A new low...even for liberal anti-war protesters

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:16 am
Ticomaya wrote:

I thought you were agreeing with me. You weren't?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:16 am
But enough, nimh's right. Let's not get bogged down in the details.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:21 am
nimh wrote:
OK, wait.

First, according to Tico, those who want Israel to give up the occupied territories are "anti-Jewish". That was Tico's initial assertion, after all.

My initial assertion was that those who want Israel to get out of "the land of Palestine" are anti-Israel. The rest flowed from that.

Quote:
The problem here, obviously, is that a sizable chunk of Israeli Jews themselves want Israel to do so. Are those Israeli Jews anti-Jewish, then? The Meretz party, former government coalition member, an anti-Jewish party?

I dunno. Do these people blame Israel for all of the worlds terrorism?

Quote:
But now the discussion has moved on to another level: at least, those who are anti-Zionist - who are opposed to the foundation of the state of Israel itself - are anti-Jewish.

Well, they're not really, Tico admits that it's not quite the same thing - but he feels like they are.

For the most part. I certainly do in the case of Ms. Sheehan. I wasn't intending to paint with as large a brush as I did.

Quote:
Again, there's a significant tradition in Jewish history opposed to Zionism to discount here in order to feel that way. But I'd like rather to take a step back first. To Tico's initial assertion.

There's no point really in arguing with him about whether those who oppose Zionism are necessarily anti-Semite if he believes even those who merely want Israel to return the occupied territories are anti-Jewish. All those Israelis who think so too included, I suppose.

But you will anyway?

I think those that do so not out of concern for the Jews, but just because they feel Israel's occupation causes terrorism, are anti-Jew. I put Momma Sheehan in that camp.

Quote:
That's the truly bizarre statement we're letting him get away with here.

In what sense are you letting me "get away with" anything?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:21 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

I thought you were agreeing with me. You weren't?

The first part agreed with you. The second part pointed out the uniqueness of Israel.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:26 am
Ticomaya wrote:

I think those that do so not out of concern for the Jews, but just because they feel Israel's occupation causes terrorism, are anti-Jew. I put Momma Sheehan in that camp.

Couldn't it be both? Especially considering that terrorism disproportionately affects Jews?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:30 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Couldn't it be both? Especially considering that terrorism disproportionately affects Jews?

It can be both, but need not be both. I put Momma Sheehan in the latter camp.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:51 am
So, one is anti-Jewish if they believe Israel's actions have lead to greater terrorism?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:57 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So, one is anti-Jewish if they believe Israel's actions have lead to greater terrorism?

Yes, Tico?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:02 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

That's not what I said. Try reading slower.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:03 am
It's what you imply. And, it doesn't matter if you argue that this isn't logical, because we choose to believe that is what you are saying anyways.

Why do you believe that those who recognize reality are anti-Semites?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:08 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's what you imply.

It's not implied, and it's certainly not stated. You aren't accurately repeating here what I did state, but since I think you're being wilfully obtuse, I'll leave it to you to go back and read what I wrote correctly, or not.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:12 am
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh wrote:
OK, wait.

First, according to Tico, those who want Israel to give up the occupied territories are "anti-Jewish". That was Tico's initial assertion, after all.

My initial assertion was that those who want Israel to get out of "the land of Palestine" are anti-Israel. The rest flowed from that.

Your initial assertion was that a), those who are anti-Israel are anti-Jew ("her anti-Israel statements can't be denied. She is, therefore, anti-Jew in my estimation") - and that b), Sheehan was anti-Israel on the virtue of how "she doesn't just oppose the policies of the current administration of Israel. She insists Israel should withdraw from 'the land of Palestine.'"

Wanting Israel to withdraw from Palestine = anti-Jew.

That's where the surrealness came in. Lots of Jews, Israelis even, want Israel to withdraw from Palestine, of course. Want it to withdraw from the occupied territories and exist side-by-side with a Palestine state on the West Bank and Gaza.

Now you could have clarified your point and taken the relatively more feasible tack that this in itself, of course, is not anti-Jew, but that Sheehan is, because she doesnt (allegedly) just want Israel to withdraw to its pre-67 borders - but for it to never have been founded in the first place.

To qualify, basically, that if what is meant with "withdrawing from Palestine" is the non-existence of Israel altogether, then its anti-Jewish.

That added distinction would have gotten you straight into the antizionism Not Equal antisemitism discussion you're having now with FreeDuck and Set. But at least it would have gotten you out of the ludicrous implication that those who want Israel to revert to its pre-Six Days War borders must be anti-Jew, never mind that many Israeli Jews believe so too.

But instead, you did the opposite. When Blatham pointed out the obvious ("There is a huge anti-occupation movement within Israel itself"), you at first incongruously countered that "Israel is not proposing to withdraw from 'the land of Palestine.' Pulling back the occupation of the Gaza strip hardly constitutes this". Blatham of course wasn't talking about the Israeli government or just Gaza, so he explained again, which had you all incredulous:

Quote:
How many Israeli jews think Israel should give back all the land it acquired in the Six Days War to the Palestinians? I'm not quite sure what Ms. Sheehan meant when she's said Irael should get out of "the land of Palestine," but I doubt she meant a unilateral pullback out of Gaza only

Now this is just weird. There's lots of Israeli Jews, of course, who want more than the pullback from Gaza only. Who do think Israel should give back all the land it acquired in the Six Days War and withdraw from the Palestinian territories altogether. Thats what Blatham was talking about. Your apparent incredulity merely suggests ignorance.

It can hardly be anti-Jewish to agree with them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:12 am
Ticomaya wrote:
It's not implied, and it's certainly not stated.

That's what you say here and now, but in my view you meant different.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:15 am
In my view as well. In fact, what you actually said is immaterial; you have actively taken the lead in eschewing the use of logic in the formation of opinions.

Therefore, I can say with confidence that in your opinion, those who believe that Isreal's actions have lead to greater terrorism are anti-semitic.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:19 am
I'm going to refrain from any further piling on and just say good job to nimh for laying it all out so nicely.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:30 am
I agree with Free Duck, both as to reason not to continue to contend with Tico, and the value of Habibi's summation.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:33 am
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
nimh wrote:
OK, wait.

Your initial assertion was that a), those who are anti-Israel are anti-Jew ("her anti-Israel statements can't be denied. She is, therefore, anti-Jew in my estimation") - and that b), Sheehan was anti-Israel on the virtue of how "she doesn't just oppose the policies of the current administration of Israel. She insists Israel should withdraw from 'the land of Palestine.'"

That was not my initial assertion, but perhaps I don't understand what you mean by initial. In any event, I admit that thereafter I quickly stated what you are referring to as my "initial" assertion.

Quote:
Wanting Israel to withdraw from Palestine = anti-Jew.

That's where the surrealness came in. Lots of Jews, Israelis even, want Israel to withdraw from Palestine, of course. Want it to withdraw from the occupied territories and exist side-by-side with a Palestine state on the West Bank and Gaza.

Now you could have clarified your point and taken the relatively more feasible tack that this in itself, of course, is not anti-Jew, but that Sheehan is, because she doesnt just want Israel to withdraw to its pre-67 borders - but for it to never have been founded in the first place.

That has been clarified. Surprised you missed it.

Quote:
To qualify, basically, that if what is meant with "withdrawing from Palestine" is the non-existence of Israel altogether, then its anti-Jewish.

Yes it is.

Quote:
That added distinction would have gotten you straight into the antizionism Not Equal antisemitism discussion you're having now with FreeDuck and Set. But at least it would have gotten you out of the ludicrous implication that those who want Israel to revert to its pre-Six Days War borders must be anti-Jew, never mind that many Israeli Jews believe so too.

Those that continue to assert that that's what I'm saying (Cyclops, Walter, and you) have not been paying attention, and are not reading closely.

Quote:
But instead, you did the opposite. When Blatham pointed out the obvious ("There is a huge anti-occupation movement within Israel itself"), you at first incongruously countered that "Israel is not proposing to withdraw from 'the land of Palestine.' Pulling back the occupation of the Gaza strip hardly constitutes this". Blatham of course wasn't talking about the Israeli government or just Gaza, so he explained again, which had you all incredulous:

Quote:
How many Israeli jews think Israel should give back all the land it acquired in the Six Days War to the Palestinians? I'm not quite sure what Ms. Sheehan meant when she's said Irael should get out of "the land of Palestine," but I doubt she meant a unilateral pullback out of Gaza only

Now this is just weird. There's lots of Israeli Jews, of course, who want more than the pullback from Gaza only. Who do think Israel should give back all the land it acquired in the Six Days War and withdraw from the Palestinian territories altogether. Thats what Blatham was talking about. Your apparent incredulity merely suggests ignorance. It can hardly be anti-Jew to agree with them.

I think I see what might be confusing you. To further clarify, when I said "Gaza only" I should have said the West Bank as well ... a pull-back to the pre-1967 borders. I confused you by appearing to limit it to Gaza. But my point should have been clarified by my statement: "I don't think Israel's disengagement plan will impress Hamas, and that seems to be Ms. Sheehan's goal."

Further, Ms. Sheehan does not voice her opinions out of concern for the continuation of the Jewish state, but rather because she believes Israel is the root cause of terrorism in the world.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:03 pm
dlowan wrote:
She has as much right to speak out as any grieving parent - I don't think the snipers would be complaining if she were extolling the nobility of the cause in which the poor damn young fella died.

nope, they don't, do they ?

That being said, I think MM something of an exception among most of those who eagerly promote and defend the war here in that he is happy to risk himself in the thing.

true dat. he walks the talk. that's why i don't rag on him about the war stuff.

it's the armchair generals that get me cheesed off.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:22 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Is there a reasonable conclusion to reach when one is anti-Israel other than they are anti-Jew?

Whoa Nelly! Tico, this surprises me coming from you. Let's see, would being against Sudan mean that you were a racist? Anti-Saudi Arabia = anti-semitic? (Semites include more than just Jews) Anti-Mexico = racist against hispanics?

So to your original question, the answer is yes. One can be against the actions of Israel, even against its very existence, and still not be anti-Jew. There are a lot of problems with the way things have been handled in that part of the world that should directly conflict with the American sense of justice. One can see that without being "anti-Jew".

happy monday duck.

after 30 years living in los angeles, the racism thing is so frackin' old hat as to be unbearable. or wearable for that matter, it's so full of holes.

see, everything here get's reduced to "racist this, racist that" even when it isn't.

but when you yell racism, it gets a lot of attention and a certain amount of automatic sympathy.

like so many other originally beneficial red flags, it's now nothing more than a tool with which to slime someone 90% of the time.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:25 pm
Yep, I confess to be weary of it myself. It's a shame because when folks cry racism at the drop of a hat, the more egregious cases will start to get less sympathy.

Happy Monday to you, too, DTOM.
0 Replies