Friends/Heartbreak/Falling in Love: A rant

flushd

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 04:12 am
So, this may be more of a rant that anything else, but I'd love to get some feedback. I'm sure many of you have been here, and will look at it like small potatos. Easy to solve: I'd appreciate the insight.

I am SICK of listening to yet-another-sob-story from my friends about how horrible it is to be them with dating/marital problems.

The Women:
There are no nice guys out there!
None of the nice guys pay any attention to me because I am (too fat, too smart, not pretty enough, not enough of a slut, not virgin enough, not young enough, don't have enough money).

The Men:
There are no decent women out there!
Women are all sluts; and out of the nice girls they are all f*cked up from some jerks by the time I meet them.
I can't get a woman because they are ( such sluts, so stupid, only want my money, only want hot bodies, want me to have a high status, want to treated like sh*t ).

ARRRGG!
Dare to suggest that it may be THE FRIEND who is rejecting/ sending out the wrong messages and they look at me like I'm on drugs!

What is with the obsession with being in a relationship anyways?!

Here is why I am currently so annoyed by it:
I have a great friend who is a male. Known each other since we were kids. Watched each others backs through first and second heartbreak, through trying to get a job, through trying to find 'ourselves'.
We were each other's first kiss, first crush, and first fist fight Smile

He's in the middle of a break-up after being cheated on by his fiance.
Comes to me and cries.

On one hand, I'm thinking "I'm his friend. Let him cry and whine. Be there for him."
On the other hand, I'm thinking "Why does he think he can do this to me? Why doesn't he see that I've been here for him? Sh*t, the two of us have had a great relationship and we're boy/girl. He's gonna f*ck up my possibility of finding love bc I'll be taking care of him. Either wake up or stop crying to me!"

I think the bawling over trying to know real love is getting to me. I'm starting to feel that way myself: What am I doing wrong?

Do we control who we fall in love with? Are there any answers, or is it just a messy free-for-all and hope you are lucky enough to choose/find the right one?

thanks to anyone who took the time to listen. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 931 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 04:44 am
If your friend's fiance cheated during the engagement--then they weren't right for each other and it was best for him to discover this fact BEFORE they walked down the aisle.

You're his friend. Everyone needs a friend with a good ear from time to time in order to vent one's frustrations and "feel better" after getting it off one's chest. Being his friend doesn't stop you from living your own life--not unless you're just living on the sidelines of his life waiting for him to open his eyes, realize what a good catch you are, and profess his love for you.

Do you engage in fist fights with your friends and boyfriends? If so, cut out the fist fights. Violence is NEVER ACCEPTABLE.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:55 am
Some days you're the shoe and some days you're the doormat. That's the give and take of friendships.

Your friend probably comes to you rather than anyone else because he knows you, he trusts you, you have always been there for each other and he is hurting very badly right now. You are his rock of Gibraltar so to speak. Unfaltering in your unconditional friendship that he could not imagine it any other way. He comes to you because you have always allowed him to come to you in the past. Would you really want it any other way?

I'd suggest you give him some of your time right now, if you have any to give. It's worth it in the long run rather than severing the ties of the years that have bonded you two to each other as such great friends.

Sometimes finding the right partner in life IS a crapshoot and your question about why people become so obsessed about being in a relationship can be as simple as no one wants to end up alone to as complicated as quantum physics. I really have no clue as to what motivates an entire populace. Sad There really does appear to be some sort of desperation in some people though and I suspect that it is brought on by their own mindsets and feelings about themselves and misconceived notions about potential partners. The complaints your friends give you are as unfounded as can be, but I think that society itself, with a huge dose of media thrown in, has tried to quantify what makes the "perfect" person, and we, the public, have swallowed it hook, line and sinker either trying to be that perfect person or else focused on finding that perfect person.

Sad disillusionments prevail in any case. Sad In reality, there is a huge population who finds contentment in their single lives and those are the folks I really admire. They don't need another person to define who they are. They are themselves, true to themselves and take comfort in knowing the don't have to prescribe to societal standards of the perfect coupledom.

Wow...methinks I strayed from the original path....

Breathe deep, flushd. Give comfort to your friend as one day you may need some for yourself and be thankful for what the two of you do have, the good and the bad.
0 Replies