"Verbs?"

ul

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:23 pm
MaliciousMazeh,

thanks for posting the link. I am sorry that I couldn't help you more, but English is not my first language.
Setanta,
special thanks to you for your explanations, I do know Idiomatic Expressions and their meaning, but I find it very difficult to exlpain them in English.
What I find most difficult is to distinguish between Idiomatic Expressions and colloquial expressions- when to use what in different situations.
0 Replies

MaliciousMazeh

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 06:29 am
contrex wrote:
MaliciousMazeh wrote:
No no no, I need to learn some Very Happy That's my problem. My teacher told me, that it could increase my grades, if I could sound like an american or english-man of origin.
So, basically, I just wanted to ask, if someone could learn me some, and that'd be great.
But as a button, the thing it's called, it's Idiomatic expressions??

You mean "teach me some". But you are completely misunderstanding!!!!!

To learn a language, you have to do this thing called WORK. Spelled "W-O-R-K". Then a thing happens in your brain. That's how the learning happens.

Read English books.
Watch English films.
Listen to English radio.

If you just get lists of idiomatic phrases from people on the net, you didn't make any effort, so you won't learn the language properly.

Tsk. I'm getting a little tired of people saying I'm not doing any effort in learning english. Now, if they followed me from when I was born, they might change their minds. Of course I could lend some english books, but they aren't exactly easy to acquire since almost no shops in my little town sells anything but danish. Trust me, if I could read english books I would.
And what comes to grammatic lessons, well, I can perform better than what I've been taught in my school.

The "teach me / learn", I've NEVER heard about that, but now I know from 2 persons, and for that I thank you. I just think it's hard for you to judge me, and say I'm not doing enough to learn the english language.. properly.

As for movies.. of course I watch english movies, it's almost impossible not to.

And for English radio, I'm gonna say no thanks to that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 06:35 am
MaliciousMazeh -- I understand that it may be difficult for you to acquire books in English, and that is why i have suggested that you search online. A great many books are available online from various sources. If at any time there is something you wish to read, but you're having trouble finding it, post a request here, and as soon as i'll see it, i'll try to find a text for you and put a link in this thread.

I am please to see your efforts to learn a difficult foreign language and wish you the best in your endeavor.
0 Replies

MaliciousMazeh

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:25 am
Thanks, I appreciate that, but it wouldn't help me very much if I have to read it on my computer, I can't sit in my chair that much anymore (Due to my back) but.. wouldn't a summary be just as good? Might spoil it and all, if I finally get my hands on the book some day, but wouldn't it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:28 am
It might, and such summaries are readily available. The value of the full text would be in familiarizing yourself with the common usages and the rhythm of the language. Perhaps i'll contact one of our members, Walter, who lives in Westphalia, and might have some ideas on how you could acquire English texts.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:46 am
Set gave me notice about your 'problem', MaliciousMazeh.

The easiest way to buy books in English language is via amazon (UK).

There's of course postage on it (even if it the website says different due to sending it outsite the UK), but you really can get everything there.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:56 am
Isn' it possible for you to order them through the Danish library system?
I still do use our library system and order English books, although I prefer to have a copy of my own.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 09:13 am
http://www.deff.dk/content.aspx?lang=english&itemguid={5B7E01F3-123B-4D15-8C8B-70CCE7F27907}

There is a project called " Books at your Doorstep" in Denmark-

Quickguide

What is Books to your doorstep?
Books to your doorstep is a book-ordering service offered by the large Danish research libraries as part of a pilot project until the 1st of January 2004. If you need a book that is out on loan or isn't available in your local research library, you now have the option to locate it in one of the other libraries, register as a borrower and order the book for delivery by mail to your home address. This means, that you can expect a quick delivery and that you can register yourself as borrower in those research libraries, you wish to use.

The research libraries, that participate in the service, have set different terms for the delivery of books. You can find more information on the terms and conditions of the service on the individual research library's website.

Which libraries participate?
Danish National Library of Science and Medicine
National Library of Education, Denmark
Technical Knowledge Center of Denmark
The Danish Veterinary and Agricultural Library
The Royal Library
The Aarhus School of Business. The Library
Risø Library
Roskilde University Library
State and University Library
University Library of Southern Denmark
Aalborg University Library

How do I get books delivered to my doorstep?
When you have located the title you are interested in, you follow the link to ordering in the local library catalogue. Here you will have the option to register as a borrower, order books and read more about the libraries' terms and conditions for sending books to your doorstep.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 09:13 am
ul wrote:
Isn' it possible for you to order them through the Danish library system?
I still do use our library system and order English books, although I prefer to have a copy of my own.

Certainly that's another, perhaps even better idea:

The Royal Danish Library's and/or Denmark's Electronic Research Library's websites might be helpful as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 09:16 am
My thanks to Walter and Ul for their help--i did feel rather confident that Walter could come up with something useful a lot faster than i, and am please to see Ul giving good advice as well.
0 Replies

MaliciousMazeh

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 09:21 am
Aw... You guys are great, thanks for all help. Smile

*Even though it doesn't seem to help me much. For one of them, you have to be over 18. For another.. well.. "Varde" library doesn't participate... Kind of pathetic considering that "Gram" is a smaller town, and yet they participate in this "Project".

I found another, more precise, link.

Conclusion: I think that amazon is a better solution. Maybe a bit more expensive, but well, got to get a job then. Gotta work, and earn money Smile
0 Replies