Microwave Cooking

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 09:49 pm
Thumbing through a book in Walmart last week, I noted the author of Cures They Don't Want You to Know About stated that microwaved food causes cancer. I decided to research the topic. Here is the first item I've found.

There have been very few scientific studies done on the effect of eating food microwaved food. This is rather surprising when you think about the fact that microwaves have been with us for only a few decades - and that in that time the incidence of many diseases has continued to increase.

Two researchers, Blanc and Hertel, confirmed that microwave cooking significantly changes food nutrients. Hertel previously worked as a food scientist for several years with one of the major Swiss food companies. He was fired from his job for questioning procedures in processing food because they denatured it. He got together with Blanc of the Swiss Federal Institute of Biochemistry and the University Institute for Biochemistry.
http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html

They studied the effect that microwaved food had on eight individuals, by taking blood samples immediately after eating. They found that after eating microwaved food, haemoglobin levels decreased. "These results show anaemic tendencies. The situation became even more pronounced during the second month of the study".

Who knows what results they would have found if they had studied people who ate microwaved food for a year or more?

The violent change that microwaving causes to the food molecules forms new life forms called radiolytic compounds. These are mutations that are unknown in the natural world. Ordinary cooking also causes the formation of some radiolytic compounds (which is no doubt one reason why it is better to eat plenty of raw food), but microwaving cooking causes a much greater number. This then causes deterioration in your blood and immune system.

In addition, they found that the number of leucocytes increases after eating microwaved food - something which haematologists take very seriously, because this is often a sign of highly harmful effects, such as poisoning.

Also, after eating microwaved food, cholesterol levels increased. Hertel said "Common scientific belief states that cholesterol values usually alter slowly over longer periods of time. In this study, the markers increased rapidly after the consumption of the microwaved vegetables." He believes his study tends to confirm new scientific data that suggest cholesterol may rapidly increase in the blood secondary to acute stress. "Also," he added, "blood cholesterol levels are less influenced by cholesterol content of food than by stress factors. Such stress-causing factors can apparently consist of foods which contain virtually no cholesterol - the microwaved vegetables."

The results were published in "Search for Health" in the Spring of 1992. How was this research greeted? A powerful trade organisation, the Swiss Association of Dealers for Electroapparatuses for Households and Industry somehow made the President of the Court of Seftigen issue a `gag order'. Hertel and Blanc were told that if they published their findings they would face hefty fines or up to one year in prison. In response to this, Blanc recanted his findings. Hertel, on the other hand, went on a lecture tour and demanded a jury trial.

FINALLY, in 1998 the Court `Gag Order' was removed. In a judgment delivered at Strasbourg on 25 August 1998 in the case of Hertel v. Switzerland, the European Court of Human Rights held that there had been a violation of Hertel's rights in the 1993 decision. The Court decided that the `gag order' prohibiting him form declaring that microwaved food is dangerous to health was contrary to the right to freedom of expression. In addition, Switzerland was sentenced to pay compensation of F40,000.

In Summary: Blanc and Hertel found that eating microwaved food:

Increases cholesterol
Increases white blood cell numbers
Decreases red blood cell numbers
Causes production of radiolytic compounds (compounds unknown in nature)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,519 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 09:57 pm
Interesting, Edgar.

I've always been weary of microwaving things. If I can avoid it, I do at all costs. I rarely re-heat leftovers and seldom cook popcorn, hotdogs etc. It's just something that is extremely sensitive with me, I don't feel comfortable standing around while a microwave is on, let alone chowing down on food that's been zapped to death for 15 seconds.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 09:59 pm
I'm disappointed to find out that you patronize Walmart, Edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 09:59 pm
THE RUSSIANS

From 1957 up until very recently Russian research into microwaves was
mainly carried out at the Institute of Radio Technology at Klinsk in
Byelorussia. According to US researcher William Kopp, Russian
forensic teams observed the following key effects:

1. People who ingested microwaved foods showed a statistically higher
incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, plus a general
degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues and a gradual breakdown
of the function of the digestive and excretory systems.

2. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions
occurred within the lymphatic system, causing a degeneration in the
immune system's ability to protect the body against neoplastic
(cancerous) growth.

3. Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritional
value of all foods studied, most significantly in the
bio-availability of Bcomplex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E,
essential minerals and lipotropics (substances that prevent abnormal
accumulation of fat).

4. Heating prepared meats in a microwave sufficiently for human
consumption creates the cancer-causing agent d-nitrosodiethanolamine.

5. Cancer-causing free radicals were formed within certain
trace-mineral, molecular formations in plant substances --
particularly in raw root vegetables.

6. Ingestion of microwaved foods caused a higher percentage of
cancerous cells within the blood serum.

7. Microwaving foods alters their elemental food substances, leading
to disorders in the digestive system.

The use of microwave ovens was banned in Russia in 1976.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:02 pm
Gus
Most bookstores are a pretty tough drive from here.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:03 pm
I'd rather read cereal boxes than step one foot into a Walmart.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:04 pm
Is there a library close to your house, Edgar?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:17 pm
Thanks for the info edger. No more microwave for me. I'm gonna throw mine through Walmarts window.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:47 pm
Gus
The library has been moved to the college campus on the other side of Tomball. It has never been up to date anyway. Their copy of The Writer's Market is four or five years old.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 11:07 pm
Quote:
cancer-causing agent d-nitrosodiethanolamine.

Barbequing makes these also, but with a whole lot more flavor.

Im in a spot now. How shall I heat up my twinkies? the microwave made the stuff inside a rich warm filling that was so satisfying when served with ice cream and chocolate syrup.

Sometimes if Im up on the bow of the boat, Ill stand at the winch head and soak up the radar beam to warm up. It gets cold in the N ATlantic.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 11:10 pm
bar-B-Q your twinkies
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 11:14 pm
I've been heating my lunch in a microwave a long time. Lately I've been eating it cold. It don't really taste so bad that way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 07:56 am
Microwaved food doesn't even taste as good as regular cooking anyway.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 08:53 am
Djever do an egg in a nuke? Blows up real good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 08:55 am
Everyone goes in circles. Many just don't know it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 08:57 am
Edgar,

With all respect, your sources are very unscientific and misleading.

The fact is there is no danger to properly using a microwave oven to heat food. You should follow the advise about heating a babies bottle and microwaving plastics that aren't approved. Besides that, microwaves are both quick and safe.

This article is using pseudo-science to support their hyped up claims. It is very easy to detect this tactic. Look for scientific buzzwords that don't make sense. Here is a prime example (from the original article)...

Quote:

The violent change that microwaving causes to the food molecules forms new life forms called radiolytic compounds.

This fantastic claim is a good clue that the person writing the article is pulling scientific sounding phrases out of the air to make claims about something he or she knows nothing about.

You can be sure that food cooked in a microwave is completely safe (other than the fact that it is hot).

We know this, because we understand the science. It is a pretty simple idea that heats water. The fantastic claims don't make any sense. There are no compounds created by microwaves that aren't created by normal heating, and there are certainly no new lifeforms created. Both of these facts are pretty easy to confirm in the lab.

All of these sites claim that microwaves were banned in Russia. I don't see this as proof of the other claims of the microwave conspiracy group, but I am interested to know if there is any truth to this claim. I found the claim on new age sites, but nowhere else.

Can anyone provide a real link to this rather amazing claim, or the reason they were banned? I don't recall be Soviets being too worried about public health.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:15 am
I've read some debunking about microwaved food before (thanks for link, ebrown, and debunking about the plastic leaching before -
can't remember if there was an exclusion for the cheaper thinner plastics.

I tend to use glass for storage anyway. Always prefer stove type cooking. I do use the microwave more than I thought I would when I finally got one. Melting butter for baking, slightly reheating my coffee, and, horrors, heating frozen packaged spring rolls (my new gross food addiction, they're so lousy compared to real ones..)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:16 am
That's why I started this thread. I want to know the truth. I have stopped microwaving as a precaution until I can be certain.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:21 am
we should never have to fear our food-Julia Child.

She didnt like microwaving cause it imparted a sallow look to whatever was being heated
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:28 am
if there's anything I truely distain it's sallow looking tea after a nuke re-heat.
0 Replies