Protests in America: Reality, or Reality TV?

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:26 am
You are funny JW.

First Thoreau, now Randy Newman... I think you are a leftie at heart.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 02:20 pm
revel wrote:
Maybe to us forty somethings the 60's protest seem more real than anything going on today. We don't have any MLK or even a John Lennon singing "Give Peace a Chance." All we seem to have is a bunch of Toby Keith's singing about blowing up the sky red and white and blue.

But we also had the SDS blowing up government buildings and organizing student demonstrations that were intended to become violent as well as the Black Panthers who didn't think MLK's message of peaceful change would ever be effective.

Soz is right, much of the protest movement has been romanticized and idealized. Kicky is right too, there was genuine anger and a drive to make real change. It wasn't romantic, it was downright ugly
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 02:28 pm
Ugly or not it seems a lot of good came out of it in the long run.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 05:23 pm
JustWonders wrote:
panzade wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
I heard this Randy Newman song on the radio a couple of weeks ago. It made me laugh (No one likes us), because it was apparently written in the early 70's. So...I guess all this "anti-Americanism" stuff has been going on since before I was even born!

Yeah, Newman is pretty cynical. Good tune JW

I'd bet he's conservative LOL. Just a hunch. "I Love L.A." is my all time favorite of his. I've seen him sing it and so whenever I hear it, it cracks me up Smile
Newman is a left leaning moderate
0 Replies