, Billy; it'll keep me awake.")

2. What is 'coal yard'?

(Besides the want above mentioned, there is also a crying need for a brewery, a college of higher mathematics, a coal yard, and a clean and intellectual Punch and Judy show.)

Thanx!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 440 • Replies: 1
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:47 pm
"to furnish the literary gems" = provide the information. But it is somewhat sarcastic, as a recital of statistics is the opposite of a literary gem. ("literary gem" = very good writing)

I believe a coal yard is part of a railway system. The coal cars are filled there.
0 Replies