So much for freedom of speech.

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:47 pm
Pueo
I agree that they shouldn't have said anything in the first place.
0 Replies

owi

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 02:18 am
freedom of speech...as long you say what we like to hear
What kind of perverted freedom is it when you get fired for telling your opinion (or the truth?!?). This happened when Peter Arnett was fired by NBC for telling, that the conflict was not going to plan because of fierce resistance. Peter arnett is fortunate that he is a prominent reporter and got a job at "Daily Mirror" at once after he was fired. He can afford reporting about those things he sees. But what about all those rather unknown journalists, artists and other people who have another opinion too? They have to risk their jobs when telling their opinion. They have to consider twice if they should tell their point of view. For me this smells like censorship.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 02:25 am
owi
I agree, but in this case the Dixie Chicks are just banned by many radio stations, so it is kind of like being fired, but not at the same time. It will surely hurt their careers.

Welcome to A2K :-D
0 Replies

owi

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 02:30 am
therefor i just said: "risk their jobs"
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 02:37 am
a peter arnett thread can be found here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5824&highlight=
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 02:41 am
owi
I agree.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 02:42 am
If worse comes to worse, they're always welcome here in Canada :-D
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 03:19 am
Political asylum in Canada!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 10:48 am
Sounds like a repeat of the Viet Nam war. c.i.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 05:44 am
Frolic
Love your new avatar, LOL!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 05:47 am
CI
It sure does, but I hope the soldiers are treated with respect when they come back home this time.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 05:49 am
Perfect description isn't it?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 05:50 am
It really is. Sad, but true!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 07:32 am
Anyone who would treat returning troops with disrespect -- no matter how much they despised the war in which they participated -- is a goddam jerk.

I hate the idea that we are over there -- I think the motives of the Bush administration stink.

But when these folks come home from having done their jobs -- they should have the respect of everyone.

BTW -- although I hate this war and consider it contrived and unnecessary -- the people fighting it have my respect. They took an oath when they enlisted to fight when told to do so. It is their job. And I can admire and acknowledge the way they are doing it without compromising my great anger towards the politicians who started it.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:22 am
Frank
I agree 100%!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:28 am
ditto that frank Exclamation
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 07:56 am
I'm not too surprised about the backlash against them. First, the Dixie Chicks are glamorous, and very mainstream. Had they been more along the vein of a Michael Moore, where they made political statements from the start, the general listening audience of patriotic 'Mericans would've never bought their stuff.

Apologizing was wimpy. Her anti-warBush comment was sincere, but her choice of audience to verbalize this sentiment was a poor choice. For example, I would never stand before the National Rifle Association and tell them I think Charlton Heston doesn't know what he's talking about.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 10:33 am
Frank, ditto for me too. c.i.
0 Replies