Which Film is the Funniest that You Have Ever Seen?

quinn1

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:02 pm
Young Frankenstein is certainly amoung the top ranks!!!!

My view of funny and the movie Im watching though usually depends on the way I am taking it, who Im with, my mood, etc....so there are quite a few that I could say were so funny although I dont think anyone else would agree <well Jerry might agree on Eight Legged Freaks and Fast and Furious, but dont know about anyone else>

Some of the rest that come right to mind though....

Son In Law
Dusk To Dawn <just me I think though>
Big Daddy
BIG

well, theres lots!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:11 pm
My first Pink Panther, I thought I was going to break my ribs laughing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 01:20 pm
Ditto on "Young Frankenstein!" "Put the candle back!" Laughing One of the funniest site gags in film.

My top three favorites are "Some Like It Hot, "Young Frankenstien" and "What's Up Doc!" "The Inlaws" (and "There's Something About Mary" are way up their also as well as "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and
"Airplane!"
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 03:11 pm
For just pure, laugh-until-I-strain-a-gut, had-to-go-back-to-the-theater-because-of-lines-missed-while-laughing, even-little-old-ladies-were-laughing-at-cheap-jizz-sight-gags -- it's gotta be "Something About Mary." ("Cough it up, choppers.")

Runner up: "A Fish Called Wanda." ("You're the vulgarian, you ****!")

Honorable mentions: "Dr. Strangelove" ("He'll see the big board!"), "Young Frankenstein" (take your pick), "South Park ("You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn...")."
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 05:00 pm
The In-Laws really crack me up, and the Pink Panther was definately funny. I like a lot of the Bob Hope and Cary Grant movies, those guys new what's funny.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 05:12 pm
I absolutely despise Streisand and the clown who was opposite her in What's Up Doc? (can't remember his name--truly a blessing), but nevertheless, i'd have to go along with LW on this one--that was a Hollywood classic, borrowing from Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin . . . all the best of a great, but sadly long-forgotten, tradition of great Hollywood comedies . . . i loved it . . .

I also loved It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 05:15 pm
Ah yes, Dr. Strangelove had some classic moments, and a tour-de-force by Sellers . . . my favorite two scenes: General Jack Ripper and Group Commander Marmaduke in Ripper's office, and Ripper explains how he became aware of the international communist plot to sap our precious bodily fluids: ". . . it was after an act of love . . . "

The other is Slim Pickens announcing war to his flight crew: "Well, boys, it looks like this it . . . toe to toe new-clear combat with the Ruskis . . . "
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 05:21 pm
Man, I almost forgot about Slim. How'd I do that? Probably because of bits like "What's the point of having a Doomsday Device if you don't tell anybody you have it?" "We were saving it for May Day."

Or sumthin like that...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 05:24 pm
don't fergit the "mineshaft gap" . . . they got a first-class comic performance out of George C. Scott, by the way, and just about no one else in Hollywood would have cast him in that type of comedy . . . does anyone remember the movie in which Scott thought he was Holmes, and his therapist, played by Joanne Woodward, was Dr. Watson?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 05:29 pm
That was Ryan O'Neal opposite Streisand in "What's Up Doc" and I also always wished Babs would stick to singing -- not that much of a fan of her acting. But she is a good comedian, probably from her experience in "Funny Girl" portraying Fanny Brice and O'Neal was a good foil for her in that film. It was Bognavich's directing that made the film, however. Madelaine Kahn virtually ran away with the show as the jilted fiancee.
It's really a remake of "Bringing Up Baby" cleverly disguised but the spy storyline with the mixed up bags is hilarious. You're right that Streisand is no Katherine Hepburn and Ryan O'Neal is no Cary Grant but still a Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing comedy.

"Bringing Up Baby" has to be up there in the top ten -- that final scene when she's made a mess of Cary Grant's life and destroys the dinosaur specimen is uproarious. And who could forget the "gay" line when Cary Grant is caught wearing the woman's housecoat.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 08:28 pm
YF, "Ah, sweet mystery of life."
Pink Panther.
In Laws.
A Fish Called Wanda.
The Graduate. The Simon and Garfunkel songs, especially Hello Mrs. Robinson, added tremendously to the humor of the movie.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 08:52 pm
Along with several other posters on this thread, I think "Blazing Saddles" is the funniest film I have ever seen.
It was such a spoof of the Western genre that I laugh just thinking about it.

I will add that any movie the great Laurel and Hardy made also ranks with the funniest. I have watched their films over-and-over again for more than 50 years.
What a funny team Exclamation
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 10:37 pm
We just saw "The Importance of Being Earnest." It was very funny and an all round delight.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 06:31 pm
Either Dr. Strangelove or Being There.

BIG Peter Sellers fan.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:55 pm
"My Cousin Vinnie"....That movie had me crying
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 10:33 pm
FUNNIEST MOVIE
Although all the movies mentioned herein have been very very funny I cast my vote for ; There's Something About Mary. I literally rolled around on the floor, convulsing in giggles, come to think of it..... Pulp Fiction had almost the same kind of effect on me - but, I was in
a movie theatre, you see, so I couldn't get into it as much as when I saw it on video at home.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 10:35 pm
OMG HOW could I have ever forgotten about Dusk to Dawn,
shame on me!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:39 pm
I agree with those who named My Cousin Vinnie that's a good one.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:48 pm
Williamhenery, I'm with you on Laurel and Hardy. I will never tire of the seeing them giving the high bid on the grandfather's Clock at an auction, and the following scenes of trying to get it home. Also moving the piano across the swinging bridge in the Alps. I think that one was called "Swiss Miss."

I can still get big laughs out of movies like "Son of Paleface" with Bob Hope and Jane Russell.

There are a lot of funny movies being made these days too. I loved "Clueless," and "Cold Comfort Farm."I even thought "Legally Blond" was pretty funny.

Still, I cannot recall ever laughing as hard as I did the first time I saw "Monsieur Beaucaire" with Bob Hope. I really thought my lungs were going to collapse. I would have been in my mid twenties at the time which may account for why I thought it was so funny. I laughed harder when I was younger.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:51 pm
Oh, yeah, Ms Witherspoon. I would like to add "Election" to the list.
0 Replies