Giant Killers Maidstone.

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2024 08:35 am
You only get this in the FA Cup, Ipswich Town, who are second in the Championship, the second tier in football after the Premiership, have just been beaten 2-1 by non league Maidstone.

As someone born down the road from Maidstone I am so happy.

As a Southampton supporter I'm very pleased too. Southampton are a point below Ipswich in the Championship, and they'll be going back to the league a bit crestfallen.

This can only happen in the FA Cup, it's the only competition where amateurs can play world class sporting millionaires.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 164 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2024 09:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
This can only happen in the FA Cup, it's the only competition where amateurs can play world class sporting millionaires.
I think, Maidstone players are semi-professionals. at least.

But something like that can happen in the cup matches elsewhere, too.
In Germany, in 2020, FC Saarbrücken (then 'Regional League Southwest', fourth tier, 5 leagues in Germany below the professional 3rd Bundesliga) reached the semi-finals.
And in 2001, Union Berlin (then Regional League North) even reached the final.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2024 09:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I know what you're saying re Maidstone, (and Ipswich), neither are at the opposite ends of the leagues.

I wasn't speaking specifically of these two sides, who are not Roy of the Rovers storymakers, but the competition in general.

Obviously Scholing United beating Liverpool would be a far bigger killing but that's not likely to happen, and the Maidstone result is as good as it gets.

And thank you for educating me about other the German competitions.

Our pundits like to tell us of the uniqueness of the FA Cup and I was falling for the hype.

It's still a good result.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2024 11:06 am
Saints managed a last minute equaliser against Watford for a replay.

The winner will face Liverpool.
0 Replies