So much for freedom of speech.

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:31 pm
Radio stations nation wide are banning playing the Dixie Chicks because of a comment they made towards Bush even after they apologized. I am furious to say the least that these three talented women are being punished for exercising their constitutional and civil rights. It's ok for Bush to make constant threats towards other countries, go in there and kill innocent people including women and children and get away with it, but the Dixie Chicks get a swift kick in their career for a simple comment!

Here's the story http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/news/0303/17dixie.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,542 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:37 pm
Gezzy- Freedom of Speech has to do with government, not private, control of speech. If the people who run the radio stations choose to ban the Dixie Chicks it is their right, as a private entity.

Radio Stations are there to make money. If they believe that a certain personality, or group, is going to impact adversely on their bottom line, they are within their rights not to play those person's songs.

For some reason, many people become confused about the concept of freedom of speech. Here it is, right from the horse's mouth- the American Bill of Rights

Quote:
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:40 pm
Hi Gezzy!

As soon as I heard about what was happening, I went to Amazon.com and ordered all three of their CDs and told my friends and family to do the same. Apparently a lot of people who believe in freedom of speech are doing this. I don't have a link to an article that I read that names the Chicks and other musicians that have spoken out against the war. I think the website is: Artistsagainstthewar or something similar. Cheryl Crowe is one that I remember...and Emmylou Harris is another. Tell all your friends to buy the Chicks CDs! They are talented and beautiful!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:53 pm
too bad I disliked the Dixie Chicks before the hubbabaloo and too bad I'm broke or I'd buy one anyway....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:57 pm
Total BS, isn't it? I don't even like country music, but if she hadn't buckled and apologized, I would have bought a CD myself!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:57 pm
Phoenix
You got me there. I should have thought it through better before I posted instead of jumping in the heat of the moment. I just found out about this and I truly feel for the Chicks. Thanks for setting me strait ;-)

Vietnamnurse
You go girl!!!! You bet that I'm telling all my family and friends and you'll be happy to know that my local radio stations here in Canada are playing lots more Dixie Chicks these days to help them out. I already have all their CD's, but spreading the word always helps. You're right! Those girls are very talented and beautiful ;-)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:00 pm
Littlek
Thanks for the thought anyway ;-)

Snood
Oh come on, buy one! They only apologized because their career is at stake. Be a sport. Their new "Home" CD is the best one in my opinion ;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:04 pm
The final straw was when they did a cover of landslide and never credited fleetwood mac or stevie knicks. Even if they bought the rights or the song itself, they should have credited them. I think.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:08 pm
I didn't know that. I love them anyways ;-)
0 Replies

Ketamine

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:11 pm
I think that more Dead Kennedys should be played in the current client. California Uber Alles.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:16 pm
littlek - wheredja get the idea that the Chicks didn't credit the author of Landslide? It's on the liner notes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:18 pm
All you Dixie Chicks afficionados- www.amazon.com has a lot of their CDs. If you go to the "Control Panel" of A2K, you will find a link to Amazon. If you go through this link, it won't cost you one cent more than if you went directly to the site, and A2K will get credit for the sale. The monies from that credit will go to maintaining site expenses.

While I am doing this shameless commercial- my son told me that he often buys obscure CDs through www.amazon.co.uk (link is also on the Control Panel). He said that the Amazon in the UK often carries CDs that the American Amazon doesn't!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:18 pm
I have to rescind my previous statement that I don't like country - that's only partially true... I dislike about 85% of it. Is that true about "Landslide"? I mean, its so much like Stevie Nicks' version, I can't believe they didn't give credit.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:19 pm
Beth
That's what I thought. I knew I saw it somewhere.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:23 pm
Snood
I believe they did!

Phoenix
Thanks for the site :-)
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:25 pm
these celebrity types <both con/lib> are always good for a laugh. when celebrities express an opinion, they seem to expect the public to eat up their words as if it were mana falling from the heavens. to my humble ears it seems like we are being talked down to, that we must listen to them because they're celebrities dammit, and as such are much more wordly and wise than we ordinary folk. the shock they express when they find ordinary folk not agreeing with their wisdom is sad and funny at the same time.

and like snood, i would have respected their opinions more if they had not apologized for what they said. take your lumps and continue on. as a public person, one should recognize the downside of expressing a personal opinion.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:33 pm
Pueo
I honestly don't think they look down on people. They just said what they thought and didn't expect what happened. The only reason they apologized is because they have to worry about their career. Granted, she shouldn't have said anything at all simply because they are in the public eye, but people do make mistakes and we are all only human.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:35 pm
excuse me, pardon me.... I was talking about the video..... so sorry not to have mentioned that little tidbit previously.

Now, I LOOOOVE Lucinda Williams.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:35 pm
didn't mean the dixie chicks specifically, just celebrity types in general.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:43 pm
gezzy wrote:
Pueo
I honestly don't think they look down on people. They just said what they thought and didn't expect what happened. The only reason they apologized is because they have to worry about their career. Granted, she shouldn't have said anything at all simply because they are in the public eye, but people do make mistakes and we are all only human.

gezzy, i you hit it right there, why i find this whole thing disingenuous. either they believed in what they said and stand by it, damn the apology regardless of their careers. or was this a publicity ploy that went awry?
0 Replies