Which Film is the Funniest that You Have Ever Seen?

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 08:10 pm
Although I have seen many films in my life, the funniest one, hands down, that I have ever seen, is "Young Frankenstein". The first time I saw it I nearly wet my pants. I literally could not stop laughing.

The sight gags and the hilarious remarks come at you, fast and furiously.
I especially enjoyed the bit with Cloris Leachman as Frau Blucher <whinney>.

Mel Brooks has made a lot of funny movies, buy IMO none as consistently uproarious as "Young Frankenstein".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,226 • Replies: 101
No top replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 09:35 pm
Phoenix, there is probably more than one criteria for deciding what we mean by the funniest, but something I can never forget is how hard I laughed the first time I saw Bob Hope in "Monsieur Beaucaire." The scene was Hope as the palace barber trying to keep his mind on giving the king a hair cut and shave while being nervous about also taking the opportunity to ask the king for permission to marry the queen's chamber maid. The king, meanwhile, is trying to talk business with his courtiers.

He made a colossal mess of the haircut, finally sending up a great cloud of talcum powder, causing the king to leap from his chair.

I laughed until I thought I'd pass out.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 09:47 pm
"Young Frankenstain" is certainly right up there. But, as a fan of Westerns, I couldn't stop rollimng on the floor watching "Blazing Saddles." When it comes to Mel Brooks' flicks, those two -- YF and BS -- are a tossup. I also laughed long and hard at "Zorrro - the Gay Blade" and "Love at First Bite." Were either of those two Brooks' films?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 09:47 pm
'The Producers'. A great, hysterical 'con' movie.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 10:31 pm
I love John Cleese - A Fish Called Wanda
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 04:42 am
Merry Andrew- I loved "Blazing Saddles" too, but I thought that some of the humor was strained. It did not have the consistent maniacal flow of YF.
(Loved the scene with the baked beans, though!)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 10:07 am
Deb said she liked Blazing saddles too. I didn't find any scene of that movie to be funny.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 10:12 am
Oooh, "A Fish Called Wanda!" That's a great one.

I admit that the first thing that comes to mind is "There's Something About Mary." Hey, it has Brett Favre!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 11:01 am
I'm a Wanda fan too.

I'll toss in Meaning of Life, Play it Again Sam, and anything Groucho touched.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 11:13 am
Two of my favorites are already listed: "Young Frankenstein" and "A Fish Called Wanda" (the fish tank sequence is making me chuckle right now, not to mention the final steam roller sight gag).

The film that made my gut sore from laughing, however, is "What's Up Doc?" I once had a film party for a few guests and served wine -- nobody was able to get a sip of the wine without spitting it out. Wisely, I had served white wine! The chase sequence with the pane of glass and the Chinese dragon is classic.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 04:59 pm
Definitely Young Frankenstein. Favorite scenes were Frau Bluecher and the horses and Wilder and Boyle "Puttin' on the Ritz".

The Cheap Detective. I laughed so much I missed a lot of the dialogue and stayed to see it again. What a cast! Madeleine Kahn, Eileen Brennan, Marsha Mason, Peter Falk, James Coco , Dom Deluise, etc. Louise Fletcher and Fernando Lamas as Ilsa and Fernando Lamas as Laszlo ifrom Casablanca were hilarious, as were Ann-Margret and Sid Caesar as husband and wife. And Madeleine Kahns' la la la la la la la rendition of La Vie en Rose was a classic.

The In-laws. Peter Falk again, but this time with Alan Arkin as a dentist unwillingly drawn into iPeter Falk's spy escapades. "Serpentine, serpentine Max", Peter Falk yelled, and Alan Arkin awkwardly tried to do just that while bullets were being fired at him from every direction. That scene was priceless.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 05:11 pm
I'd forgotten about The In-laws but it is very funny. And hats off to YF as well. I can't hear, "I fell pretty, oh so pretty" without tears of laughter to my eyes. Abby Normal.... "my grandfather's work was doo doo!"....."my, what knockers".....
For sheer silliness I really like the first Police Squad film with Leslie Nielsen, I can't tell you how many times I've watched that one.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 06:25 pm
Dirty Rotten Scandrals
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 07:28 pm
Please add my vote for Young frankenstein!!

What hump???
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:16 am
Lots of Mel Brooks!He´d be very proud.
I really killed myself at "Bowfinger".A film that started really badly and took off like a rocket.I had to stop the VCR and spool back because I was missing so much from laughing.Several times.
Love the "Puttin´ On The Ritz" sequence.
Also the Clouseau scene where he´s disguised as a dentist pulling Dreyfuss´s tooth and they´re both high on the laughing gas.A totally marvelous scene.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 07:32 pm
I got a really good laugh when I went to the current Austin Powers movie. (Can't remember the name.)

Adam Sandler has some funny movies, too. The first one that comes to mind is "The Waterboy".

I liked "Legally Blonde", too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 07:52 pm
Admittedly, I'm an easy audience - almost any slight comedy can make me giggle, but for pee-my-pants funny, i always go back to The Party. It's particularly effective in making me lose control if i watch it while a bit sleepy, and all my laugh inhibitions are gone. I snort and wheeze and laugh and cry and laugh some more. I've been known to honk during a few scenes.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 11:34 pm
Ooooooh, Peter Sellers......
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 11:52 pm
There are many but I thought I would die laughing the first time I saw the Graduate.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 11:52 pm
And all of the Pink Panther's they were very funny to me.
0 Replies