How do i deal with this

no2rbo

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2024 09:17 am
17M
I live at home with my mom, dad and two siblings: a twin and my sister (6yo). This focuses more on my mom and dad. My mom has always been playing the victim whenever there was an issue in the house, she guilts trip me and my brother every chance she gets (which later led me to never take anything from her because i got used to it being used agaisnt me later), whenever were not on good terms or had an argument she loses no time before telling all the extended family (grandparents, aunts, cousins and whoever else she gets the chance with) to explain a version of what happened thats extremely inaccurate and placing herself forward as the victim even more. My dad's role in this is mostly normalizing her behaviour, backing her up and screaming at me when i get mad at her for what she does. I believe my dad does feel what she does is wrong but at the same time he does nothing.
A good example of everything is what happened recently:
I have a dog whom i agreed with my mom she would walk on the morning in the weekdays and i have the rest of the walks since i go to college early in the morning. My parents are the ones who get him the food and i rarely tend to him in the morning since I have to be out the house early. However, for some reason, my parents told me to go feed him and so i did yet there wasn't enough food for his meal. I went to see my mom to ask her what else i should give him. She then answered by telling me i should cook some rice to go with it which i explained i couldn't since i had school. She started saying I don't take care of him, that i should've planned ahead and whenever I tried answering by saying I don't usually feed him in the morning and I didn't know we were missing food, she would cut me off, raise her voice and it got me mad. I raised mine trying to get a turn to speak but that only got my father to scream at me for getting mad at my mom. By the time that ended it was too late to go to school and when i said that, because they asked why i wasnt leaving for school, my mom started calling me a liar, my dad got mad again and told me to leave the house no matter if i went to school or not which transformed in me having to walk the dog which i did not do in the end because i just left not being able to bear it all. My parents called me, sent me texts and let me know that i should come back and walk him or they would be even madder but i didn't answer because i didn't want to expose myself to any more of that. My mom sent me texts saying she put him in my room and if he relieved himself in my room it would be my problem and that when im calm and respectful we could talk. I came back home after my second class and as expected my mom called me upstairs to talk, when i asked her if I would have a turn to speak she made it clear that I wouldn't and i decided to leave again, but not before she took my phone as a punishment. I didn't come back until late at night at which point I had a real discussion with my dad where i could fully explain what happened and i could see he wasn't about to do anything and asked me to sleep at home and check in the morning when I'm calmer(i was seriously thinking of going someplace else to sleep). Woke up the next morning, went to school early as always came back, no talk happened and I still didn't get my phone. The next day she can't find the phone where she put it and starts saying I stole it, that I'm a thief on top of a liar and she goes to the family and tells everyone her side of the story as she does everytime. We come back home after going out to see my dads side of the family to whom she continued playing the victim and using sarcasm whenever she said she raised her sons well while i left cuz i couldn't bear it anymore. When we came back home i was careful to let her enter the house first and asked my dad to tell me where she had hid the phone and with no surprise i find it one shelf on top of where she was convinced she hid it. My dad called my mom and she said i placed it back when i came in and that i was lying again. Since then I asked my dad for my phone because i still didnt get it back and he says i should talk to my mom and settle things with her but that always ends by me asking for forgiveness for something i did not do and submitting myself to her narrative. The whole situation has been draining me emotionally and mentally and i dont know what to do. I use my phone on the daily to get around the buses and paying for my food or anything else i wanna buy but I dont wanna go and "settle things" with my mom when i know damn well i did nothing wrong.
Im feeling myself sink into depression again, losing all my energy and its just killing me.

jespah

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2024 11:43 am
@no2rbo,
Start making your plans to escape. Save money, investigate getting roommates (colleges are great places to get this info), and consider how you can continue attending college if you have to pay the entire bill, if you are not doing so already.

If it'll be too difficult to pay for everything yourself while also paying rent, then make sure you sign up for summer school and do your best to graduate as early as you can. College will only get more expensive, and this gives you the jump on any rate increases. Look at graduating as being something that is nonnegotiable. Study after study shows you make something like $1 million more (or even more) over the course of your career if you've got the sheepskin. This is regardless of choice of major or career.

Talk to your twin and even your little sister about walking the dog in the mornings. Pay them or do their chores for them if you have to. The dog is being used as a pawn and it's not fair to an animal that cannot understand what is going on.

It's not just unfair when this happens. It's borderline animal cruelty.

Your mother has… issues. That's a nice word for it. She sounds like a narcissist. You don't say how old she is, but it is possible for people in their 40s to get dementia, and that can make a person aggressive. I say this not to excuse her behavior at all, but more in an effort to attempt to explain it.

But I am not a doctor.

You need to protect yourself and your dog, and your little sister if you have the mental wherewithal to do so, because she's also innocent in all of this. If you think things are bad for you, they could potentially end up being a lot worse for her. Girls get an entirely different set of expectations thrown upon us at an early age, and it doesn't get any better when we get older—you just graduate to even more impossible expectations (the garbage that women have to constantly deal with is well-catalogued in this song).

But let's get back to you. Your current situation is untenable. You will need to get out of it, as quickly as you can and as well as you can. It's obvious your mother won't help you end this nonsense. But maybe your father will, even if it's just him slipping you a few bucks every now and then.

Your extended family may also be of some help. A favorite uncle or aunt may allow you to live with them over the summer (and if you can take summer classes online, then that would be ideal). A cousin might have a spare bed you can use if you get an apartment. Another might have a pickup and could help you move. Grandparents could conceivably be able to help with something like 529 money for college, if they aren't already.

I can fairly well guarantee that your mother's family knows about her behaviors.

So they will understand why you are coming to them, if you decide to go that route.

I know that depression (again, IANAD) can make you feel paralyzed, like there's no way to fix your problems. But depression is a liar. There are things you can do, and there are probably a lot of people who would love to help you if you would only ask. I hope for only the best for you.
0 Replies