8

Mexican Elections 2024

fbaezer

3  
Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2024 12:58 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Is there a candidate or party you prefer or are concerned about?

For Mexico City, I’m with Salomón Chertorivski, without a doubt. He knows the problems of the city, cares about the people, was a very good Health secretary, and an excellent representative.
Brugada is a partisan populist, and Taboada does have links with the so-called “Real Estate cartel”.

For Congress, it’s very important that Morena and allies do not get a majority, their route is to have an all-powerful central government, no counterbalances and to brake the judiciary brand to make it dependent on the ruling party. It would be a setback for Mexican democracy.
The party that has pushed a democratic and progressive agenda -and the one who votes the least with Morena- is Movimiento Ciudadano.
Since our system is hybrid, and turns out to be mostly proportional, my votes for the Chamber of Deputies, Senators and Mexico City Congress will also be for MC.
The Front’s candidates are mostly the outgoing, stiff, political class.

For the borough mayor, it’s a winner-take-all race. We’ve been governed both by Morena and PAN and I don’t see the difference. Will wait and see.

For President, I’m certainly not voting for Sheinbaum, mainly not because of her, but because of the danger of a Maximato (the period 1928-34, in which former president Calles was the real boss, the Maximum Leader of the Revolution), now with López Obrador as the leader of “the fourth transformation”, as he loves to say (the former three being the independence, the reform-victory over the French and the revolution… the man has a big ego)
If Xóchitl has a chance, I’d vote for her; if not, I’ll go Máynez.
fbaezer

4  
Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2024 01:01 pm
@blatham,
I’m sorry to hear about Jane.
I still direct the newspaper here in Mexico, but will retire in a few months, right after the election.
Yes, we had a good time in Albuquerque, but -alas- it was too short.
blatham

2  
Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2024 09:45 am
@fbaezer,
Yes, it was. I don't think there is a week that goes by where I don't think about Dyslexia.

Lash

2  
Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2024 10:09 am
@fbaezer,

I definitely empathize with that feeling. I feel like the US is a great example of a distant, all-powerful central government--that no longer feels the need to represent the will of the people.
______________________________

I really appreciate you taking the time to share the details of the parties and the candidates. Now, I can follow the news of the election with at least some understanding.

Really enjoying the thread.
________________________________

So, you're a newspaper man?? Can I access your paper online? I know we often don't like our irl lives to collide with a2k--and I have no interest in that at all, but I'd love to see your paper if you're comfortable with that.

(What a life I imagine that to be! Journalist or editor or business manager of a newspaper!)
fbaezer

3  
Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2024 01:27 pm
Wooing the Catholic vote (and offsetting each other)

https://suracapulco.mx/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Papa-Sheinbaum-Xo%CC%81chitl-Fotos-@Claudiashein-en-X-y-@XochitlGalvez-en-X--1132x670.png

fbaezer

3  
Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2024 01:37 pm
Yesterday there was a huge demostration against AMLO's proposed Constitutional changes that endanger democracy (availed by Sheinbaum).

https://sinfronteras.mx/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Marcha-por-la-democracia-senal-de-paz-y-libertad-para-Mexico-730x411.png

The antidemocratic reforms will not pass. The government coalition does not hace the two thirds majority necessary to change the Constitution.
blatham

2  
Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2024 05:40 pm
@fbaezer,
Bravo

bobsal u1553115

1  
Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2024 02:59 pm
@Lash,
How can you be so on point and open minded on this topic and so far off the reservation on US politics???