Which Film is the Funniest that You Have Ever Seen?

bigdice67

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:29 am
I just love Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day", he literally kills me with his different faces of digust when he realizes that he's caught in this one, repetitive, repulsive day.

I'm a sucker for Steve Martin in "The Jerk", when he "get's rythm", and decides to hitchhike to where the music comes from! After a da yhiking he's gotten to the end of the fence!!! That's one of my pantwetters...

Third place is.. ahem... "Home Alone" with Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern getting an asswhooping by Macauley Culkin... I was working in a ski-resort at that time, 1200mls away from the family, over Christmas.... so I kind of related to the kid...>snif<
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:23 am
Young Frankenstein would certainly be on my top 5 list.

A recent French film called "The Dinner Game" would have to be there- it's about a contest to invite the biggest idiot to dinner, and how it backfires on one player.

One of Buster Keaton's silent films: either "The General", "Steamboat Bill Jr" or "Seven Chances" the height of physical comedy!

Something with W C Fields, probably the one (I can't remember the name) where he is a general store keeper and lives above the store with his virago wife.

And, I guess I would round out the list with "Ghostbusters"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:37 am
W. C. just slays me. My favorite line is when he is in the poolhall in The Bank Dick, with the young suitor for his daughter's hand, and he goes through the long, silent, vaudeville routine with the crooked cue-stick, and then, as he is lining up his first shot:

"Is this a game of chance, Mr. Sousé?"

"Not the way i play it . . ."
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:30 am
In the WC Fields movie I'm thinking of, a guy comes in and wants to buy a 1 cent postage stamp.
"Any particular color?"
"You got any BLACK ones?"
Fields finds a sheet of stamps and starts to tear one off.
"Not one of those dirty stamps on the corners! I want the clean one out of the middle!"
"Yes, of course, of course..."
"And your sign says free gift with any purchase?"
"Certainly, sir, here is your free gift- a genuine Ming vase..."
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:09 pm
Bigdice67,
...I agree with you on "Groundhog Day", great movie. A classic example of, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. However I do take issue with your use of the word "literally". In fact I started a thread with that title. Check it out. It's under English.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:11 pm
Oh, yeah! Not really a funniest, but deserves a mention, I think: Rushmore.

The kid to a very unkempt, chain smoking Bill Murray pouring rum into a can of Diet Coke: "How are you doing these days?"

Murray, completely deadpan: "I'm a little lonely."

Good stuff.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:36 pm
Equus - I'll have to be on the lookout for "The Dinner Game." Never gone wrong on any of your recommendations.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 05:49 pm
Now this is hard after reading all these posts. But - my favourites are 'The Party', 'A Fish Called Wanda' and 'The Life of Brian'.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 06:50 pm
I'm a sucker for romantic comedies ~ 'Groundhog Day' is one, 'Multiplicity' is the other. (Michael Keaton plays four different roles as himself.)

Favorite lines from the movie:

Keaton 1 to Keaton 2 asking about Keaton 4: 'What's wrong with him?'

Keaton 2: 'Well, you know how it is when you try to make a copy from a copy.....'
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:23 pm
an Alan Arkin film "Simon"
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:46 pm
So many "favorites". Oldies: Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers (A Night at the Opera..."And one hard-boiled egg.) Buster Keaton...Don't remember a title but remember a bit where he is suspended from a revolving thing-a-ma-jig, and each time he came around totally deadpan and crowlike in his black cape, was funnier and funnier.

Others I liked a lot: The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Horse's Mouth, Kind Hearts and Coronets

Some Like It Hot

Dr Strangelove, Being There

The In-Laws, Midnight Run

For inadvertant "howls" the ending of Clint Eastwood's The Gantlet is untoppable as that bus is unstoppable
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 02:23 pm
The Graduate
Also Dustin Hoffman in the movie where he was the baby sitter. "Tootsie?"
Peter Sellers
A sorta new one called "About the Boy" with Hugh Grant
Guess I'm going to have to see "Something About Mary."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 03:11 pm
Hoffman in "Tootsie" was an out-of-work actor trying to get a part and ends up going in drag to play in a soap opera. You're thinking of Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire." Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 04:22 pm
I laughed myself silly the first time I saw Annie Hall ... very clever dialogue .... Though it's lost some of it's sparkle with recent video viewings.
The Producers was marvellous.
And an oldie I saw on TV the other day - Bringing up Baby.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 04:23 pm
LW, there's a babysitting scene in "Tootsie". Hoffman, as Dorothy Michaels, agrees to sit for Jessica Lange's not-so-adorable (pretty dang cranky, actually) baby. They end up with strained carrots or squash pretty much everywhere.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 05:20 pm
I had forgotten about that scene -- I was thinking Tex's description fit "Mrs. Doubtfire" better even though she actually was hired as the housekeeper, not particularly a baby sitter. Hard to keep track of all the female impersonators!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 05:23 pm
Come to think of it: Why are there so few females impersonating males? Any comedies?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 05:50 pm
Victor Victoria
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 09:12 pm
It had to be The Pink Panther!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 09:42 pm
Also, in "Shakespeare in Love."...... Glyneth Paltrow" was a drag king(?)
0 Replies