Prohibition....

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 04:35 am
Hi, I am doing some History Coursework on Prohibition in America, but I am stuck on one particular question. I am comparing a letter by John D. Rockefeller jr and a speech by John F. Kramer.
I've got some notes on both sources and for Rockefeller's firstly I've got 'he was a successful industrialist.'
What I need to know is how does this affect his views about Prohibition?

Thanks V much

Honey_rose_cr
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,304 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 06:06 am
I would need more information. A brief snip of a quote leaves me somewhat lost and unsure in what context 'he was a successful industrialist' is being used.

I know at one time John D. Rockefeller Jr. was a supporter of prohibition but in around 1932 he changed his mind feeling the Volstead Act was a failure. A few short years after that Rockefeller was involved with the roots/founding areas of Alcoholics Anonymous.

As for how being an industrialist might have had an effect on Rockefeller's thinking process, it may have boiled down to money or his being loathe to the idea of revenues being generated by something which he clearly considered harmful.

Again I need more information, including if possible the year of his quote..
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 01:05 pm
It's OK, thanku very much. I just left out the bit bout him being an industrialist, I think it was just my crazy history teacher. She just blurts out words and hopes that you'll string em into a sentence...

Thanks again!!

Honey_rose_cr
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:31 pm
LONG LIVE BEER!!!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:34 pm
Let's bring back Prohibition. I'd love some good bathtub gin right about now.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:50 pm
A friend of mine once fermented his own brew. I small test for methanol told us that its consuption would mean instant blindness.. The Chicago gangsters would return!
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:05 pm
Mmmm Baileys....
0 Replies

madillyo

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:50 am
@honey rose cr,
what's the speech by John F Krammer?
0 Replies