A new low...even for liberal anti-war protesters

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 03:04 pm
cavolina wrote:
You see how easy it is to get off point! You started talking about how crass it was for the anti-war crowd to picket outside the facility treating the wounded. Now you talking about Arnold.

In defense of the anti-war crowd, no one else seems to give a damn about our wounded. They don't talk about them on Rush or Hannity because talking about them would call attention to them.

Attention focused on them might be hard to take since many of them have lost arms and legs or had the skin burned off their bodies. Grotesque reminders of the cost of war.

I am sure that many of you contributing your opinions to this forum have never seen a wounded veteran. You've never seen a dead soldier or lost a close friend in war. I don't say this diminishes your right to opine, but it may in fact narrow your field of experience and hence leave you with less than all the information you need to weigh the cost of war.

I am a veteran. I volunteered. It's easy to criticize people who believe the war is a lie sitting behind a comfortable desk, it's harder to stand up and be counted. Anyone who believes that the anti-war protestors are wrong about this war and believe we should be fighting in Iraq, should not be contributing here, but should be at the enlistment center putting your ass where your mouths is.

hi cavolina, hope you enjoy a2k.

things do get off topic now and then, but generally there's lot's of good political jousting.

i agree with your post 100%.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 03:10 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Nevertheless, she/he/it makes a valid point.

aye, duck. that they do.

and before ya'll totally destroy the uh, person, the part about "most have never seen/done" is pretty accurate, even if only a safe bet. we know for sure that some of the staunchest supporters of the iraq war here have no military experience. same with the other side.

i don't see that as an attack, do you ?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 03:10 pm
Rubber, plastic, bean bags and lead. Thats what the bullets are made out of at a Protest. Tasers, tear gas, german sheperds, billy clubs and horses. One slip by us and were toast and everyone wants to see it. Were americans with balls. We believe whats going on in our country right now deserves more the words. Were trying to bring attention to the policies of the administration that have brought us to were we are at, thats it. Americans are at the front in Iraq and were at the front here. Have you ever seen someones face after a beanbag shotgun shell hit them in the face? I have. They ain't showing that on the news. We could us some support but then so could our kid in the dessert. The rest is bu****it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:19 pm
Amigo wrote:
Rubber, plastic, bean bags and lead. Thats what the bullets are made out of at a Protest. Tasers, tear gas, german sheperds, billy clubs and horses. One slip by us and were toast and everyone wants to see it. Were americans with balls. We believe whats going on in our country right now deserves more the words. Were trying to bring attention to the policies of the administration that have brought us to were we are at, thats it. Americans are at the front in Iraq and were at the front here. Have you ever seen someones face after a beanbag shotgun shell hit them in the face? I have. They ain't showing that on the news. We could us some support but then so could our kid in the dessert. The rest is bu****it.

Maybe if you wouldn't cause trouble then you wouldn't have to see a face after a beanbag hits it. You have no one but yourselves to thank and those that cause riots in the first place.

Remember to duck and wear a hanky over your face so that no one sees who you really are when you destroy someone's business.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 11:13 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Amigo wrote:

Maybe if you wouldn't cause trouble then you wouldn't have to see a face after a beanbag hits it. You have no one but yourselves to thank and those that cause riots in the first place.

Remember to duck and wear a hanky over your face so that no one sees who you really are when you destroy someone's business.
What the hell are you talking about? You've been watching to much fox news buddy.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 01:57 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Amigo wrote:
Rubber, plastic, bean bags and lead. Thats what the bullets are made out of at a Protest. Tasers, tear gas, german sheperds, billy clubs and horses. One slip by us and were toast and everyone wants to see it. .....

a demonstration or an anti-war rally is not a riot. livin' in l.a., i'm sure i can tell the difference.

you really need to get a grip, dude.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 06:29 am
A new low - even for conservative anti=gay demonstrators

Quote:
Anti-Gay Church Protests at GI Funerals
By BETH RUCKER
Associated Press Writer

August 28, 2005, 7:40 AM EDT

SMYRNA, Tenn. -- Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.

The church members were met with scorn from local residents. They chased the church members cars' down a highway, waving flags and screaming "God bless America."

"My husband is over there, so I'm here to show my support," 41-year-old Connie Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. "To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are."

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."
link

So, can we now please move past the idiotic premise that the behavior of isolated groups of folks with extreme views tell us anything much at all about 'liberalism' or 'conservatism'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 06:47 am
That's the work of Fred Phelps, a real nut case.

You can visit his idiocy at God Hates Fags dot com, his website.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 06:55 am
Heehee - my browser has taken this opportunity to advertise "North Carolina Gay singles.com" - and "Gay TV is here - original and classic gay and lesbian programming".

No demographic so lucrative can long remain vilified in the mecca of capitalism itself!

Who would ever think that I would say this:

Go capitalism!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 07:08 am
deb

It's an irony for me as well.

The religious right, though presently in a strategic state of truce with the business/corporate community in the US, must inevitably run into conflicts that will not be breachable. Scientific investigation is one. Profit is another.
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:48 am
Setanta

Obviously you didn't understand the meaning of my post. I don't negate anyone's opinion, I am simply pointing out that people who have never seen the cost of war don't have the complete picture.

I listened to Ben Stein on CBS this morning pointing out that Cindy Sheehan is all wrong and that her son volunteered. Like so many others who want to justify our presence in Iraq, they forget that many of the "volunteers" who are now in Iraq, volunteered to find and fight and kill Osama bin Laden and the rest of the terrorists who attacked us. He, Casey, likely didn't volunteer to fight in Iraq.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:04 am
cavolina wrote:
Setanta

Obviously you didn't understand the meaning of my post. I don't negate anyone's opinion, I am simply pointing out that people who have never seen the cost of war don't have the complete picture.

I listened to Ben Stein on CBS this morning pointing out that Cindy Sheehan is all wrong and that her son volunteered. Like so many others who want to justify our presence in Iraq, they forget that many of the "volunteers" who are now in Iraq, volunteered to find and fight and kill Osama bin Laden and the rest of the terrorists who attacked us. He, Casey, likely didn't volunteer to fight in Iraq.
Nevermind I don't know what the hell i'm talking about.Man that was close. I'm an idiot.Could you imagine if team America A2K was here, Oh boy. Embarrassed.Freeduck, I owe you one compadre.Amigos going back to sleep
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:07 am
Slow down there, amigo. Read it again. I don't think cavolina is saying what you think she or he is saying.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:40 am
cavolina wrote:
You see how easy it is to get off point! You started talking about how crass it was for the anti-war crowd to picket outside the facility treating the wounded. Now you talking about Arnold.

In defense of the anti-war crowd, no one else seems to give a damn about our wounded. They don't talk about them on Rush or Hannity because talking about them would call attention to them.

Attention focused on them might be hard to take since many of them have lost arms and legs or had the skin burned off their bodies. Grotesque reminders of the cost of war.

I am sure that many of you contributing your opinions to this forum have never seen a wounded veteran. You've never seen a dead soldier or lost a close friend in war. I don't say this diminishes your right to opine, but it may in fact narrow your field of experience and hence leave you with less than all the information you need to weigh the cost of war.

I am a veteran. I volunteered. It's easy to criticize people who believe the war is a lie sitting behind a comfortable desk, it's harder to stand up and be counted. Anyone who believes that the anti-war protestors are wrong about this war and believe we should be fighting in Iraq, should not be contributing here, but should be at the enlistment center putting your ass where your mouths is.

This is to much!!!
You need to pull your head out and actually READ what other people write.
I support the war in Iraq 100%!!!

Now,are you going to tell me to go and enlist and put my ass where my mouth is?
I hope you do.
Because then you will find out that I ALREADY DID!!!
I left part of my right hand in Iraq during the invasion.
I was wounded in Nassiriyah.
I am a retired USN hospital corpsman.I was a combat medic with the marines.
I am quite familiar with the cost of war,having seen more casualties and treated more wounded men then I care to remember.

So next time you want to say that those who support the war havent been there,you might want to think twice.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:13 am
All you have to do is look at the enlistment numbers compared to the numbers of people who voted for Bush.If you won't fight for your cause how can you expect the rest of the country to?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:19 am
Amigo wrote:
All you have to do is look at the enlistment numbers compared to the numbers of people who voted for Bush.If you won't fight for your cause how can you expect the rest of the country to?

This is completely assinine of you.
Yes,the first time enlistment numbers are down,but the people that enlisted for the benefits,the travel opportunities,the priveledge of being a veteran are not the kind that would join to actually fight anyway.
BUT,if you look at the RE-ENLISTMENT numbers,you would see that those are up.

Now,from the number of people that voted for Bush,subtract those that are either to old,veterans,those with young children,those with disabilities that preclude them from enlisting,and those that are in the military right now.
Now,how many does that leave?

But,using your logic,then many that claim to be against the war actually arent.
After all,look at the number of people that oppose the war and then look at the very few that are in Crawford with Cindy Sheehan.
Why are you not down there supporting her?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm
cavolina wrote:
her son volunteered.

this one is getting quite a lot these days. in basic terms, what's being said is "they knew what they were getting into". fair enuff. really shouldn't join the military without that understanding that you might get killed, even if it's in an accident during peace time.

however, what bothers me is the way that it gets used, lately. it comes across almost like some are saying it's okay to just throw these guys away, because "they volunteered".

i'm sure that some really think that way, but it couldn't be many, could it ?

just seems like there's a lot of weird justifications being made for the impacts of the war in iraq.

and it's made only that much more obvious by a lack of those same kind of rotating rationalizations regarding afghanistan.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:11 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Amigo wrote:

This is completely assinine of you.
Yes,the first time enlistment numbers are down,but the people that enlisted for the benefits,the travel opportunities,the priveledge of being a veteran are not the kind that would join to actually fight anyway.
BUT,if you look at the RE-ENLISTMENT numbers,you would see that those are up.

Now,from the number of people that voted for Bush,subtract those that are either to old,veterans,those with young children,those with disabilities that preclude them from enlisting,and those that are in the military right now.
Now,how many does that leave?

But,using your logic,then many that claim to be against the war actually aren't.
After all,look at the number of people that oppose the war and then look at the very few that are in Crawford with Cindy Sheehan.
Why are you not down there supporting her?
What language are you speaking? Rumsfeld speak. Sounds like bul***it to me.Why don't you use the internet to inform yourself and search 'Back door draft' then come back. your little equation of words amounts to diddly squat, buddy.You can't fight a war with excuses.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:25 pm
"back door draft"???
Are you really that stupid,or are you just pretending?
In EVERY conflict since WW2,the US military has prevented people from getting out when there time was up.
In WW2,if you were in on Dec 7,1941 you were in till "for the duration of hostilities".

Dont try and pull that crap on me,I've been there,done that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 03:34 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
cavolina wrote:
her son volunteered.

this one is getting quite a lot these days. in basic terms, what's being said is "they knew what they were getting into". fair enuff. really shouldn't join the military without that understanding that you might get killed, even if it's in an accident during peace time.

however, what bothers me is the way that it gets used, lately. it comes across almost like some are saying it's okay to just throw these guys away, because "they volunteered".

i'm sure that some really think that way, but it couldn't be many, could it ?

just seems like there's a lot of weird justifications being made for the impacts of the war in iraq.

and it's made only that much more obvious by a lack of those same kind of rotating rationalizations regarding afghanistan.

I think they are more using that to discredit Cindy Sheehan - kind of a "why should she whine and/or dishonour her son who made the decision to go himself".

She - being, I think, a none too bright or sophisticated woman - kind of opens herself to this kind of sniping because she sort of claims sometimes to speak for her son and such.

I think that a side issue, myself.

She has as much right to speak out as any grieving parent - I don't think the snipers would be complaining if she were extolling the nobility of the cause in which the poor damn young fella died.

That being said, I think MM something of an exception among most of those who eagerly promote and defend the war here in that he is happy to risk himself in the thing.
0 Replies