Poll: Did you get to see the April 8, 2024 solar eclipse?

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2024 08:45 pm
Hi. As of the time of the making of this post it's April 8, 2024 and over the past couple of weeks prior to this date the media and the press had made a big issue over it. It's been a hot topic for a while; the internet kept going on about it.

I got to see the solar eclipse at my nearby local library today. Unfortunately the library was out of the special glasses required to see it in person. I got to watch the eclipse on a library monitor in the library.

I'm happy I got to see it. There won't be another solar eclipse till 2044.

People have probably uploaded videos of the eclipse to YouTube.

I've heard about blood moon and super blood moon sightings that transpired over the past few years. I'd like to see one in person.

I'd like to see a lunar eclipse in person too.

What about you? Did you get to see the solar eclipse everyone was talking about?

Please respond soon. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 390 • Replies: 10
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2024 11:42 pm
There was a solar eclipse back in 2017:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_August_21,_2017#:~:text=The%20solar%20eclipse%20of%20August,Pacific%20to%20the%20Atlantic%20coasts.

Why did the April 8, 2024 one get far more attention?

I don't even remember the one from 2017.

There were a bunch of safety advisories about the April 8, 2024 eclipse online and in local newspapers. I presume there were a bunch on TV too.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 12:20 am
I watched the changes from the interior of the house and when I went outside I didn't try to look at the eclipse. What I liked was the change of light, and the odd (but still normal) colors of all the grass, the plants and shrubs ......it was so pretty. The squirrels seemed confused, but you never really know what the squirrels are up to. My dog decided it was getting dark and jumped on my bed, she figured it would be an early evening. Surprisingly , when the lights brightened up all the insects, birds, bunnies, but squirrels,tried to reclaim their territories....Never turn your backs on the squirrels, those funny creatures are everywhere, dogs can't catch them, nut big squirrel catches everything. But come on, the squirrels keep all the community entertained. Nothing more fun than meeting and greeting the best squirrels, and we have massive amount of so lets find some spaces for our bunny's and put in a new mail box,. Then we can plant the bee plants, and don't forget to make a home for the new mailboxes, and the fancy ice cream party in the cool evening.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 04:09 am
@glitterbag,
In Scarborough you can feed the squirrels by hand.

There's something quite touching having one searchinb your hand for thenuts it wants.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 05:44 am
@glitterbag,
It's good you didn't look at the eclipse. Without special glasses you could have damaged your retinas.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 08:59 am
I saw a lot of rain.

"And the rain, rain, rain, rained like rain
At rainy Rawlinson End"
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 11:45 am
When I was a kid, Halley's comet was in the news. If I remember correctly the press and the media made a big deal over its sighting but I never saw it. When was the last time any comets were in mainline news?

How come comet sightings don't get a lot of attention?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 11:52 am
@JGoldman10,
They do.

There's been a few since then.

I remember Hale Bopp in 1995, that was quite significant.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 11:56 am
@JGoldman10,
Anyway Comets get a lot more attention than Dashers, Dancers, Prancers or Vixens.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 12:52 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

They do.

There's been a few since then.

I remember Hale Bopp in 1995, that was quite significant.

The most prominent comet I've ever seen was while I was in your country, Izzy...back in 1957. Comet Arend–Roland was spectacular...easily seen with the unaided eye...and huge.

I've been an amateur astronomer since high school...and I've seen many of them. In fact, there is one visible right now, comet Pons-Brooks...and there was speculation that it might actually be visible during the ecliple on Monday.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 01:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That was before my time.

To be honest I wasn't even aware of it.

The first I heard about comets was when we did the Battle of Hastings at school.

There's a comet on the Bayeaux Tapestry, I think it might be Halley's Comet.

To the Mediaevil mind it heralded somd portent or other.

Same nonsense used to justify invasion throughout history.

That would have been the early 70s.
0 Replies