Why?

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2024 04:32 pm
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but something has really been bothering me a lot and that is being called a loser. I've been called that word by my own family and strangers and it makes me feel like everyone else belongs and I don't. Since I was 12 years old, I have always been laughed at behind my back. (I've heard my family do that to me as well.) I'm basically seen as a joke and I have no idea why. I have always been different from everyone else, but being called this word and sometimes holding this belief about myself that I am what they say I am, haunts me and it's very isolating. I honestly wish I could stop giving a crap and just be happy. It doesn't help that I have a huge amount of social anxiety. Not only that, but I feel angry at other's cruel treatment toward me. I would never harm another person or group of people, but I often feel like lashing out with my words and being mean back, but this happens behind my back so there's not much I can actually do. (People do say it so I can hear it sometimes though.)

I don't know where people get the audacity to treat another person this way. I'd feel bad for even calling someone that. Am I just an easy target? I'm sure I have some sort of autism. Why do they do this?

I've had a nurse say that I was "such an r-word" and laugh like she was some sort of mean girl in high school. That has actually been said a lot, but not as much as the loser thing.

Mame

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2024 08:02 pm
@CandleCutter77,
You know, CC - you need to get out of that environment. Seriously. You are being judged, and have been judged, your whole life, in a negative light. You don't see yourself that way and it's doing you no good at all to continue to be surrounded by that shite.

I don't know why this is happening, but first of all, even if you were guilty of what they're saying, they shouldn't be saying it anyway. It's not supportive or loving. So... these people do not support or love you (esp the way you need to be, as with all of us). So why hang around them? They're detrimental to you.

I don't know where they get the audacity, either. Some kind of attitude - who puts people down for being different? Not the kind of people you want to hang out with, right? So - dump them! Just be too busy, have an appointment, that's not a good time for me, maybe next time, etc... get rid of them (it's not that hard), and find a new group who don't know anything about you so they can't/won't repeat the same crap this group does.

Embrace yourself and your differences and get out of Dodge, one way or another. Try to put this all behind you in your new endeavours.

And good for you for not believing all that stuff. Think about how you can be good to yourself and do it. Hint: one way would be dumping their sorry asses, or at least not being available very often. Also, you could say, "That's not me you're talking about"... "I don't want to hear that again."... "Stop. Stop right there. I'm not listening to this. If you continue, I'm leaving."

I hope you update us! And good luck.
CandleCutter77

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2024 09:00 pm
@Mame,
This is really good advice, though this problem seems to follow me everywhere I go. If I were to find a new group of people, they'd have a problem with me all over again. I definitely need to cut off some family though.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2024 11:13 pm
@CandleCutter77,
As Mame said, you need to stop people the minute they start in on trying to talk down to you and/or be disrespectful. If you let them, they'll do it. It is up to you to stop them and be firm about it.

You tell them "I will not allow you to talk to me in this manner! If you cannot speak to me in a respectful tone, we're done here" ...and then walk away!

It's one thing to be talked to in such a disrespectful manner, but it is another thing if you allow it to happen. Stop them in their tracks and walk away!
CandleCutter77

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2024 07:35 am
@CalamityJane,
This is very true. I need to start doing this
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2024 08:16 pm
You have received some very good advice. Never doubt your self worth. Be firm with the ones treating you this way.
0 Replies